View previous topic | View next topic

Getting Lost and Found

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

blueshearer
437451.  Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote

Tomorrow is the 138th anniversary of the day the lost explorer Livingstone was found by Sherlock "Stanley, just before he threw himself into Lake Tanganyika. A prolonged wait for the 219 bus to Blantyre seemed to be proving fruitless.
I recall a similar event in my younger "hich hiking" days when being dropped off in the middle of nowhere in the south of France. I had no map, money or food, only a phone number. After a walk of at least 10 miles to find a phone box I managed to contact my "Stanley" and was safely transported to Montpellier before dark. Has anyone else felt lost only to be...............

Posital
437507.  Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote

Almost:

Was once hitching across the UK - and got stuck in a blizzard (it was some years ago) on a motorway junction in the middle of nowhere and getting late.

After some hours - I managed to get a lift (some farmer with a new car who was willing to drive quite some way out of his way (he was originally going to feed his cows))

with the sign:
"Anywhere - I'm cold"

thegrandwazoo
437573.  Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:30 pm Reply with quote

Shouldn't this be on the Richard Dawkins thread?

AnneB
439390.  Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote

First, I'm a Yank. That might explain my ignorance, and my ending up, late one Sunday afternoon, at the Bodmin Parkway railway station (at the end of a dirt road somewhere in Bodmin Moor, for those who've never had the pleasure)...where the station was closed, the bus wasn't running, and the telephone was out of order, so I couldn't call for a taxi.

It was the first and only time I've hitch-hiked. My rescuers were a family of four in a Volvo wagon. I rode in the back, since the second seat was occupied by children in safety seats.

I ended up in Wadebridge at the Bridge on Wool, where I had my first ever Cornish Cream.

Cheers!

QiScorpion
439572.  Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote

i was once "missing" ....

basically a friend had asked me to go with her to a separate friend's house in a different part of the village. i said i'd ask dad. i stuck my head in the door, asked, and heard a "yes." so off i went. when i came back i found police outside the house. i went inside. turns out dad had been asleep so hadn't actually replied, or if he had, he'd been sleeptalking. thus i'd gone missing, for about an hour and a half.

bobwilson
439710.  Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote

AnneB wrote:
First, I'm a Yank. That might explain my ignorance, and my ending up, late one Sunday afternoon, at the Bodmin Parkway railway station (at the end of a dirt road somewhere in Bodmin Moor, for those who've never had the pleasure)...where the station was closed, the bus wasn't running, and the telephone was out of order, so I couldn't call for a taxi.

It was the first and only time I've hitch-hiked. My rescuers were a family of four in a Volvo wagon. I rode in the back, since the second seat was occupied by children in safety seats.

I ended up in Wadebridge at the Bridge on Wool, where I had my first ever Cornish Cream.

Cheers!

actually - the station would have been open, the telephone worked and the bus was running. We just do this to yanks every now and then as retribution (cf - illegal USAF bases in the UK, ludicrous extradition treaties, extraordinary rendition - for which read torture, etc). You do seem to have been rescued by a decent family though - lucky break.

Starfish13
439788.  Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:01 am Reply with quote

AnneB wrote:

Oooooh! Stay off the moor, stick to the road...

AnneB
439958.  Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:12 am Reply with quote

I kept looking over my shoulder for that hound...

(Wrong moor, I know.)

Celebaelin
439961.  Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quote

But then there's the Beast of Bodmin (allegedly)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beast_of_Bodmin_Moor

Last edited by Celebaelin on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

AnneB
439970.  Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote

I think I met him in a pub.

mckeonj
439973.  Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote

I was lost at sea, but found again, fortunately.

Posital
439997.  Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
I was lost at sea, but found again, fortunately.

Gravestone Epitaph:

Here lies the body of Erza Pound,
Who was lost at sea and never found.

Unfortunately, mckeonj doesn't rhyme.

Davini994
440024.  Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:31 pm Reply with quote

Here lies the body of Mckeonj,
Who was lost at sea - but not for longj.

Ion Zone
440141.  Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Here lies the body of Erza Pound,

If they had left off the last line it would have been an intriging enigma. :]

mckeonj
440162.  Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quote

HIC IACET CAVSIDICUS

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next