View previous topic | View next topic

Eden, Garden of

Page 1 of 1

violetriga
122329.  Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:53 pm Reply with quote

What was the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden?

Apple? *KLAXON*

Quote:
Genesis depicts Adam and Eve leading the plush life in Eden. They may eat fruit from any tree except one, "the tree of the knowledge of good and evil." Unsurprisingly, they eat the forbidden fruit and are expelled from paradise. [T]he original Hebrew says only "fruit," but in latter-day Western art ranging from serious religious painting to about a million cartoons, the item in question is invariably depicted as an apple.

Early rabbis suggested the fruit was:

* the fig, because the next verse mentions sewing together fig leaves to make loincloths;

* grapes, which later cause trouble for Noah, not to mention many other vino lovers;

* the citron, a lemonlike fruit which in Hebrew is etrog, a pun on ragag, "desire";

* wheat, khitah in Hebrew and thus a pun on khet, "sin" a stretch, considering wheat isn't a fruit and doesn't grow on trees; or

* the carob, because in Hebrew its name puns on the word for "destruction."

Many modern scholars think the author(s) of the text had the pomegranate in mind.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/061124.html

djgordy
122387.  Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:49 pm Reply with quote

It was probably supposed to be a metaphorical fruit rather than a real fruit.

Not a Number
122449.  Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:24 am Reply with quote

djgordy, what are you doing with that can opener? And where have all the worms gone?

calindreams
419448.  Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:50 am Reply with quote

I've heard the fruit could be 'cannabis' or 'having sex'. But I'm with djordy on this one.

I can say that the snake was telling the truth about eating it, whereas God lied. Eve lied a little bit by saying that God said not to eat of the tree or even touch it. God never said anything about touching it.

Could there be any particular reasons why this story and the story of Pandora are so similar?

Page 1 of 1