View previous topic | View next topic

Glorious Revolution

Page 1 of 1

Stefan Linnemann
409290.  Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:40 am Reply with quote

Surely there must be something QI about it?
Like: Our (Dutch) Stadtholder William III was your (British) King William III. And both he and his father (Stadtholder William II) married a Mary Stuart.
I heard mentioning the houses of Orange-Nassau (Dutch Royal house) and the British Royal house are related, but when and through whom? They're far enough from each other not to raise immediate concerns for rampant genetic defects blazing through, I think.

Stefan.

mckeonj
409315.  Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote

Has Brenda got a Dutch Uncle? We should be told!

suze
409681.  Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote

As far as I can work out, Queen Elizabeth II is Queen Beatrix's tenth cousin - there doesn't seem to have been any intermarriage between the two royal houses since the time of William and Mary.

The British royal family is rather more closely related to the Danish and Norwegian royal families, and to the no longer regnant German and Greek royal families.

Moosh
409683.  Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:41 pm Reply with quote

Did anyone else see this and think of the Glorious 25th of May and the People's Republic of Treacle Mine Road? Anyone?

Gets coat

Last edited by Moosh on Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total

djgordy
409719.  Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote

Stefan Linnemann wrote:
Surely there must be something QI about it?
Like: Our (Dutch) Stadtholder William III was your (British) King William III. And both he and his father (Stadtholder William II) married a Mary Stuart.
I heard mentioning the houses of Orange-Nassau (Dutch Royal house) and the British Royal house are related, but when and through whom?

William was related to the British royal family, as mentioned, by marriage. His, Mary, wife was the daughter of King James II of England. There was also a blood relationship as his wife was also his cousin. William's mother was Mary, Princess Royal, the eldest daughter of Charles I.

When I say "British royal family" in this case, I mean the Stuarts, not the current lot.

The current lot (Windsors) stem from George I who was the great grandson of James I/VI (who was also the great grandfather of William of Orange).

So, William of Orange and George I were second cousins.

Stefan Linnemann
410293.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:

William was related to the British royal family, as mentioned, by marriage. His, Mary, wife was the daughter of King James II of England. There was also a blood relationship as his wife was also his cousin. William's mother was Mary, Princess Royal, the eldest daughter of Charles I.

When I say "British royal family" in this case, I mean the Stuarts, not the current lot.

The current lot (Windsors) stem from George I who was the great grandson of James I/VI (who was also the great grandfather of William of Orange).

So, William of Orange and George I were second cousins.

Now see, that's Interesting, And like you lot have Stuarts and Tudors and Windsor and what have you, whereas we only have Oranges. All the current lot trace back to William I of Orange, despite William III's lack of children, as there were plenty of Oranges about when he died. William I had four wives and lots of kiddies, and some even survived a to old age.
I've always had trouble remembering them all, though, because most of the men became Stadtholder of one or more provinces, and there are so many recurring names, like Frederick, and Henry, and there's a Frederick-Henry, and I couldn't ever get them straight in my head.

It'll be interesting to find out whether we'll have King William IV or William-Alexander when his mom decides to call it a day. Well, I think so.

Stefan.

bobwilson
410316.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
you lot have Stuarts and Tudors and Windsor and what have you, whereas we only have Oranges

Exactly - you get the fruits and we get a whole list of confusing names useful only for showing off in quiz shows

Stefan Linnemann
982039.  Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote

Stefan Linnemann wrote:

It'll be interesting to find out whether we'll have King William IV or William-Alexander when his mom decides to call it a day. Well, I think so.

He has chosen Willem Alexander as his regnal name, so we'll have a new first.

That'll be William Alexander to the English speaking lots.

Stefan.

Page 1 of 1