View previous topic | View next topic

Gesticulation

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

AlmondFacialBar
410024.  Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:56 am Reply with quote

*lol* that's it! :-D my brother drives a truck for a living, so does the left indicator - right indicator thing rather a lot during his day to day life, and when he was here the first time he got really pissed off with the idea of being expected to use his hazard lights instead. "they're for hazards only, for fuck's sake!" i've been driving here for eight years, but my first instinct is still left-right, too.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

markvent
484449.  Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:44 am Reply with quote

. .

Last edited by markvent on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Davini994
484755.  Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:42 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
are there motorised vehicles that don't have them? (except extreme vintage ones that is) i mean, i regularly get hazard light salutes from bikers, so... cars, trucks, bikes, what would be left there?

Bikes only got them some time between 1998 and 2005. Smaller bikes, i.e. 125s probably still don't have them now.

masterfroggy
484765.  Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:00 am Reply with quote

When I was taught to ride a motorcycle, I was taught that if you are being followed (in a car for example) by a bike, indicating left for a few moments meant it was safe to overtake you, most bikers would respond by a flash of their headlights, and then leave you for dust. I still do this, truckers it seems have the same un-written rule.

Arron
494747.  Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:18 pm Reply with quote

Hey there,

We're hoping to do something on gestures but as you know verifying them can be pretty tricky. Can anyone confirm from experience whether;

- Thumbs up is offensive in parts of Sardinia, Greece, the Middle East and North Africa?

-The A-Ok gesture (index finger touching the thumb to create a circle) is deemed offensive in Malta, Greece and/or Brazil?

- Burping at the table is welcomed as a gesture of gratification in Morocco?

It would be a huge help.

exnihilo
494766.  Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote

Arron wrote:

-The A-Ok gesture (index finger touching the thumb to create a circle) is deemed offensive in Malta, Greece and/or Brazil?

My Brazilian ex took considerable offence at it, but obviously that's purely anecdotal, I have nothing more solid than his word that it was offensive.

Posital
494773.  Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote

In MExico:

The OK gesture can mean A-hole if you're not careful. But you'd have to do it front of your chest and really curl your little finger. Then firmly move the hand a little towards your intended insultee.

Actually other sources vary this a bit.

One that might interest you is cupping the hands - it indicates that the insultee's testicles are so heavy that they can barely move.

You might also want to be careful how you ask in shops for eggs "tienes huevos" means do you have balls - "hay huevos" means do you have any eggs...

http://www.gadling.com/2008/06/24/a-lesson-in-mexican-gestures/print/ - is a good source.

mckeonj
494886.  Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote

I have an illustrated book, The International Dictionary of Sign Language, which may be of help. If you can't get a copy, I could scan it and send the images by email. 128 pages.
Sample scans here:

Covers

Sample page

Arron
495149.  Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:59 am Reply with quote

That's all really helpful thanks. I think we'll be able to get hold of the book if we go that route but thanks for the kind offer.

Any anecdotal stuff and first person proof as with the gadling website is just as helpful, if not more as it explicitly shows these gestures and their interpretations are still in use and valid.

Southpaw
495161.  Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:11 am Reply with quote

The OK finger-circle, in Japan, means 'I want my change in coins'.

Bondee
495516.  Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote

I'd say that the "hat back to front" meaning ready for a fight means the same thing in Britain too.

It would explain why the chavs wear their baseball caps the way they do.

Southpaw
495560.  Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:55 am Reply with quote

Chavs normally wear their baseball caps perched on the back of their head with the peak facing at a 45 angle up, not backwards. Backwards is more of a gangsta thing, but it has been superseded by a more modern sideways/other jaunty angle fashion.

Jenny
495801.  Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote

Something like this then?

Southpaw
495858.  Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote

Yup. Norman Wisdom: The Original Chav.

Sebastian flyte
496025.  Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote

mckeonj that is great fun, never knew the ear ones and they are Italian! :)

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next