View previous topic | View next topic

Cheerie-Hi!

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

AngelWolf
423282.  Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote

Hello!
My name's Wolf, how is everyone?
I'm a South Eastern lass, who lives in a quiet village with...absolutely...nothing...to do.
I'm taking AS levels in Sociology, History and Use of mathematics (Why I couldn't do ordinary mathematis is beyond me!) and GCSEs in Maths and Chinese. (I know, Chinese is off the wall, and why am I doing AS before GCSE maths....god knows.)
I recently completed GCSEs in History, English language and literature, German, Science, and Additional Science.
There's my 'CV'-ish bit.
Personally, I love QI, though I don't see half as much as I'd like.
I was introduced to fun facts by my Dad, who loved telling me things like the fact that Bumble Bees shouldn't be able to fly (someone did all blueprints and things from what I recall of the titbit) but they can (he didn't account for the fact they buzz their wings!)
I do try and spell properly and use accurate grammar, if I make a mistake, please do correct me, I have a tendency to touch type, and I've only half learnt! However I am a monkey for using silly little faces, like :) :( :P XD :D D: D': ;) Blah blah...blah blah blah.
Along with school I am a support councellor on this lovely interweb, so if anyone needs me for something of that nature, here I am!! I'm an avid reader, a writer and an artist when I have the time. Generally, I try to stay busy, I HATE being useless!
I have, since I was little, loved learning and knowing, and hope to broaden my knowledge to the farthest reaches of weird here, with other people who love learning like I do!!!
Anyhoo, thanks for listening to me blather like that!!!
Have a great time!
Wolf

suze
423283.  Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote

Hi AngelWolf, welcome aboard!

cabs
423287.  Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:54 pm Reply with quote

You sound splendid. A most hearty welcome. :-)

AngelWolf
423288.  Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:54 pm Reply with quote

Many thanks to you both!

bobwilson
423295.  Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
who loved telling me things like the fact that Bumble Bees shouldn't be able to fly (someone did all blueprints and things from what I recall of the titbit) but they can (he didn't account for the fact they buzz their wings!)

This may not be the place to mention it but Philip Larkin was quite right.

The familiar phrase, incidentally, is "according to the laws of aerodynamics Bumble Bees should not be able to fly". It's not true - if the laws of aerodynamics stated Bumble Bees couldn't fly, they wouldn't fly.

Anyway, do enjoy having many of the "facts" you've been told to date roundly demolished (as well as getting some clearer explanations of things that you've learnt but didn't really understand).

That's the great thing about the transition period between leaving compulsory education and settling down - gives you plenty of opportunities to undo the damage caused by 11 plus years of edjukashun.

AngelWolf
423300.  Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:06 pm Reply with quote

Thank you, and that's the phrase I was looking for....I knew what I meant, glad someone else did also.
I'll never forget the look of horror on my fathers face when he found it it wasn't true, that Larkin had miscalculated!!!
Again, thank you very much, but I am still in compulsary!
Wolf

cabs
423302.  Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:07 pm Reply with quote

I seem to recall the bumble bee issue being a bete noire of Tom Baker's Doctor Who. I can offer little more than that, though.

Moosh
423309.  Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote

Hey Angelwolf, hearty welcomes to you :)

AngelWolf
423323.  Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:45 pm Reply with quote

Thank you to you both (:
Wolf

bobwilson
423331.  Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote

AngelWolf wrote:
Thank you, and that's the phrase I was looking for....I knew what I meant, glad someone else did also.
I'll never forget the look of horror on my fathers face when he found it it wasn't true, that Larkin had miscalculated!!!
Again, thank you very much, but I am still in compulsary!
Wolf

Just to clarify - the Larkin I was talking about was the one who wrote:

They fuck you up your mum and dad...........

As for being in compulsory incarceration of the educational variety - just remember, it's compulsory for you but it's also compulsory for THEM. There's nothing to stop you pointing out when they're feeding you BS.

Arcane
423345.  Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote

Welcome to QI AngelWolf! Help yourself to some e-cake and e-tea.

bobwilson
423365.  Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quote

cheapskate reddy - let's start handing out the real tea and cakes?

Fifi
423380.  Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:13 am Reply with quote

bobwilson - don't you know there is a credit crunch going on? ha

welcome wolf :-)

Odins Raven
423385.  Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:34 am Reply with quote

Olla!

QiScorpion
423386.  Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:34 am Reply with quote

welcome AngelWolf to the growing Qi Menagerie! (i'm one member, there's a dog around here, as well as an elephant somewhere....)

Enjoy your stay! (but please don't tread on the elephant's toes, he does hate it so.)

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next