View previous topic | View next topic

Albums you buy but never listen to

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Timon
424596.  Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote

The biggest mistake I ever made in this line was well before the days of the internet. I remember that, after attending a house party on Derby Rd, Southampton, I was so beguiled by the art student types I had encountered there that I thought it was a good idea to buy a Van der Graph Generator album (vinyl in those days). I did play the LP once and to this day I still wish it had remained in its plastic wrapper - or better still in the shop.

Timon
424599.  Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote

blueshearer wrote:
.....can we keep to the subject and not focus on my peripheral neuropathy. Thanks You

Don't be so touchy blueshearer (no pun intended).

Timon
424600.  Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:19 pm Reply with quote

Reminded of another joke.

There was a man who entered a local paper's pun contest. He sent in ten
different puns, in the hope that at least one of the puns would win. Unfortunately, no pun in ten did.

Ion Zone
425067.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote

I've never actually bought any music. I've listened to some of my brothers stuff, but mostly the radio. I think I'd like heavy rock or something like that, but I've never really been interested. I sometimes have classical as a background on the radio, but I don't own any. Pop is too silly and unsatisfying, that screaming stuff is unintelligible, and radio one only ever has a dozen songs on a loop.

thegrandwazoo
425232.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:54 pm Reply with quote

Ion Zone wrote:
I've never actually bought any music. I've listened to some of my brothers stuff, but mostly the radio. I think I'd like heavy rock or something like that, but I've never really been interested. I sometimes have classical as a background on the radio, but I don't own any. Pop is too silly and unsatisfying, that screaming stuff is unintelligible, and radio one only ever has a dozen songs on a loop.

I would find a life without music (of almost any genre) so incredibly empty I can't bear to think of it. How on earth Beethoven could cope mentally and emotionally with the loss of his hearing let alone continue to produce wonderful compositions is beyond me.
I know we are all different IZ but do try and make the effort. If you think you might like some heavy rock have a good listen to your brothers stuff. Who knows it may light up your life. ( Or ruin your hearing).

AndyMcH
425259.  Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote

... anmd dont worry about pop being "silly" - its ok to enjoy accessible music...

Also classical, pop, the "screaming stuff" and heavy rock each are so wide ranging within their own genres Im sure there are plenty artists from all these boxes you could enjoy..

Bondee
425519.  Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:44 am Reply with quote

I've bought several limited edition albums over the years that have stayed sealed. I look upon them as an investment. Most of them were released in stupidly low quantities on coloured vinyl. I have a few that I've opened and wished I hadn't when I've seen how much they're going for on eBay.

blueshearer
425642.  Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:28 pm Reply with quote

Just unwrapped an album by someone called Roger Hoover and the Whiskey Hounds called Panic Blues - no idea who they are, who or why I bought it - its pure drivel. Suze - it might be right up your street as there is a definite Eagles influence running through it - can you hear it in the background? Its life in this house is to be a short one.

suze
425762.  Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote

Ah, now then! Yes, I have heard Roger Hoover - to me his music is more reminiscent of Neil Young than of The Eagles, but you're right in thinking that I don't dislike it.

Arcane
425855.  Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:43 pm Reply with quote

'Fraid to say I'm now of the iPod generation. Rather than go and buy an album, I go to iTunes and select the music I want there. I'm quite annoyed that I have dozens and dozens of CD's taking up space - many of them have 4 tracks or less out of all of them on that album that I like. What do I do with them all now?! (I think they'll be ending up in the charity box)

Plus, I seem to enjoy music of my earlier days than a lot of music now, and I'm not about to go searching through gazillions of CD's to find that one elusive track, spend $20 on it and then have it take up space. I love my iPod, think iTunes is a saving grace and I'm not afraid to say it! ;-D

ericmakesthree
426017.  Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:23 am Reply with quote

I do remember that on a similar vein - one of the major book retailers put book marks in the middle of books saying somethign along the lines of if you find this you can ring the following number to go into a prize draw to find out if people were actually reading books bought for them and the book that was most bought but least read all the way through was a brief history of time by prof hawking...

Moosh
426157.  Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:09 am Reply with quote

ericmakesthree wrote:
I do remember that on a similar vein - one of the major book retailers put book marks in the middle of books saying somethign along the lines of if you find this you can ring the following number to go into a prize draw to find out if people were actually reading books bought for them and the book that was most bought but least read all the way through was a brief history of time by prof hawking...

Surely that just says that the people who read A Brief History of Time all the way through are less likely to ring a number to be in a Prize Draw?

djgordy
426303.  Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote

Why is this in the "E Series Talk"?

thegrandwazoo
426339.  Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:01 pm Reply with quote

Possibly because blueshearer had been celebrating his birthday over- enthusiastically (allegedly).

Timon
426540.  Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:22 pm Reply with quote

thegrandwazoo wrote:
Possibly because blueshearer had been celebrating his birthday over- enthusiastically (allegedly).

Pictures old man in underpants wandering aimlessly from room to room, wondering what he came in here for.
Incidentally, have you ever thought that that is pretty much how a dog spends its whole life (minus the underpants that is).

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next