View previous topic | View next topic

Günter Grass, Gabriel García Márquez and Gravity's Rainbow.

Page 1 of 1

Timon
423371.  Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:00 am Reply with quote

Is that enough Gs to shoehorn a discussion on Magic Realism into this forum? I think I should say right away that I find the term Magic Realism a very unsatisfactory label for these works, but hey ho…
Any list of QI authors would surely have Thomas Pynchon close to the top. Gravity’s Rainbow is a treasure trove of obscure references – one of the easier aspects of the book to enjoy.
Gunter Grass’s The Tin Drum is one of my favorite books, it centers on the minuscule Oskar Matzerath – John Irving gave the eponymous hero of “ A Prayer for Owen Meany” the same initials in an homage to Grass’s novel.
Gabriel García Márquez’s “One Hundred Years of Solitude” is considered by many as a seminal example of Magic Realism.
Another work often mentioned in this connection is Milan Kundera’s “The Incredible Lightness of Being”. Kundera would also fit into the group of writers having written in languages other than their mother tongue, as discussed elsewhere.... post 423126 I think Grass might fall into this group as well, can anyone confirm or deny this?

Topically, Kundera and Grass are linked in this current news story.

http://www.ceskenoviny.cz/news/index_view.php?id=338564

blueshearer
423898.  Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote

surely joyces finnegans wake is not written in his mother tongue and is a pure piece of magic realism.

However for a more detailed in particular of the use of language other than the mother tongue one only has to look at african writers for a detailed analysis of the position.

http://www.unc.edu/~ottotwo/mothertongue.html

blueshearer
423914.  Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote

you might want to ditch that rubbish that thomas pyncheon has spewed out and consider taking a short course in louis de bernieres admirable pulp writing - it can be found at most railway station newsagents and will help you while away a tedious journey through the endless drudgery of a train journet through the lake district or the drab highlands of scotland. May I alos suggest you buy a one pence copy of bangladesh comic writer nasreen jahan who has written some sort of magic realism type rubbish obviously to support people to pass endless years without the comfort of alcohol and the like. Let me know how you get on with them both - I think they would have made a marriage in heaven

Timon
423923.  Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote

blueshearer wrote:
you might want to ditch that rubbish that thomas pyncheon has spewed out and consider taking a short course in louis de bernieres admirable pulp writing - it can be found at most railway station newsagents and will help you while away a tedious journey through the endless drudgery of a train journet through the lake district or the drab highlands of scotland. May I alos suggest you buy a one pence copy of bangladesh comic writer nasreen jahan who has written some sort of magic realism type rubbish obviously to support people to pass endless years without the comfort of alcohol and the like. Let me know how you get on with them both - I think they would have made a marriage in heaven

If I argue with a person who seems tragically to have lost several fingers I am only going to look like a bully.

blueshearer
423947.  Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote

I apologise about the typing errors in my previous post - yes unfortunately one digit from each hand is prone to peripheral neuropathy due to serious alcohol abuse and the like. I promise to type slowly and do a spellcheck before posting in future. Please dont beat yourself up about being a bully - there are lots of people on successful television series such as Life on Mars and the x Factor who have made a career out of such behaviour - good luck in your career, I hope you have the same success

blueshearer
423950.  Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:23 pm Reply with quote

sorry mr timon I forgot to mention Im about to retire to bed to read some further magic realism called the new testament written by some obscure authors - I will say a prayer for you and tomorrow will do a websearch for counselling for people who have a problem with people with dodgy fingers. I will forward any information I find on my return from finger therapy tomorrow evening. Have a restful night.

Timon
423978.  Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:03 pm Reply with quote

blueshearer wrote:
sorry mr timon I forgot to mention Im about to retire to bed to read some further magic realism called the new testament written by some obscure authors - I will say a prayer for you and tomorrow will do a websearch for counselling for people who have a problem with people with dodgy fingers. I will forward any information I find on my return from finger therapy tomorrow evening. Have a restful night.

Thank you, I will sleep the sleep of the just as normal. My heart is as ever with the digitally challenged and it is at times like these I thank heaven I have all ten fingers to gesticulate with.

blueshearer
423982.  Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote

unfortunately mr timon i cannot sleep because of your comment and the rubbish in the book I previously referred to which makes references to unfortunate people called lepers (is that a spelling mistake) whose digits apparently fall off and for obvious reasons cannot be picked up again and taken to the nearest medical provision for reattachment. This has obviously been a recurrent problem throughout a long period of history and one would have expected to have been addressed after the creation of the NHS in the fifties. Maybe we could start a "digit" campaign to get this and my problem sorted out. It amy (sic) also alter your career path from bully to advocate for the digitally challenged.

Timon
423985.  Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote

blueshearer wrote:
unfortunately mr timon i cannot sleep because of your comment and the rubbish in the book I previously referred to which makes references to unfortunate people called lepers (is that a spelling mistake) whose digits apparently fall off and for obvious reasons cannot be picked up again and taken to the nearest medical provision for reattachment. This has obviously been a recurrent problem throughout a long period of history and one would have expected to have been addressed after the creation of the NHS in the fifties. Maybe we could start a "digit" campaign to get this and my problem sorted out. It amy (sic) also alter your career path from bully to advocate for the digitally challenged.

It would seem you are hardly the one to be pointing fingers.

dr.bob
424169.  Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:21 am Reply with quote

blueshearer, I know you're new around these parts, but I think I should point out something. I was considering sending you a private message, but the advice may well be useful for other posters hereabouts.

In post 423898 you cut and pasted a very long article verbatim. This is a problem for several reasons.

Firstly a very long article is quite hard for people to read through. If it contains a particular point you're trying to make, it's far better to make the point succinctly, and give a link for anyone who's so inclined to go and investigate the wider context of the point.

Secondly, a very long article takes up quite a lot of space on our servers. This is not a big problem for one or two, but it's certainly not a practise I'd like to see become common.

Thirdly, and most importantly, the web page that you cut and pasted from quite clearly states at the very start "Copyright © 1998 The Journal of African Travel-Writing." By posting copyrighted material on this site and not even attributing the authors, you could potentially cause a legal problem to the QI organisation that are ultimately responsible for the contents of this site.

I have now edited your message to provide a URL to the web page that you copied. I would be very grateful if you, and any other posters reading this, would do likewise in future.

'yorz
816259.  Sat May 14, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote

The Shadow of the Wind (Carlos Ruiz Zafón) is a wonderful, mesmerising piece of writing. Haroun and the Sea of Stories (Salman Rushdie) also kept me highly entertained. Thinking about it, I've read quite a bit of this Magic-Realism genre over the years: the Amber-trilogy, the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, etc etc.
Ha! Just remembered that the Cemetery of Forgotten Books also features in a next book by Zafón, The Angel's Game. Just fetched if from the library. That's me sorted for the next few days.

Spud McLaren
816267.  Sat May 14, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote

I see the Heresy of Resurrectionism is spreading...

Page 1 of 1