View previous topic | View next topic

"G" gaffes, goof ups and other gormless gaucheries

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

suze
758206.  Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote

I don't often say this, but well done Medway Council!

Incidentally, the marine cadets incident referred to. This happened in December 1951 when a group of Royal Marines cadets were marching to the Chatham dockyard to attend a boxing competition. It was about 6.00 and hence dark, and it was also foggy - and the group of cadets was hit by a bus. 24 of the 52 cadets marching died; a memorial service is still held every year at Gillingham Cemetery.

Lori.o
758585.  Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote

The above link to see the new photos of the graves isn't working, this link should:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Lori.Oschefski/WoodlandsCemetery

The last photos in the album were taken yesterday and show the masonry pieces cleaned and placed back on the graves. And I agree Suze, well done Medway Council!!

Lori.o
792708.  Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:14 pm Reply with quote

Medway council is erecting a memorial in the Gillingham Park to mark this event, lost lives and the spot in the park where this tragedy took place. The official opening of this memorial is scheduled for Sunday July 10 2011. Times and schedule will be announced at a later time.

Lori.o
821374.  Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote

On behalf of the Medway Council and myself, we are pleased to announce the official opening of the new Gilllingham Park Tragedy Memorial. The unveiling ceremony will take place on Sunday July the 10th at 11:30 am sharp at the Park Avenue entrance of the Gillingham Park. The Mayor of Medway, Cllr Ted Baker will give an address and will officially unveil the new memorial. Scheduled exhibitions include local historian Philip MacDougal presenting "Gillingham at work, rest and play in 1929", The Fire Service Preservation Group, The Kent Family History Society Medway. The Kent Fire and Rescue Service will be in the opening parade as well as have a fire engine on display in the park.

We are hoping to see as many out as possible for this day which is promising to be an event to remember. My plane tickets are booked!!

suze
821384.  Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote

Lori, I'll probably go to that. Thanks for posting.

Lori.o
825824.  Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote

suze, stop by and say hello if you make it! I'll be speaking at the unveiling, so you'll know who I am...the very nervous one!! ByGone Kent has featured this tragedy in this months magazine. They did a great job on it!

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2