View previous topic | View next topic

Greebo

Page 1 of 1

Frances
466081.  Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:41 am Reply with quote

Just a big softy... according to his [?] owner, Nanny Ogg. Greebo has been magically transformed into a man [a distinctly raffish buccaneering type], and has been shut up in a box with a suit of armour, where he bagen to wonder if he would make it through the knight. One of the most QI characters on the Discworld.

The Doctor
466123.  Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quote

he is also "a fiend from hell" (well, he's a cat, it's only to be expected)
he will attack anything, including architecture, and once brought down an elk
has also killed vampires (one inside the vamp's coffin, another eaten whilst it was in bat form)
the only thing he seems afraid of are the Nac Mac Feegle, a most exuberant clan of gnomes (although they call themselves Pictsies)

Colle
466134.  Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:47 am Reply with quote

One of my relatives has a cat. I couldn't remember it's name, but it was a big cat and scary so I started calling it Greebo. It's rather alarming seeing scratch marks on the ceiling.
I haven't seen it eat any vampires, though.

soup
466149.  Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:

the Nac Mac Feegle, a most exuberant clan of gnomes (although they call themselves Pictsies)

I thought they were PICTsies because they were meant to be Scottish. So much did they follow there "Scottishness" that their war poets were called McGonagals ( William McGonagal was Scottish). Also do they not wear kilts, play bagpipes etc?

Sadurian Mike
466170.  Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote

Oh waily waily waily.

Davini994
466176.  Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:19 am Reply with quote

Greebo is an accepted variant on greb in Hull, I'm not sure about anywhere else. Greb meaning indie/rocker with black tees and big boots, prebritpop and all that.

Bondee
466318.  Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote

Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine wrote:
The grebos, the crusties, the goths
And the only living boy in New Cross

Davini994
466464.  Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote

Good point! So it's the same everywhere then.

Or maybe just Hull and South London, although unlikely;)

The Doctor
466645.  Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote

soup wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

the Nac Mac Feegle, a most exuberant clan of gnomes (although they call themselves Pictsies)

I thought they were PICTsies because they were meant to be Scottish. So much did they follow there "Scottishness" that their war poets were called McGonagals ( William McGonagal was Scottish). Also do they not wear kilts, play bagpipes etc?

that's what i said.
and yes they are, yes they do, and yes they do. Also they fight (when not unarmed) with twohanded swords that are slightly larger than the Feegles themselves (=claymore), and the females are remarkably smarter than the males (who mostly only use their heeds for bashin')

Frances
467320.  Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:48 am Reply with quote

Yes, Greebo eats vampires - at least, when they're in bat form. 'Vampires have returned from the crypt, from the grave, from the coffin - but never from the cat.' [Approximately - I can't be bothered going to re-read 'Witches Abroad']

As an ex-Glasgow Scot, I'm not that fond of some aspects of the Nac Mac Feegle. Not the stealing and drinking and fighting, of course, which are only natural, but imo their dialect leaves a fair number of leaves to be desired.

Sadurian Mike
468032.  Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:17 pm Reply with quote

Greebo has recently been seen to retreat from Granny Weatherwax's small kitten, althought his is obviously simply because he refuses to fight anything to small as opposed to being scared of the consequences.

Page 1 of 1