View previous topic | View next topic

Ewood Park

Page 1 of 1

Timon
424040.  Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:36 pm Reply with quote

Ewood Park is the home ground of the English football team Blackburn Rovers.
Rovers' hay day was in the late 1800's when they where a significant force in the early days of the football league. The turn of the 20th century saw BRFC decline into football mediocrity where they remained until the 1990's. It was only in 1995 that the team once again entered the public consciousness when, after a cash injection from steel baron Jack Walker, Blackburn became the first team to buy the Premiership.
Blackburn born Jack Walker had somehow managed to profit from Maggie Thatcher's privatization debacle, making him a very rich man. Despite having long ago abandoned his home town to live in Jersey he inexplicably decided to invest in BRFC.
Ignoring any kind of continuity or team loyalty Jack's cash allowed the side to push aside other teams struggling to reach the top by traditional methods and in 1995 Blackburn Rovers won the Premiership.
Blackburn's fortunes soon waned and they began the slow slide into the mediocrity whence they came. Their legacy lives on however in the proliferation of Premiership sides in the 21st century using finance to secure a place at the top of English football.

blueshearer
424447.  Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote

In response to Mr Timons blatherings about Blackburn Rovers and as a regular attendee at both home and away matches for over 35 years I feel I need to clarify a few points. Mr Timon asserts that the Rovers fortunes turned for the worse at the turn of the 20th Century when in fact they were First Division Champions in both 1912 and 1914 and but for the war they may have had more success. They also went on to win the FA Cup in 1928. As far a buying the league goes Im afraid things are not that simple as any Liverpool fanatic will concur. I think it was more the astute use of (I agree) significant amounts of funding from King Jack and the coaching skills of King Kenny Dalgleish that secured the Premiership. Unfortunately Jack Walker died but the club with comparatively small resources has continued to hold its own qualifying for Europe on a number of occasions and have won the Mickey Mouse cup against the supposedly mighty Tottenham Hotspur who at the moment seem incapable of winning an egg and spoon race in a school playground despite massive outlays of money. Mr Timon which football team do you support?

Davini994
424450.  Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote

Are you two RL friends by any chance?

Timon
424461.  Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote

blueshearer wrote:
Mr Timon which football team do you support?

The last couple years I supported Manchester United having supported Chelsea for a couple of years before that. I have not really made up my mind this year but at the moment I am leaning toward Chelsea again.

Davini994 wrote:
Are you two RL friends by any chance?

If I had any friends would I be spending Friday night posting on a web forum?

blueshearer
424464.  Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote

We appear to have some sort of internet based relationship that is often challenged by ideologies that are poles apart but I quite enjoy educating the upstart as he progresses into adulthood. Mr Timon is obviously an iintelligent person who is keen on researching a variety of topics and to then share his knowledge with the forum. As for myself I prefer to just stick to what I know and not resort to bullying tactics that he employed in the discussion on Magic Realism in the G Forum. Anyway Blackburn Rovers to win away at Bolton tomorrow where I will be venting my spleen to shed the anxieties caused by this fragile internet relationship. If we lose I will resort to listening to the pop ditties of Leonard Cohen as mentioned in another forum to cheer myself up.

Timon
424471.  Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote

blueshearer wrote:
We appear to have some sort of internet based relationship.......

I don't know whether to feel flattered, insulted or just plain scared. Does your nickname imply you are some sort of shaven raver?

blueshearer
424580.  Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote

as mentioned previously I stick to what I know and dont pander to the more modern ways of addressing body hair - a simple bic around the chops will do me thank you very much - please dont get too personal on this forum - the original discussion was about Blackburn Rovers whose game I might be eliminating from my calender tomorrow given Sebastiens comments on the Picasso forum

Timon
424585.  Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:21 pm Reply with quote

blueshearer wrote:
as mentioned previously I stick to what I know and dont pander to the more modern ways of addressing body hair

Sorry if I have offended you blueshearer. Remember just because something is considered modern it does not mean it is necessarily wrong. I am sure the wife you have mentioned elsewhere would be over the moon if you tidied yourself up a little. I was not suggesting anything in the line of topiary.

Timon
424587.  Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote

I was reminded of this joke.

I was sitting next to a blond and she was reading the newspaper. I glanced over and one of the headlines read "12 Brazilian Soldiers Killed".

She was shaking her head with at the news, tears welled in her eyes. She turned to me and asked "How many is a Brazilian?"

thegrandwazoo
424612.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote

Apropos Blackburn Rovers. I attended the holy of holies (now renamed The Theatre of Dreams) in the early 60's.(probably the last year Blackburn played in the old First Div.) A welsh thug called Mike England(later to play for Tottingham Notsohotspur) assaulted the blessed Harry Greig which resulted in a general fracas, Harry being sent off, the Stretford End decamping en masse onto the pitch with the sole aim of upbraiding the referee and said celtic hooligan. As a 9 yr old I was transfixed by this spectacle and the sight of the now windowless Blackburn team coach as I left the ground. It instilled in me the British spirit of fair play I hold so dear to this day. Ah the good old days!

blueshearer
425038.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote

Im so glad that sort of spectacle doesnt occur as much today though I had a scary experience at the dreadful Reebok (is that another musical instument in diguise - see Mastering the Mandolin thread) Stadium today which I will relate later this evening when Im suitably medicated and able to compose myself. I remember Mike England playing for BRFC and Wales - he was a well respected centre half and went on to get something called an MBE which I hope was nothing too serious - Ive been to the Theatre of Dreams each time Blackburn have played there for many years and seen it grow. I dont know what the seating is like for home afficiandos but for visitors the gap between yout seat and the row in front is barely enough to stand in let alone sit - being quite a large person I always ask for an aisle seat so I can swing my legs round to the steps - unfortunately if I get the seat on the left side of the aisle I spend most of the time watching the crowd and not the game or end up with my head on the wrong way round. Im sure you can picture what I mean

thegrandwazoo
425228.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote

Sadly my trips to worship at the shrine of football as she should be played were curtailed in 1966 (blessed year!)when I was dragged away from civilisation to the hell hole and footballing wasteland that was Birmingham. I never got back into going to matches again and have never been in the current incarnation of the stadium. I used to go to matches with my mate and his 15 year old brother to look after us. We always went in the Stretford End ( my mother was obviously blissfully ignorant). I was there with over 60,000 in the ground against the scouse enemy. We started to leave early as we were 3-1 down. By the time we got to the bus it was 3-3. Never leave early! I can't believe how quiet the ground sounds on telly at times. I remember the deafening roar that used to be in there.While I would never want to see the level of hooliganism again the atmosphere would be welcome.

Page 1 of 1