View previous topic | View next topic

Over-surveillance

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

jakamneziak
409997.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:54 am Reply with quote

given the level of subtefuge (i think that's the word) some employers (i.e mine) will go to nothing will pass their way and BTW surely you will let your employer have your e-mail address when you hand in the application form?

Its what else they will find out about me that's the trouble. That is where my honesty comes in, i don't care. I f i say something i will say it to their face, sod hiding behind their back trying to keep things covert. If it needs to be said then sod it, i'll say it.

Neotenic
410003.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:10 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know much about computer techie stuff (that's the official name) but how easy would it be for a potential or current employer to view this forum and find out an email address (not including members who have included an email address in their profile?)

I don;t think that's necessarily the route to be worried about, actually.

If a company found that an employee was making disparaging comments about them on a public forum and were doing so from the office, they may be able to track which IP addresses had accessed the site in question from within their own systems.

Some precedents for the doubters;

Blogger sacked by Waterstones

...by accountants Dixon Wilson

...by Microsoft

...by Welsh Assembly

bobwilson
410004.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:10 am Reply with quote

After re-reading my posts above, I don't think I've been very clear on what I meant:

Quote:
Isn't it a bit sinister when our fear of surveillance is such that we voluntarily censor ourselves because we think it's possible that our employers might get wind of us expressing private opinions?

I understand that things said on a bulletin board such as this can be used against us and that a degree of caution is merited. What I was trying to get to is that I find that fact sinister.

barbados
410005.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:13 am Reply with quote

reddygirl wrote:
I don't know much about computer techie stuff (that's the official name) but how easy would it be for a potential or current employer to view this forum and find out an email address (not including members who have included an email address in their profile?)

In answer to your question, very.

It doesn't take much work to also tie the user down in a hotdesking environment

It is incidentally a bit of a mine field and there would need to be consultation between department heads, HR, and IT

dr.bob
410018.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:51 am Reply with quote

reddygirl wrote:

Not that easy really.

Whilst an email address is required when registering for the site, that information is then kept on the database which is not publically viewable. For a potential or current employer to access that information, they would have to request it from the person running the site. While that person is me, they will receive a two word reply, the second of which would be "off".

bobwilson
410027.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:59 am Reply with quote

Spam's off?

Archie
410033.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quote

jakamneziak wrote:
speaking of worrying. The uk has the highest person to camera ratio than anywhere else worldwide. I believe the rate stands at 9 people per camera in britain. And we wonder why we invented the scurge of television, big brother.

Point of order Mr Chairman - shouldn't we be worried if we have the lowest ratio rather than the highest?

barbados
410038.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quote

You wouldn't need to ask the person running the site anything.

If an employer was in the position where contributing certain information to public forums would be deemed as unacceptable. He would run all of the internet access through a proxy server.
From the information that is logged on the server he would be able to tell you exactly what time you visited a particular site, and if he were that concerned and needed the proof he could run a key logging application that would be able to tell him exactly what you typed at what time.

Arcane
410048.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:29 am Reply with quote

barbados wrote:
reddygirl wrote:

In answer to your question, very.

dr.bob wrote:
Not that easy really.

I think I need to do a computer course!

barbados
410050.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote

The thing with it is, it's easy for a current employer to find out. It's harder for a potential employer to find out

Cartman
410051.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:32 am Reply with quote

I can see both sides of this. Personally, I would not post onto this (or any other forum) from a work computer as they are recorded, monitored and audited to give the Thought Police something to do. I have received a smacked bum more than once for emailing things that the gateway team didn't like.

That said, I have no issues with saying things on here that I wouldn't say at work (assuming they are not illegal !). The reason is that here I can speak as me and not as the mouthpiece for those I work for.

Neo is right on the rumours things though. I remember a few years ago it was reported that James Earl Jones had died because a lazy reporter got it off of the net.

On the issue of Reddygirl's last post. Yes it's possible, but that does not make it probable. In order to do this (in general terms so as not to say something I shouldn't !), you would need access to the server that runs the forum and be able to view the captured IP addresses of the relevant posts (assuming that they are recorded - not all are). You then need to trace the IP address. This is not as easy as Jason Bourne and the like would have us think. Unless you have access to the company that leases your IP address to you, there is no way to do this. I might be able to say that you get your bill from TalkTalk or AOL, but nothing more. Unless a law enforcement agency takes an interest in your post (and they have a lot better things to do), you are quite safe.

It is different if you are daft enough to do it from work and your work uses a static IP address. In that case, an IP lookup on whois will say who owns the IP address. You then go into the works server and see which users was active at that time and depending on your company's software, that could be traced back to you.

jakamneziak
410076.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote

You are 100% right on that Archie, i should have made that the highest amount of cameras per person with a 9 person to 1 camera ratio. Very well pointed out, now why am i called Mr. Chairman?

bobwilson
410077.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:53 am Reply with quote

I don't think I'm disagreeing with Neo - I just think we're talking about two different things.

Posting comments (disparaging or otherwise) about your company from your work computer = bad thing and sacking would be justifiable as it's their computer.

Posting disparaging comments about your company using knowledge gathered as a result of your position in the company and access to unpublished information = bad thing and sacking would be justifiable as it's their information

Posting disparaging comments about your company from elsewhere using information gathered "as a member of the public" = nowt wrong with that and should not incur any penalty provided that you make it clear you are speaking in a private capacity (irrespective of whether it's known who you are employed by)

What I found sinister is the suggestion that employers might be using your private comments made in a public forum as ammunition against you. That would be like penalising an employee who stood for election as a local councillor because the employer didn't agree with their political affiliation.

Cartman
410088.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:03 am Reply with quote

Bobwilson, Can't disagree with any of that. The distinctions might be fine in some cases, but there are real. Well summerised

bobwilson
410090.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote

Wow - I knew you secretly agreed with me ;)

Now, if I can just clarify the stuff in the other thread ........

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next