View previous topic | View next topic

My Grandfather's Clock

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Timon
426570.  Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:46 pm Reply with quote

Did anyone else see this QI interesting story from the "Antiques Roadshow"?
There was an insert where they talked to a guy from BT about the original speaking clock mechanism, which was apparently as big as a room. The smaller MKII machine was on the show.

Anyway the QI thing was, that apparently this fellow came to work one day, heard a noise coming from the machine and has he looked to see what the problem was the thing ground to a halt. This was on the 29th October 2005, the day that Pat Simmons the voice of the speaking clock died. Spooky!

Ninety years without slumbering,
Tick, tock, tick, tock,
His life seconds numbering,
Tick, tock, tick, tock,
It stopped short
Never to go again,
When the old man died.

This is a QI version:

http://tinyurl.com/5fflhc

 
Lumpo31
426614.  Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:59 am Reply with quote

Goodness! I saw the bit about the clock, but I wasn't paying attention (for shame!) and I missed the details.

Spoooookky!

 
djgordy
426617.  Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:19 am Reply with quote

That's why they word "coincidence" was invented.

 
Southpaw
426621.  Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:28 am Reply with quote

Who's to say it hadn't stopped at 7 o'clock the previous night, after he'd left for the day, in which case it wasn't a coinkydink at all.

Things like this get on my nerves. People say "Bloody hell, what are the odds of that?!". Well, probably pretty good actually, considering both the clock and the woman were getting on a fair bit.

Read Unweaving the Rainbow and move on!

 
cabs
426623.  Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:28 am Reply with quote

Yeah, think of all those other speaking clocks we've had where that's never happened.

 
NinOfEden
426805.  Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:33 am Reply with quote

Well, my dad knows this old woman who, every time she visits her husband's grave, her watch stops. I was with them once when it happened.

 
barbados
426818.  Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:56 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
That's why they word "coincidence" was invented.


Although obviously not why they invented the English Language.

 
exnihilo
426890.  Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote

NinOfEden wrote:
Well, my dad knows this old woman who, every time she visits her husband's grave, her watch stops. I was with them once when it happened.


Were you watching the watch as she approached the grave and saw the second hand come to rest? Or were you shown the stopped watch at the grave? Did it stop the second the grave was in sight, or when she knelt beside it, or when she touched the stone? There are a good few other questions I'd ask about this "phenomenon" but we'll start with those.

 
Beaglefish
427221.  Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote

The rhyme about the old grandfather clock: the clock in question is in Piercebridge, a village near me, in the George hotel. It stopped when its owner died.

 
Timon
427271.  Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote

Beaglefish wrote:
The rhyme about the old grandfather clock: the clock in question is in Piercebridge, a village near me, in the George Hotel. It stopped when its owner died.


Thank you for picking up on the more QI aspect of my post Beaglefish. I wish I had not added the word spooky, of course this story if true, is a coincidence. I am sure there are many other instances of this story in history. Still it is quite a coincidence and worthy of comment.

The song "My Grandfather's Clock" is indeed connected to the George Hotel in Piercebridge. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Grandfather%27s_Clock
The American songwriter Henry Clay Work (1832-1884)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Clay_Work is said to have based the song on tales he heard when he visited the hotel in 1875 (the song was published in 1876).
QIly Henry Clay Work was a distant relation of Doreena Princess of Wales.

Confusingly the song is also said to have been introduced to Work by Sam Lucas (1850-1916) an early African American songwriter and entertainer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Lucas

 
Timon
427327.  Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:06 am Reply with quote

Two more cool Appalachian Dulcimer tunes.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FGQuVVEnqDU&feature=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ugyUXC6L_c0

Seriously thinking about getting a Dulcimer.

 
blueshearer
427329.  Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:20 am Reply with quote

Try revisiting your Joni Mitchell collection as the dulcimer can be heard on many of her songs Might buy one to stick in the corner with my other bonfire wood -is it just the mountain type you like?

 
QiScorpion
427335.  Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:43 am Reply with quote

Timon wrote:
Did anyone else see this QI interesting story from the "Antiques Roadshow"?
There was an insert where they talked to a guy from BT about the original speaking clock mechanism, which was apparently as big as a room. The smaller MKII machine was on the show.

Anyway the QI thing was, that apparently this fellow came to work one day, heard a noise coming from the machine and has he looked to see what the problem was the thing ground to a halt. This was on the 29th October 2005, the day that Pat Simmons the voice of the speaking clock died. Spooky!

Ninety years without slumbering,
Tick, tock, tick, tock,
His life seconds numbering,
Tick, tock, tick, tock,
It stopped short
Never to go again,
When the old man died.

This is a QI version:

http://tinyurl.com/5fflhc



Tautology, Timon? tut tut.


But I remember singing about My Grandfather's clock in primary school:

My Grandfather;s Clock
WAs too large for the shelf
So it stoood ninety yeears on the floor.....


But it stopped
Short
Never to go again
When the oooold maaann diiiiied.

Those are the only words i remember from the song.

 
Timon
427475.  Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:18 am Reply with quote

QiScorpion wrote:


Tautology, Timon? tut tut.



It's a fair cop. I'll come quietly.


"Fnarr! Fnarr!"

 
Ion Zone
427500.  Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:48 am Reply with quote

We should be skeptical of any word-of-mouth evidence, but the thing is we should test these things under impartial scientific conditions rather than just dismissing them. Dismissing things out of hand is unhelpful and counterproductive. Germs were dismissed out of hand, as was radiation and a load of other stuff.

If I remember, one of the opposing scientists drank a pint of actual Themes water to support his Miasma theory, and didn't die.

 

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group