View previous topic | View next topic

Gesticulation

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Alfred E Neuman
496060.  Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:34 am Reply with quote

Backtracking to indicator signals on the roads - when I was learning to drive, a truck flashing his left indicator a couple of times meant that it was safe to pass (we drive on the left here). Somewhere this changed and now they flash their right indicator a couple of times, which I always find disconcerting - I'll be just about to pull out to overtake, see the right signal and back off to avoid hitting the truck as he pulls out. Which he never does. Unless there is a slower truck in front of him, in which case you're buggered if the road is narrow. Truck drivers also have habit of indicating to tell you to pass when there is a barrier line, and often no real visibility, and they seem to get more insistent the longer you decline their offer.

There is another habit drivers here have, and that is travelling in the mist with their hazards on. It's bloody annoying having their hazards flashing blindingly in your eyes for mile after mile. Assuming I have managed to not hit them for the first few minutes, you'd think they'd realise that I was aware of the existence?

Scanning that post, it looked a bit ventish, but actually if I was really venting about the morons on the roads, it would have been a whole lot longer, so I'll leave it as is.

crissdee
500364.  Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:13 am Reply with quote

Can I just point out that hazard lights in England are only to be used when your vehicle is an unavoidable stationary hazard.

mckeonj
500394.  Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
Can I just point out that hazard lights in England are only to be used when your vehicle is an unavoidable stationary hazard.

AND the horn is only to be sounded as a warning of approach, NOT in protest or as a greeting or a thankyou.

simonp
501606.  Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:07 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:

or when approaching slow moving/stationary traffic on a motorway.
or to summon aid to the driver of a PCV

crissdee
505979.  Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:48 am Reply with quote

simonp wrote:
crissdee wrote:

or when approaching slow moving/stationary traffic on a motorway.
or to summon aid to the driver of a PCV

Sources please, I do not believe either of these to be the case.

soup
506123.  Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote

The three cases where "hazards" are permited are

(i) to warn persons using the road of a temporary obstruction when the vehicle is at rest; or

(ii) on a motorway or unrestricted dual-carriageway, to warn following drivers of a need to slow down due to a temporary obstruction ahead; or

(iii) in the case of a bus, to summon assistance for the driver or any person acting as a conductor or inspector on the vehicle.

These appear on:-
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_4.htm (#27)
Which show part of
The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

(ii) and (iii) appear to me to be pretty much what simonp was saying

Edited to correct a where/were situation which I hadn't noticed until today

Last edited by soup on Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Colle
512311.  Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:18 am Reply with quote

I find myself waving my hand as if to fan myself, but right in front of my face, when I'm insistantly negating something. I think I picked it up in Japan. It just won't go away!

I really like the book, I think I'll get a gesture dictionary like that one day!

crissdee
512312.  Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:20 am Reply with quote

soup wrote:
The three cases were "hazards" are permited are

(i) to warn persons using the road of a temporary obstruction when the vehicle is at rest; or

(ii) on a motorway or unrestricted dual-carriageway, to warn following drivers of a need to slow down due to a temporary obstruction ahead; or

(iii) in the case of a bus, to summon assistance for the driver or any person acting as a conductor or inspector on the vehicle.

These appear on:-
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_4.htm (#27)
Which show part of
The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

(ii) and (iii) appear to me to be pretty much what simonp was saying

Thanks soup, you learn something new every day, which is surely why we're here in the first place!

'yorz
813149.  Wed May 04, 2011 6:31 am Reply with quote

After a long gap, here's my contribution:
I learned on the West Bank that you can insult somebody massively by making a fist with one hand, and then flat-handedly striking it 'from behind' with the other in an upward motion, whilst saying out loud, "Z'buqq". [that is phonetical; forgot what it was supposed to mean; presumably something anatomical]

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3