View previous topic | View next topic

Giraffe.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

exnihilo
421349.  Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:23 am Reply with quote

I like that the old camel-leopard misconception has been retained in the Latin name of the giraffe.

Arcane
421351.  Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:25 am Reply with quote

I found the abstract from N. Solounias from which information to the above link has obviously come from; it's the same one suze mentioned in the earlier thread.

Giraffe vertebrae abstract

And then I found this tidbit which may explain simply what the confusion/discussion is over: (from all animal experts website)

..."The exceptions are various sloths with 6-9 neck vertebrae and possibly the giraffe, which may have 8 neck vertebrae. There is some controversy about the giraffe as to whether one of the vertebrae is the eighth neck vertebra or the first thoracic vertebra."

Ian Dunn
421467.  Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:43 am Reply with quote

Giraffe is kosher according to Israeli vets, because they are grazing animals that have cloven hooves and chew the cud. A test on their milk has confirmed that Jews can eat them.

Source: Daily Telegraph

Arcane
421472.  Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote

Imagine the serving of Giraffe osso bucco you'd get???

Alfred E Neuman
421490.  Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quote

There was a hell of a stink locally (in SA) a couple of years ago - someone was planning some form of festival, and one of the major attractions was going to be a giraffe on a spit. People seemed to think this was in poor taste, and after much discussion to and fro, it was called off.

Sorry, but I can't find a link to the article...

Sebastian flyte
421540.  Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quote

The whole idea of the scale of that is remarkable I'd have loved to have seen that and eaten some like a spit pig roast.

exnihilo
421828.  Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:37 pm Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
Giraffe is kosher according to Israeli vets, because they are grazing animals that have cloven hooves and chew the cud. A test on their milk has confirmed that Jews can eat them.

Source: Daily Telegraph

Whereas, returning to camelopard, neither the camel nor the leopard are kosher. So it's as well for the gastronome that the confusion over the giraffe's origins was cleared up, if not actually for the giraffe.

smiley_face
421839.  Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:47 pm Reply with quote

Having spent much of the last 3 days studying the cervical spine, I can inform you of a few (somewhat irrelevant) facts. I should be writing an essay on the matter, but this is far more fun...

There are 7 cervical vertebrae in humans. However, evolutionarily, there used to be 8. The first one, called the pre-atlas has come to be fused with the skull. The joint between the pre-atlas and the atlas (the atlas being the first proper vertebrae in humans these days) allows you to bend the neck forward and backward. Rotation of the neck occurs between the altas and the axis (aka C1 and C2, since they are the first and second proper vertebrae in modern man.

S: Any one of the numerous books scattered around my desk.

smiley_face
421846.  Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote

reddygirl wrote:
..."The exceptions are various sloths with 6-9 neck vertebrae and possibly the giraffe, which may have 8 neck vertebrae. There is some controversy about the giraffe as to whether one of the vertebrae is the eighth neck vertebra or the first thoracic vertebra."

As I understand it, the difference between cervical and thoracic vertebrae is 1) Thoracic vertebrae have ribs attached to them (or at least articular facets for ribs to attach to) and 2) That there are foramina (holes) in the transverse processes (sticky outy bits on the side) of the vertebrae for blood vessels to pass through.

That said, 2 isn't even always the case in humans, so that's probably not a great example...

gerontius grumpus
421894.  Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:27 pm Reply with quote

At the risk of seeming pedantic, can I just point out that the singular is vertebra and the plural is vertebrae?
Just let me point out that i'm not posting this in an aggressive way and if you want to develop the language and make it evolve, please feel free.
Humans occasionally have a small cervical rib which can cause parasthesia in the hands.

smiley_face
421915.  Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
At the risk of seeming pedantic, can I just point out that the singular is vertebra and the plural is vertebrae?

Fully appreciating the non-aggressiveness of your statement, but still failing to see where I used the wrong form of the word. :-P

smiley_face
421918.  Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote

smiley_face wrote:
(the atlas being the first proper vertebrae in humans these days)

Oh OK. Point taken.

*cowers*

Arcane
421964.  Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for your info smiley.... I've had a lot of trouble trying to find information about the 7 VS 8 vertebrae argument...(there seem to be the same sources repeated). Most sources you immediately look up quote that there are 7, and the crux seems to be whether (what is currently considered to be) a thoracic vertebra should be considered a cervical, and therefore neck, vertebra.

smiley_face
422030.  Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote

There's another thing involving nerves (I've had a few drinks so do please forgive me if this explanation isn't up to scratch).

There are nerves which emerge from the spine. These emerge between two vertebrae (plural) through a gap called the intervertebral foramen. In the thoracic and lumbar regions, the name of the nerve correlates to the name of the vertebra above it. That is, if a nerve emerges between L3 and L4, it's known as the L3 nerve.

However, in the cervical spine, the name of the nerve correlates with that of the vertebra below it. That is, the nerve that emerges between C3 and C4 is called the C4 nerve.

Obviously, this leaves a bit of a gap between C7 and T1. This nerve is known as C8, the reason being, as before, that humans used to have 8 vertebrae. In fact, the vertebra we call C7 is, in effect C8, so the nomenclature of nerves holds true.

pinball34
874300.  Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote

Thank you guys for your nice discussion.Giraffe is wonderful animal and it's the big animal of land.They are cute despite of their enormous height and harmless despite of their huge body. They are herbivores. Giraffes are loved by kids the most. They are often very calm and peaceful but they get furious too. With their long neck, food is easily available for them in the form of fresh.If you want know more facts you can go Giraffe Facts[/u]

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next