View previous topic | View next topic

The Loneliness of the Fell Runner

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

QiScorpion
429836.  Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:35 am Reply with quote

Having read the article in the Daily Telegraph about the floods in the Lake District that caused the fell-running marathon to be called off, there are things that spring to mind

Firstly, what is fell running?
Secondly, is it the fault of the event organisers that runners had to find shelter?

djgordy
429882.  Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:25 am Reply with quote

QiScorpion wrote:
Firstly, what is fell running?

The clue is in the name. Fell running is running through the fells. "Fell" is simply the name for uncultivated uplands (hills and mountainous areas) of various parts of Scandanavia, the Isle of Man and northern England.

NinOfEden
429995.  Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote

Fell-running = People running up + down hills for a laugh.

Jenny
430097.  Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote

"Running for a laugh" sounds like an oxymoron to me.

thegrandwazoo
430139.  Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
"Running for a laugh" sounds like an oxymoron to me.

Having watched them doing it on many occasions I couldn't agree more. At the risk of offending friends and relatives, they are all barking!

QiScorpion
431188.  Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote

so, having explained what fell running is, does anyone think it was the fault of the event organisers that the runners ended up forced to shelter in such varying locations as a school and a mine?

thegrandwazoo
431372.  Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote

That was a result of the weather. Allowing the event to proceed having been given warnings may have been an error of judgement by the organisers. It's interesting that many of the competitors seem to be quite happy that they didn't need rescuing and could look after themselves. It raises the whole question of whether public money should be used and rescuers risk their lives to assist people who voluntarily put themselves in positions of danger. Where,if at all, do you draw the line?

Alfred E Neuman
431398.  Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:02 am Reply with quote

QiScorpion wrote:
so, having explained what fell running is, does anyone think it was the fault of the event organisers that the runners ended up forced to shelter in such varying locations as a school and a mine?

I thought fell runners were a tough breed and would carry on running come hell or high water. I'm disappointed that they sought shelter at all.

simonp
431805.  Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote

There should be no risk in any event ever. No one should get hurt and life should be boring.

Neotenic
431920.  Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:20 pm Reply with quote

If you'd just like to pop down to your town hall to collect your roll of cotton wool, someone will be along to wrap you up in it presently.

Assistance is required because you are not permitted to operate the scissors required to cut the sellotape unless you've been on the training course.

bobwilson
431923.  Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quote

I've done that training course!!!!!!! (The one with scissors and sellotape that is - not the Fell Running).

blakkbeautie
431927.  Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:41 pm Reply with quote

i knew a fell runner once, i used to work with him. i say work, but he rarely turned up, he was usually off after a weekend with a broken ankle or torn cartilage or something similar...apart from the time his vasectomy went wrong...i think he didn't go fell running for a while after that, but when he did he broke something else soon after.
he did a full week's work once; his wife wouldn't let him go fell running ; he had to put up a bannister rail instead.

do i sound a little bored???

bb

bobwilson
431931.  Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:46 pm Reply with quote

It's just occurred to me that this might be an appropriate place to mention an invention (or rather improvement) that could make someone a lot of money.

What reminded me of it was the mention of ludicrous Health and Safety laws so here's the background story.

I wanted to change an electrical plug on a computer at work and I wasn't allowed to due to H&S regulations. This seemed ludicrous to me but the person I mentioned it to happened to be a qualified electrician. He then listed all of the things you can do wrong when changing a plug (leaving too much exposed wiring, testing the plug with the top off after changing a fuse, cutting the various wires to the wrong lengths leading to forced loops inside the plug putting a strain on the plastic coating etc).

Anyway, the upshot was that I habitually did pretty well all of the things he listed as pretty bloody stupid when changing a plug, realised that the correct way of doing them was definitely better, and noticed that the reason I did them wrong was that it was easier to do them wrong than to do them right.

That led onto redesigning an electrical plug so that it was easier to do it right than do it wrong. Then I went looking for such a plug and, bugger me, couldn't find one. As an example, I looked for a plug where the Earth pin was fixed to the back/top part of the plug and passed through the front/bottom part so that it was impossible to insert the plug into the socket until you had reattached the two halves of the plug (the Earth pin opens the live and neutral holes in the socket). I couldn't find a single plug that was designed like this although it's clearly a fundamental safety feature.

Or - how about making all the wires the same length inside the plug? Internal connections could run from a single strip to the relevant pins so no messing about with Earth wire 5mm longer than Live and Neutral wires.

All in all I (and a friend) came up with 13 design flaws which could be easily rectified to make changing a plug safer at no additional manufacturing cost.

Unfortunately, because both of us are lazy bastards and just want to be able to wander down to B&Q to buy the damn thing, it never went much further than this (although we did build a mock up at one point).

So - any design students out there or budding entrepeneurs who want the full list?

npower1
432085.  Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote

Should this plug re design include new jobs for H&S staff, new jobs for the peseants that put plugs on electrical goods, new jobs for all those electricians who's only purpose in life is to fit new plugs. What about the cable manufacturers who will go out of business because less cable is wasted.

Jenny
432293.  Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:09 am Reply with quote

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/patent.htm could be your friend, bob.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next