View previous topic | View next topic

Great People

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

CB27
463988.  Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote

How about one episode dedicated to "Great People"?

And here's a question to kick us off:

Q. Why didn't Paul McCartney take Epstein up the aisle?

Klaxons for "I didn't think Paul was that way inclined", "They didn't allow gay marriages" or other such obvious answers.

The answer is that Linda McCartney's father's name wasn't always Lee Eastman, he was originally born Leopold Vail Epstein. In 1933 the society page of the New York Times ran an announcement that read:

Quote:
Mr. and Mrs. Max J. Lindner of this city have announced the engagement of their daughter, Miss Louise Dryfoos Lindner, to Leopold Vail Epstein, son of Mr. and Mrs. Louis Epstein of New York. Miss Lindner attended the Laurel Country Day School and graduated in 1933 from Smith College. Mr. Epstein, who is practicing in New York, studied at Harvard University and was graduated from law school there in 1933

However, by 1939 it seems that Eastman was preferred and an announcement ran which read:

Quote:
A son was born to Mr. and Mrs. Leopold Vail Eastman of 12 East 88th Street on July 10 at Doctors Hospital

Don't know when her dad changed his name to Lee.

Sadurian Mike
463999.  Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
Don't know when her dad changed his name to Lee.

Possibly to "de-Germanise" himself given the War and everything.

bobwilson
464124.  Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote

Fair point - but why would an episode dedicated to "Great People" include any reference to Linda Eastman/Epstein/McCartney?

CB27
464233.  Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:32 am Reply with quote

Oooh, I think Paul McCartney can be considered a great person in history.

Just because we don't like someone doesn't mean they didn't have an impact on society.

mckeonj
464246.  Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:51 am Reply with quote

Does Bonaparte count as Great, since he was rather Small?
What about Ivan the Great, mistranslated as Ivan the Terrible?

CB27
464298.  Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:41 am Reply with quote

I suppose all people have their meanings, but when I thought about "great people" I thought about people who had an impact on society and history, not people who were great personalities or great of stature or grated cheese, but this is a public thread for interesting facts, so I suppose all these meanings count.

Except perhaps for grated cheese, unless it's about a great person covered in it.

soup
464369.  Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
How about one episode dedicated to "Great People"?

And here's a question to kick us off:

Q. Why didn't Paul McCartney take Epstein up the aisle?

By that I take it you mean marry. Paul didn't take Linda (or whatever she was called that week) up the aisle 'cause the aisle is the side walkway, the bit up the middle is simply called the central passageway.

CB27
464375.  Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote

Ahhh, I remember that episode, but in my defence I'm using it as a figure of speech which can then be used as a "carry on" style double entendre :)

djgordy
464376.  Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:26 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:

The answer is that Linda McCartney's father's name wasn't always Lee Eastman, he was originally born Leopold Vail Epstein.

However, Linda was Linda Eastman from the day she was born so the answer to your question is; "because he married someone called Eastman".

Moosh
464501.  Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:36 pm Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:

He was 5'7". The short thing was British propaganda.

Sadurian Mike
464667.  Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote

Moosh wrote:
mckeonj wrote:

He was 5'7". The short thing was British propaganda.

But only 5' 2" in French inches, which made things a tad confusing. He was also known as "le petit caporal" (the little corporal) which further muddies the waters, although the term was one of affection rather than a reference to his height.

Plus he looked short at Waterloo because the Duke of Wellington was 8'3".

Ion Zone
464729.  Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
include any reference to Linda Eastman/Epstein/McCartney?

She did boost vegetarian food....

gerontius grumpus
465676.  Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:21 am Reply with quote

I'm amazed that they are still selling Linda McCartney sauasages, she died years ago, you'd think they'd have used her all up by now.

Sorry, I seem to have flipped into Frankie Boyle mode.

tetsabb
465745.  Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:06 am Reply with quote

If we are going to discuss great people, how come Nick Park has not been knighted yet?

gerontius grumpus
465758.  Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:39 am Reply with quote

It's an absolute disgrace, if Nick Park doesn't get significant recognition in the New Year Honours list we will have to start a revolution.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next