View previous topic | View next topic

Self-esteem problem.

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

swot
426095.  Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:20 am Reply with quote

Ahhh low self-esteem. I, like Sane-Girl, have no interest in in drivelly magazines, and yet have little to no self esteem much of the time.

It's not all about the looks (though overhearing some of the conversations at work, it's largely about the looks). It is quite annoying though that even when you have absolutely no desire whatsoever to conform with the over-primped, airheaded bitches, they can still make you feel like crap. Or feel like killing them (and those kind of thoughts really don't make you feel good about yourself).

For me it's mainly the tedious business of lifelong shyness/junior school/high school/sibling bullies affecting the self esteem (though having spent a few months being told how lovely I am certainly helps :)).

Davini994
426205.  Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote

Alfred E Neuman wrote:
Yeah, but does it pull chicks?

cabs
426208.  Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote

Davini, were I wearing a hat I would have taken it off.

I might just go out and buy one in order to doff it.

djgordy
426223.  Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:35 am Reply with quote

no1 school swot wrote:

This is the first and last time I shal be referred to as a 'chick'.

Quite right. "Totty" would be a much better description!

Davini994
426229.  Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote

cabs wrote:
Davini, were I wearing a hat I would have taken it off.

I might just go out and buy one in order to doff it.

Thanks! Well that's my self esteem problem sorted out...

cabs
426230.  Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quote

"Skirt" also works.

Fifi
426246.  Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote

I think the problem with self-esteem is that is doesn't always sit in the realm of reality and logic.

Even sane, intelligent people who know they contribute to society and are decent people can end up feeling shite about how they look. Even when they know that they want more from life and are interested in much more than looks.

Society on a shallow level tells us that how we look matters and will make a difference to how you get on in life. I think in reality life is what you make of it and being a good person is more important but it seeps into your brain!

dr.bob
426638.  Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:56 am Reply with quote

no1 school swot wrote:
For me it's mainly the tedious business of lifelong shyness/junior school/high school/sibling bullies affecting the self esteem

Yeah, that sounds familiar. I had extremely low self-esteem up to about the age of 21 for pretty much identical reasons. At that point I managed to learn that I really needn't give a flying fuck about what other people think of me.

I realised that there are 6 billion people in the world, of all different shapes, sizes, beliefs, and temperaments. It's pretty much impossible that all of them are going to like me, so I'll just have to put up with the fact that some people are not going to like me. Heigh ho, their loss. I'll just ignore them and enjoy the company of people I do get on with.

Sounds simple to say, but it was bloody hard to really learn. Once I did, though, life became a lot better and my self-esteem problems were drastically improved.

no1 school swot wrote:
(though having spent a few months being told how lovely I am certainly helps :)).

Yeah, that certainly doesn't hurt! :)

Arcane
426691.  Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:02 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
. At that point I managed to learn that I really needn't give a flying fuck

Righto then Davini Mr-Smarty-pants, find a picture of THAT.

Arcane
426693.  Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:09 am Reply with quote

A familiar tale - I was bullied extensively at school and also had some rather unfortunate bullying influences elsewhere. My first reaction had always been when someone is nasty to me is to run and hide, back down, and feel responsible for their anger. However - when it comes to having to tell your child how to stick up for herself (parents have to teach their children these things, however, I was not), suddenly gave me the wake up call I needed. Here I was telling her all these clever and confidence boosting things, but yet I couldn't do them myself! Now, if someone has a go, I take a deep breath, clear my mind, calm my heart rate down and quickly and firmly put them back in their place!!! My self esteem on some levels is still quite crap (my weight issues, my lack of further formal education makes me feel quite inferior at times and my lack of ability to make a quiet organised life!) but on the whole, it's a heck of a lot better than it was even a year ago.

So now, I am not to be messed with. I will not be rude, but if you are to me, expect to be put back in your place quick smart.

dr.bob
426702.  Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:25 am Reply with quote

reddygirl wrote:
Righto then Davini Mr-Smarty-pants, find a picture of THAT.

<acts as a locum Davini>

Davini994
426706.  Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:54 am Reply with quote

Good work Dr B, good work.

samivel
426724.  Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:36 am Reply with quote

Indeed. Worthy of applause, that.

<applauds>

Arcane
426770.  Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:26 am Reply with quote

*stands up and applauds*

Oh yes, standing ovation there dr.bob. Bravo!

(that's one in the eye for you Dave)

96aelw
426794.  Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:51 am Reply with quote

One in the eye from a flying fuck would surely require a passing amorous avian of surpassing marksmanship.

If it's amorous avians you want, there are some pictures of swifts establishing very friendly relations whilst airborne here. Even that looks like it would need pretty good aim.

Last edited by 96aelw on Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next