View previous topic | View next topic

Potty Mouthed Young Ladies

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

blueshearer
425055.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:54 pm Reply with quote

On my birthday today I attended the blood and guts local derby between Bolton Wanderers and Blackburn Rovers (my choice of team). I decided to celebrate my birthday by having half a shandy prior to the match and joined the shortest queue. In front of me were three young ladies (about 15 years of age) who were drinking alcohol and obviously intended to drink more. All of a sudden I was startled when they started to sing a song about todays opponents - the song contained references to masturbation. Then they started singing what I must admit was a catchy song about our other local rivals Burnley. The lyrics to this poem I cannot repeat on this site and certainly wouldnt even type whilst the wife is present; However it called the Burnley football club illegitemate and three words used in cruder vernacular for a womans private parts. I was flabbergasted by the fact that three young ladies not only knew these words but were leading the chanting of them.
When it was noticed that I wasnt joining in with the song one of the young ladies asked why I wasnt joining in. My response was that I was in the queue for a shandy and would perhaps sing some songs when seated in the ground did not go down well. I was subjected to a tirade of verbal abuse including more foul language by 2 of the young ladies then the third young lady tried to direct a punch at my face which because of my former boxing prowess I managed to avoid which resulted in the poor young lady smashing her hand into a metal post behind me. I spent the next 15 minutes trying to console the poor thing.
On reflection in order to guide young ladies such as these I think the next time I go to a football match I will take with me some copies of The Pocket Shakespeare which I can give them in the hope that they may consider the language they are using. Only by doing this do I think they will be successful in meeting the right beau to settle down with. Are others concerned by the worrying trend of young ladies being potty mouthed?

Ion Zone
425061.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote

I think all that, now absent, sugar and spice was down to peer pressure. When presure to be nice is removed, and when culture goes down hill, I might add, women can be just as foul-mouthed and belligerent as men are supposed to be.

It's all down to what society lets people do. For instance, I know more girls who play GT Auto than men.

bobwilson
425066.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote

I was hoping there was going to be a punchline at the end of the tale

suze
425079.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:26 pm Reply with quote

I'd have to say that foul language doesn't really bother me at all. Which is just as well really, since I have my own moments of potty-mouthedness. For sure, there are times when it really isn't appropriate - but if I went to a football match I'd expect to hear it.

The notion that the use of foul language by males is OK, but by females it isn't, seems to have long been held in the UK. All I can really say on that is that there was no such notion when I was growing up in Vancouver. I'm sure we did once have it, but it had gone by then from Canada - as by now it has in the UK (among the young, at least).

It worries me rather more that one of these young women aimed a punch at blueshearer simply because he didn't want to join in with the song. There are those who would like to exclude alcohol entirely from football grounds, and that's the way things work in Scotland. And if its consumption (especially by people under the required age) leads to that kind of behaviour, that can only lend support to that point of view.

Sebastian flyte
425081.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote

Some underage drinkers are comparatively perfect gentlemen however. :D

bobwilson
425095.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Only by doing this do I think they will be successful in meeting the right beau to settle down with

Actually, I think blueshearer's problem is that he's under the impression that the function of young humans of the female persuasion is "to find the right beau to settle down with" (although I'd prefer to use "with which to settle down" - prepositions at the end of sentences is so .......).

suze
425133.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quote

If a preposition is not an entity with which one should end a sentence, then the debate is in fact as to whether the function of young humans of the female persuasion is, or is not, to find the right beau with whom to settle down.

bobwilson
425139.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote

doh!

npower1
425164.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:30 pm Reply with quote

If the physical abuse wasn't involved I would put this down to simple language development. In my youth such words as damn, lord, bugger, bastard, were considered as expletives. At that time any one using such words as punctuation (rather than uh, oh,) were thought as uneducated since such usage indicated they didn't have a wider vocabulary. Then these words became common usage. Everyone used them, so their use lost the 'uneducated' implications. At the same time youth recognised that they no longer had the 'rights' to these words, so they had to find their own. These are such words as 'fxxx' and 'cxxx'. Whilst to me, and presumably to others of my generation, these words were the extremes of damn, bugger, bastard, to our youngsters they are simple replacements, having no more emotional impact than damn, lord, nigger (controversial one), bastard had on us in our youth.

A reasonable theory or not?

bobwilson
425168.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote

Personally, I'd prefer young people to punctuate their sentences with fuck and cunting rather than with like.

Consider

"I was like, 'you dissing me' and she was like 'don't come it with me bitch'"

or

I said "fuck you" and she said "don't try fucking with me you cunt"

I think the second is more expressive. But that's just an opinion.

suze
425172.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote

npower, your theory is a very reasonable one - when "damn" ceased to be regarded as strong cursing, those who had a desire to strongly curse did it with different words.

What I'm not sure is where it goes next. "Fuck" has long been regarded as the second strongest curse word in the language, but by now it's lost any "uneducated" association it may once have had. No one seems to have come up with any new, even stronger, curse words so I don't know what happens next.

("Cunt" is a bit of a special case; a lot of people, especially women, really don't like the word and never use it, even if they are perfectly happy with other curse words. Personally, I'd never call someone that as in bob's sentence, but I do on occasion use the word as a term for a part of the female anatomy.)

bobwilson
425175.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:56 pm Reply with quote

"Cunt" is a bit of an oddity as a swear-word. I can't think of another example of a common word which is universally bleeped (in all forms of communication bar this enlightened forum I haten to add). "Fuck" will get bleeped on some channels (sometimes inappropriately - cf the FUK incident on Dave) but not on others.

Strangely, the most militant feminist women that I know make a point of using "cunt" to refer to female genitalia - perhaps in an attempt to reinvent/reclaim the word in the same way that "gay" was reclaimed?

suze
425188.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote

The bleeping (in speech) or asterisking (in print) of curse words is a thing with which I can't really be doing any more than bob can, so I apologise if their full forms offend anyone.

I too have met some of those militant feminist women - and the notion of "Reclaiming Cunt" has certainly not gone unnoticed; one of the Vagina Monologues is all about it.

Not that I'm a militant feminist. If I were in casual conversation with any of you guys and found it necessary to refer to that body part, well that isn't the word I'd likely use for it. Intimate conversation with my husband is another matter entirely, but I shall spare you the details.

bobwilson
425191.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:22 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Intimate conversation with my husband is another matter entirely, but I shall spare you the details.

phew ;)

blueshearer
425192.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote

lets get this straight

c*** is generally used as an abusive word as in you C*** by men
tw** is used as an abusive word as in you T*** by men
f*** is used because its more accepted on tv for a variety of reasons including for its original intention as a description of having sex

yes and emilys have reclaimed the words because men were using words that referred to their genitalia as derogative terms. The worrying thing is the ease with which they were used at todays match by the young ladies. I can honestly say none of these young ladies were militant feminists

even as an older person who often uses these words in the ways mentioned above I can know the differnce between using the words creatively or abusively

Thanks for the grammatic education above - you obviously went back to university after your successful goalkeeping career but im not at work anymore and errors are inevitable. I apologise to all you literary wizzkids - too much Jilly reading poste Dante. I'll never forget your fantastic double save at wembley

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next