View previous topic | View next topic

Question Basket

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Flash
1583.  Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:37 pm Reply with quote

This thread is where we will accumulate questions - so each post should consist of one Q&A with a brief backup note. Any discussion should take place on the home thread for the topic in question, so that by printing out this thread we get the Q&As, all the Q&As, and nothing but the Q&As.

Flash
2827.  Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:51 am Reply with quote

Q: where might you find an amazing swimmer with a large penis?

A: buried in volcanic ash during the Silurian Period

post 2824

Liebig
3425.  Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:51 pm Reply with quote

Q: where would you find Hell in Austria, a Patricia in Uruguay or Cornelius in Jarrow?

A: the pub

post 3423

Jenny
3426.  Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:32 pm Reply with quote

Q Why can't you sneak up on a butterfly?

Q How can an aging, balding seducer best present himself to a naive young female?

Answers on post 3033

Jenny
3427.  Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:36 pm Reply with quote

I'm still quite attached (very un-Buddhist of course) to:

If you met the Buddha on the road, would you kill him?

Answer on post 2141

Jenny
3440.  Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:09 pm Reply with quote

This is Bob's question from the Bees thread, and an excellent question it is too:

Q. Why do bees prefer housekeeping to bonking?

However, I hope he will forgive me for saying that I found the explanation in post 2856 a bit hard to understand, so I tried to clarify it for myself. This is what I boiled it down to, and I think I understand it now so I hope I've got it right!

Unfertilised eggs laid by a queen bee contain 50% of her genes in different combinations. These eggs develop into male bees (drones) that have one copy of each chromosome. All sperm produced by a drone are clones and therefore identical.

Queens mate with 10-20 drones, and fertilised eggs develop into female bees (workers). These have two copies of each chromosome one from the queen and one from the male who fertilised her.

Bee colonies are therefore a mixture of subfamilies with the same mother but different fathers.

This means that workers in the same subfamily are related by 75% of their genes. They are therefore more closely related to their sisters than to their own offspring, who would only have 50% of their genes. This predisposes them to help raise their sisters or go with a new queen when she starts a new colony rather than seeking a mate for themselves.

http://members.aol.com/queenb95/genetics.html#anchor173808

Flash
3682.  Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:37 pm Reply with quote

Q: Why might you hold your breath on a submarine?

post 3681

Flash
3683.  Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:42 pm Reply with quote

Q: Why shouldn't buffaloes be scared of Buffalo Bill?

post 3676

Flash
3684.  Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:56 pm Reply with quote

Picture clue: Bill & Ben the Flowerpot Men

Q: What do Billy the Kid and Ben Hur have in common?

post 3679

Supplementaries:

Q: How much did the BBC pay to buy out all the rights of Hilda Wright, the woman who wrote the original Bill & Ben stories?

A: Three guineas (one guinea for each of three stories).

Q: Where did "flobadob", the language spoken by Bill and Ben, come from?

A: Bill and Ben were the names of Hilda Wright's two brothers, and flobadob was the word they used to describe a fart in the bath. (Forfeit: "Edward Woodward")

Q: What was Billy the Kid's real name?

A: Henry McCarty (forfeit: "William Bonney")

[edit] There's a better question for the Billy the Kid / Ben Hur connection if we can find a copy of the Kid's death warrant: "This is Billy the Kid's death warrant, written by the Governor of New Mexico, General Lew Wallace. What else might he have written when he got off work that evening?" or something on those lines.

Last edited by Flash on Sat Dec 27, 2003 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Flash
3685.  Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:10 pm Reply with quote

Q: What signal did Nelson instruct his signaller to send to the fleet before the Battle of Trafalgar?

(Forfeit: "England expects every man to do his duty")

A: "Nelson confides that every man will do his duty". The word "England" was substituted for "Nelson" by Captain Blackwood, and the signaller Pasco pointed out that "expects" was in the code book whereas "confides" would have to be spelt out letter by letter.

Q: What were Nelson's dying words?

(Forfeit: "Kismet, Hardy")

A: Although his actual final words were "Thank God I have done my duty", it does seem that he really did say, just before that, "Kiss me, Hardy". The Kismet story seems to be a Victorian invention. There were three witnesses who attest to the "kiss me" version (the surgeon William Beatty, the chaplain Rev Scott, and the purser Walter Burke) and the first use of the Turkish word kismet (fate) does not otherwise occur in English until 1849. Colin White, Britain's leading expert on Nelson and the man appointed to co-ordinate celebrations to mark the bicentenary of the Battle of Trafalgar in 2005, believes that "kiss me" is the correct version.

Q: How is Admiral Nelson connected with the expression "turning a blind eye"?

(Forfeit: any mention of his wearing an eyepatch)

A: At the Battle of Copenhagen Nelson was 2 i/c to Admiral Sir Hyde Parker, who signalled to him to disengage (signal no 39). In Col William Stewart's account he said to Captain Foley
Quote:
"You know, Foley, I have only one eye - I have a right to be blind sometimes," and then, with an archness peculiar to his character, putting the glass to his blind eye, he exclaimed, "I really do not see the signal."
But, although he had lost the use of one eye, its appearance was unchanged and he did not cover it.

Flash
3686.  Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:22 pm Reply with quote

Q: What is Mozart's most famous tune?

A: Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star - which he wrote when he was five.

s: Paul Sullivan, Sullivan's Music Trivia, Sanctuary, 2003

Flash
3687.  Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:25 pm Reply with quote

Picture clue:

Q: What does this lot remind you of? (Germaine Greer, Princess Michael of Kent, Marshal Tito, Jackie Onassis, Marlon Brando).

A: The Jackson Five (Jermaine, Michael, Tito, Jackie, and Marlon)

(there's a better way to word this question: over to you guys)

Jenny
4125.  Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:24 pm Reply with quote

I'm putting this straight on here in order to avoid putting it on the Birds thread on the other forum, because I think it's a good one. A friend of mine was telling me about it today:

Q Why don't woodpeckers get a headache?

A Their skulls are very sturdy, with large sinuses at the front to absorb the force of the blows they make with their beaks, and a small brain at the back. (This bit from my friend, whose grandfather made a special study of them). From http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/01/1/image_pop/l_011_04.html I also pick up that their leg bones are large and strong to enable them to brace themselves against the trunk, and one to is reversed to give it a stronger grip. The end of the spine curves downwards to enable the tail feathers to act as a prop. The tail feathers are exceptionally stiff and the outermost feathers reduced in size to allow the tail to act as a prop.

Flash
4153.  Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:14 pm Reply with quote

Also NB Menocchio's post on the general board ages ago about how the woodpecker's tongue goes right round the back of its skull.

Flash
4160.  Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:59 pm Reply with quote

Bog Standard / Dog's bollocks

post 4106

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next