View previous topic | View next topic

Chasseur Guards

Page 1 of 1

mr2mk1g
428082.  Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:01 am Reply with quote

Who, arguably, should perhaps more correctly be called the "Chasseur Guards"?

And of course, why?

mr2mk1g
430228.  Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:38 am Reply with quote

OK, I'll give you a little help:

djgordy
430253.  Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:45 am Reply with quote

Those people with a head like a sore bear are the 1st or Grenadier Regiment of Foot Guards. Seems a perfectly adequate name for them.

In France Chasseur are light infantry or light cavalry but I don't see why British guards should be given a French name. Especially as the person they are guarding is German;-)

glynicus
430289.  Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:42 am Reply with quote

The name grenadier is a french name, and according to their own website it was given to the 1st Foot after Waterloo where they defeated the Grenadiers of the Imperial Guard (the first time they had bean defeated).

http://www2.army.mod.uk/grenadier/history/index.htm

So I guess there is some controversy over who the 1st foot actually defeated at Waterloo

Izzardesque
430299.  Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:08 am Reply with quote

Would he be on about Marshal Ney destroying the majority of the French cavalry by charging repeatedly against infantry in square?

mr2mk1g
430901.  Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am Reply with quote

glynicus wrote:

So I guess there is some controversy over who the 1st foot actually defeated at Waterloo

That is indeed the case, though my sources at the moment are a little thin. The Grenadier Guards themselves for example trot out the accepted history that they defeated the Grenadiers of the Imperial Guard.

I only came across the subject when reading Sharpe's Waterloo by Bernard Cornwall (now bear with me here - my source isn't the fictional part of the book!)

If you've ever read a Bernard Cornwall book you'll know he always puts in a historical note at the end of the book, crediting the authors of historical works on which he's relied and putting straight some of the fiction in the previous text again, crediting those to whom the historical honour actually belongs.

In his note at the end of Sharpe's Waterloo he states:
Quote:
Hundreds of contemporary accounts exist of the battle, yet still there is controversy. Even at the time of the battle men did not always see what they thought they saw, which is why Britain now has a regiment called the Grenadier Guards. That is the regiment which defeated the larger column of the Imperial Guard, and they were convinced that they had beaten the Grenadiers of the Guard and, to mark their victory, took their enemy's name. In fact they opposed and beat the Chasseurs of the Guard, but it seems a little late to make the correction now.

I've found some support for the position on the internet indicating that within academic circles at least it's a settled and evidently somewhat unspoken truth, but nothing really worthy of posting here as a citation. I'm in the process of searching for a better source, probably paper, as much for my own edification as anything. If anyone can assist I'd be grateful.

Anyway - I thought it was QI and it certainly counts as general ignorance if even the Grenadier Guards are still getting it "wrong".

Perhaps if used as a question it should be in picture quiz format with some photo similar to above shown, together with the question "who are these?" followed by the inevitable klaxon when someone says the Grenadier Guards.

glynicus
431277.  Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quote

I thought it was quite interesting, but then it's right up my street

Izzardesque
431576.  Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:22 am Reply with quote

I've picked up a few interesting tidbits before from the historical 'corrections' that COrnwell and the like do at the end of historical novels but have never really followed them up. Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series is a great series for learning about Republican Rome - apparently (and I haven't come across any sources disputing this) her research into the period is substantial and pretty accurate in her writings.

Page 1 of 1