View previous topic | View next topic

NUNAVUT

Page 1 of 1

grizzly
130385.  Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:00 pm Reply with quote

Nunavut is the newest territory (it is not a province, Canadian law makes a distinction) in Canada, formerly coming into existence on April 1st 1999. It is not a country, but since it can account for some rather large geographical extremes, I thought it deserved some mention here.

It's creation was officialy confirmed in the Nunavut Act and the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement Act (both passed July 9th 1993). This had followed a plebiscite held in 1982 in which a large majority of the population of the Northwest Territories voted for the seperation.

Nunavut has a population of 30,782, just over 2,000 more than the town I live in (Newbury in West Berkshire).

Nunavut is the largest of Canada's territories and is the 4th largest of any in the world. If a country, it would be the world's 13th largest, just behind the DRC. It has a very similar land area to Greenland.

If it were a country, Nunavut would the the world's sparsest populated country. Greenland, of a comparable size, has double the population of Nunavut.

It's first official language is (yes this the one that Suze is our resident expert on) Inuktitut; Inuinnaqtun, English and French being the other 3 official languages.

85% of the population of Nunavut are native peoples.

Nunavut is a rich source of minerals and metals; nickel, gold and lead having been mined in several location in (what was then the Northwest Territories) Nunavut. A new diamond mine opened in 2006 and 2 gold mines are currently awaiting approval.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nunavut

grizzly
130387.  Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote

I'll also note that the scene in Jame Bond The Spy Who Loved Me where Bond skis off of the side of a mountain and open a parachute with the Union Jack design, was filmed on Mount Asgard, on Baffin Island in Nunavut.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auyuittuq_National_Park

Quttinirpaaq National Park is also the most northerly national park in the World and is also the most Northerly point in Canada.

suze
130435.  Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:52 am Reply with quote

Yup, Nunavut is big - there's no doubt about that.

The claim that it's only the fourth largest statoid in the world interested me for a moment - I couldn't really conceive of there being larger ones. A moment's thought suggested Western Australia as being larger, while the other two are Greenland (which I consider to be a country, so I'm not really having that one) and Sacha, a rather obscure subdivision of Russia.

I went to Baffin Island once, although it was before the creation of Nunavut. I'm afraid I found Iqaluit (or Frobisher as it was called until the 1980s) a cold and rather depressing place, with all too many reminders of the serious social problems caused by high unemployment and by alcohol abuse (a major issue among the Inuit).

Just quickly on those languages - yes, there are four official languages in Nunavut. French is actually little spoken there, and pretty much everyone can speak English although many do not use it as their everyday language. Inuit speak English with a very rich accent that sounds almost Caribbean or West African.

I've said enough about Inuktitut in the past that I needn't say more about it now. Inuinnaqtun is scarcely a language proper - many consider it no more than a dialect of Inuktitut. It's the main language of Iqaluktuuttiaq (aka Cambridge), one of Nunavut's few "towns", but won't often be heard elsewhere. Unlike Inuktitut which is often written in those syllabics I've pasted here before, Inuinnaqtun is always written in the Roman alphabet - and the spelling was reformed in the 1980s to bring it in line with Greenlandic.

The word Nunavut is Inuktitut for "our land", and a person from Nunavut is a Nunavummiuq.

suze
130437.  Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:04 am Reply with quote

grizzly wrote:
Quttinirpaaq National Park is also the most northerly national park in the World and is also the most Northerly point in Canada.

That's arguable actually. The north east point of the Quttinirpaaq on Ellesmere Island is the northernmost part of the notional land mass, yes. But Canada does claim the North Pole - on a slightly spurious basis based on both the drawing of straight lines north from accepted boundaries and on consideration of the continental shelf as an extension of the land mass. Greenland and Russia both make similar claims, as does Norway rather half heartedly. The USA does not accept any of the claims and does not seek to claim it for itself.

All nonsense of course really, but could become very important if global warming should ever happen to an extent which makes it viable to exploit the oil reserves known to exist under the Beaufort Sea.

timada
333184.  Fri May 09, 2008 6:30 am Reply with quote

I once attended a drug treatment center in Nunavut. It’s quite a nice place, very quiet, and lots of nice trees like a lot of Canada…a good get away from the city life. Can anyone tell me why a large majority of the population voted for the separation? And would advantages do they gain from the separation?

suze
333319.  Fri May 09, 2008 8:50 am Reply with quote

Canada undoubtedly has lots of nice trees, but in Nunavut trees are very scarce; most of the territory is north of the tree line.

While treatment for drug addiction is certainly available at the hospital in Iqaluit - Nunavut's only real town - local demand for such treatment is unfortunately quite high, and I'm surprised if the hospital is able to cater for private patients from overseas. Furthermore, it's extremely expensive to travel to Iqaluit even from Canada, let alone the rest of the world and altogether seems an odd choice.

I, you see, have been to Nunavut (albeit before its establishment as a separate territory; Iqaluit NU was called Frobisher Bay NWT in those days).

On the question, it was all to do with Inuit desire for self determination. As part of Northwest Territories, that which is now Nunavut had been governed from Yellowknife, a mostly white city a very long way away.

Gordman
367737.  Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I once attended a drug treatment center in Nunavut. It’s quite a nice place, very quiet, and lots of nice trees like a lot of Canada…a good get away from the city life. Can anyone tell me why a large majority of the population voted for the separation?

Are there drug treatment centers in Nunavot? I am sure this is a nice quiet place far from the city life I am just interested in finding such rehab center as well, I should start searching for more informations about it.

<Edited by Jenny to remove commercial link>

Sadurian Mike
367863.  Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote

This site suggests that there is no drug treament centre, or at most a vastly overwhelmed one, in the area as it states:

Quote:
Finding a drug rehab help for people from Nunavut Territory can be difficult with only 30,000 people in the Territory and about 6,000 in Iqaluit.

As suze said; it seems highly unlikely that any local centre would admit overseas patients when it has such a huge problem dealing with those from its own region.

oliviaharis
402412.  Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:12 am Reply with quote

If Nunavut were a sovereign nation, it would be the least densely populated in the world: nearby Greenland, for example, has almost the same area and twice the population.
--------------------
oliviaharis

<edited by Jenny to remove commercial link>

Sherbrooke
821476.  Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:41 am Reply with quote

A Canadian group did a very funny song about Nunavut. Find it here

http://three-dead-trolls-in-a-baggie-nunavut-mp3-download.kohit.net/_/61870

Otherwise just Google three dead trolls and nunavut.

Page 1 of 1