View previous topic | View next topic

Gurkhas

Page 1 of 10
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

jakamneziak
415562.  Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7644441.stm

High time a judge seen sense per se and it could not be more fitting in my view. Gurkhas who gave up a lot for us in WWII have been allowed to stay in this country. I applaud this decision to review all cases and hopefully those who deserve it will be allowed to stay here.

Ion Zone
415577.  Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote

We've allways treated them like crap, really.

jakamneziak
415581.  Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote

We shouldn't have done though and that is one of the things that many more of the older generation know. I admittedly dont know a huge amount about them but my dad (who is now 57) knows a fair bit about them and has developed a huge respect for them.

Izzardesque
415588.  Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote

I agree that we have treated them abysmally. I've watched a few documentaries about them and they are amazing.

Ion Zone
415609.  Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote

I saw some at an airshow once with those massive knives of theirs.

Bondee
415612.  Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote

The Gurkhas that I've met are absolute gentlemen. They deserve everything that they have fought for.

Ion Zone
415616.  Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote

They would have to be to put up with the burocrats who are doing this to them.

Alfred E Neuman
415628.  Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:34 pm Reply with quote

Especially owning those big knives - must be tempting...

I think they're called 'kukri' aren't they?

Prof Wind Up Merchant
415629.  Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote

At last common sense prevails.

Sebastian flyte
415640.  Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote

A friend of mine was in love with a Gurkha but he got deported. Great those guys won the right to stay though :)

bobwilson
415694.  Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote

For what it's worth - speaking as an anarchist I'd like to see the British Army disbanded entirely .... but......

if you get a bunch of people to put themselves in the firing line on your behalf then I think you have to give them at minimum the benefits you'd give to some jumped up johnny who gets himself into the PM's chair.

Put another way, if some idiot with full citizenship rights wants to volunteer to get his head blown off out of some misguided belief that I might consider him a hero - that's his lookout (and yes SAS, I'm talking about you). But if some chinless wonder promises somebody from a foreign clime a bright future then that promise should be honoured.

Can anyone explain to me what the nominal RAF commanders in charge of USAF bases in Britain actually do? As far as I can tell they're always chosen from the ranks of people who failed to make it onto "Who wants to be a millionaire" because they couldn't find somebody to synchronise coughing.

Starfish13
415919.  Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:44 am Reply with quote

The Gurkha's knives are called kukris, and according to tradition must taste blood once they have been unsheathed, before they can be replaced. I met a load of Gurkhas in Wlaes at an adventure training centre. They were all watching sheepdog trials on S4C, with the commentary in Welsh.

Izzardesque
416027.  Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:42 am Reply with quote

Starfish13 wrote:
The Gurkha's knives are called kukris, and according to tradition must taste blood once they have been unsheathed, before they can be replaced.

I always believed that they'd cut their fingers before sheathing it but apparently thats a load of bollocks

Starfish13
416041.  Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote

It has a little needley bit at the top of the blade (at the handle end) that you just prick your finger on to 'feed' it. All that cutting hands bit is apparently to get druck squaddies to do stupid stuff.

Arcane
416055.  Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:15 am Reply with quote

My biological father was in the Army, and had a great deal of respect for the Gurhkas. Said he'd rather have them by his side than many fellow servicemen/women (my mum was in the RAF). He also told me that they have a method of using their knife that can cleave someone nearly in two* (or perhaps behead) with a single cut. Perhaps he used to tell me that to scare me (I'm sure my eyes were bulging on that one!).

*he demonstrated where he says they did it, I'm just not sure how it could go through all those bones....

Page 1 of 10
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next