View previous topic | View next topic

Gabon

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Ian Dunn
396636.  Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:55 am Reply with quote

Gabon, a country West Africa, is home to Africa's longest serving head of state, President Omar Bongo. He has been leader of Gabon since 1967. In November 2005, he was elected to serve Gabon for another seven years, with 80% of the vote. The opposition alleged fraud, but international observers said the poll was largely free and fair. Until 1991, Gabon was a one-party state, but after 1991 other parties have formed. None however have managed to get to power.

Source: The BBC

Starfish13
398953.  Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote

President Bongo established a system of national parks in Gabon in 2002, setting aside over 10% of the total territorial area as protected for biodiversity conservation.

Very few other countries in the world can match this amount of protection.

misterchris
453052.  Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:35 am Reply with quote

Many of the poverty-stricken patients admitted to Albert Schweitzer's jungle hospital in Gabon, Africa left with chamber pots, stolen for use as cooking implements. On a train in Europe one day, Schweitzer was asked by a fellow passenger what he did for a living. "I supply Gabon," he modestly replied, "with chamber pots."

Schweitzer, Albert (1875-1965) Alsatian-born French theologian, professor, musician and medical missionary; Nobel Prize recipient (Peace, 1952), noted for his establishment of a jungle hospital at Lambarene in Gabon, Africa (1913)

misterchris
453053.  Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote

The name 'Gabon' is derived from the Portuguese word, 'gabao', for 'hooded cloak' in reference to the shape of the estuary they found.

Southpaw
453071.  Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:08 am Reply with quote

Gabon has the highest primary school 'repetition rate' in the world: 36.9% of pupils are enrolled in the same grade as the previous year. It is the 5th most forested country in the world. Its national football team is the 100th best in the world.

Ian Dunn
541468.  Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:22 am Reply with quote

In 1984, Gabon was the highest consumer of champagne per capita. Most of the money came from trade with China.

Sources: Silly Money starring Bremner, Bird and Fortune.

suze
541700.  Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
In 1984, Gabon was the highest consumer of champagne per capita.

If you can prove that claim* to a standard that would be sufficient to use it on the show, I'll buy you a bottle of champagne.

* i.e. that Gabon drank the most champagne per capita. That B, B & F said it was so I do not dispute.

Ian Dunn
541912.  Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:
In 1984, Gabon was the highest consumer of champagne per capita.

If you can prove that claim* to a standard that would be sufficient to use it on the show, I'll buy you a bottle of champagne.

* i.e. that Gabon drank the most champagne per capita. That B, B & F said it was so I do not dispute.

Here is the proof, taken from The Rentier State in Africa by Douglas Andrew Yates, page 213 (as taken from Google Books).

Quote:
One of the most obnoxious symbols of conspicuous consumption of imported foodstuffs was Gabon's seemingly unquenchable thirst for champagne. According to figures put out by the Comité Interprofessionnel du Vin de Champagne, Gabon was the world's leading per capita consumer in 1984, "with one bottle for every three inhabitants." At one wedding held for a prominent political figure's daughter, 8,000 special magnums were specially imported and consumed (ibid).

The book also references this source in its bibliography - "West Africa (June 3, 1985): 1113".

Sadurian Mike
541920.  Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:49 pm Reply with quote

Looks like the drinks are on suze.

suze
541937.  Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote

It looks very much as if they are!

The Comité Interprofessionnel du Vin de Champagne is the trade organization representing the champagne industry, so I'm entirely prepared to take its word for it.

e-champagne all around; Ian, I'll be in touch!

Moosh
541942.  Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:14 pm Reply with quote

It's possibly worth noting that the claim is for 1984, and the Champagne harvests of 1982 and 1983 were the most plentiful of the 20th century.

Source: Union of Champagne Houses

(Not just an attempt to get something, anything, out of reading through their entire official history looking for any mention of Gabon)

Ian Dunn
541947.  Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:22 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
It looks very much as if they are!

The Comité Interprofessionnel du Vin de Champagne is the trade organization representing the champagne industry, so I'm entirely prepared to take its word for it.

e-champagne all around; Ian, I'll be in touch!

Thank you very much suze. ^_^

Ion Zone
541977.  Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote

If you made that general ignorance, here's a nice little follow-up to prevent it going flat, :} since you already did champagne.

You might want a bit more research on that one though.

suze
542104.  Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:54 am Reply with quote

Meanwhile, President Bongo was something of a fan of La Thatcher. Shortly before one of her election victories, that delightful Old Tory Alan Clark had been in the news after suggesting that immigrants should be encouraged to return to "Bongo Bongo Land".

So what does President Bongo do? Why, he sends Thatcher a message along the lines of "Good luck in the election from the Government of Bongo Land"!

The televised conjuror Ali Bongo was Omar Bongo's third cousin once removed.

One of these two stories is utter balls. No prizes on this occasion.

Ion Zone
542380.  Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote

You could also mention the oldest licenced whisky distillery in the world, Bushmills in Ireland.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next