View previous topic | View next topic

Prawn Crackers

Page 1 of 1

jjessami
430905.  Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:28 am Reply with quote

I enjoyed a Chinese take away at the weekend. However afterwards we were left with a bag of un eaten prawn crackers. My friend told me to put them in the Microwave, and they would stay fresh and crunchy for a few days..
I was amazed the next day, removing the bag from the Microwave, the Prawn Crackers were fresh and still crunchy…
They were just left in there overnight….

Why do they stay crunchy? Please can somebody explain.. Is this magic or science???

Neotenic
430920.  Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:58 am Reply with quote

I would imagine that the magic trick would be just as effective if you replaced the word 'microwave' with 'tupperware'.

One would assume that a microwave is a fairly airtight container, after all.

jjessami
430949.  Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote

mmmmm..... You make a very good point... As I have never had occation to save Prawn Crackers before, in Microwave or "Tupperware".. I will have to seek advice from a regular user of Prawn Crackers... Maybe he can confirm if the effects of Mircowave versus Tupperware a replicated.

jjessami
430951.  Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:34 am Reply with quote

Simon,

Re: Prawn Crackers staying CRUNCHY in the mircowave….. Would the effect be the same if said Prawn Crackers were placed in "Tupperware" or some other air tight container?

Please confirm?

James

Rudolph Hucker
430961.  Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote

I haven't been able to eat prawn crackers since I did a project in a prawn processing plant and saw where all the sweepings went.

IndigoMay
690400.  Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote

Hi,

I've done a little research and come up with a theory. The process of gluten etc. forming hard crystals and becoming stale, is advanced by 2 conditions: water (so yes, a Tupperware box and microwave would both keep moisture out), and a cool temperature (here the microwave has the advantage). As a cooking devise that is usually cool to the touch, a microwave must have exceptional thermal insulation. If you leave crackers un-insulated, the cold night temperatures will accelerate the process of becoming stale, compared to crackers insulated by a microwave.

It's just a theory for you. I cannot test it, as we never have chinese food in my house (due to allergies). Sorry

Page 1 of 1