View previous topic | View next topic

Bible and Mana

Page 1 of 1

Roboshi
402338.  Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote

While watching my copy of the B series DVD I was going though the banter during the "aBominations/Bible" episode of QI and the theory was mentioned that was supposed to explain the subject of Mana falling to earth being the raining down of hydrocarbons from a near miss of venus.

This Theory was put forward by a Psychoanalyst by the name of Immanuel Velikovsky, and is detailed in his book "Worlds in Collision". This book, if read, is full of badly applied science and misses HUGE areas of facts any events would produce.

He began with the Theory "What if events in the bible actually happened and were caused by Venus coming in close proximity to earth". One of these was the dropping of mana; This would require Venus and Earth to "share" their atmospheres to allow this hydrocarbon rain.

There are many problems with this, one being the very fact we are still alive. Venus coming that close to the earth would cause such huge gravity-generated earthquakes that the earths crust would be almost totaly destroyed leaving earth as a molton ball of rock once more (albeit with a few small peices of rock still floating but nothing to live on)

This Theory of Mana dropping from Venus is a nice thought but complete science fiction.

 
Flash
402462.  Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:57 am Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Roboshi. That was me on the banter track (gratified but surprised that somebody has actually listened to it - I don't think anyone anticipated that) and I think I was the one that mentioned Velikovsky's idea. I haven't read the book, and I can't quite remember what I said on the DVD but in light of what you've told us I hope it sounded like I had my tongue in my cheek.

 
Arcane
402469.  Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:10 am Reply with quote

I only have the A series so far, but I love the banter tracks!

*makes note to order B series*

 
Roboshi
402726.  Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Thanks for that, Roboshi. That was me on the banter track (gratified but surprised that somebody has actually listened to it - I don't think anyone anticipated that) and I think I was the one that mentioned Velikovsky's idea. I haven't read the book, and I can't quite remember what I said on the DVD but in light of what you've told us I hope it sounded like I had my tongue in my cheek.


Surprised someone would listen to it? I don't think there's a part of the DVD I haven't watched twice.

But that Book has a strange case of becoming a cult hit with a surprising following of morons. And I feel it should be attacked at any opertunity, because it's a prime example of what can happen when good science is used in the wrong way.

It's similar to the science involvved in "dissproving" the Moon landing. Total rubbish, but some people actually believe it.

Another part I enjoyed was the Japanese Fugo Balloons and the origins of MIB and UFO sightings. There are also a few more cases of UFO's but most are either "Sundogs" "Ice crystals in the earths atmosphere reflecting and Refracting light into the sky. And, our old friend Venus, Being the 3rd brightest object in the sky, people wrongly assume in their minds, that brightness=Close proximity and (because it's so slow moving in the sky) it often appears to be "following" any observer.

 
Aurelius
407078.  Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:09 am Reply with quote

Roboshi wrote:
Flash wrote:
Thanks for that, Roboshi. That was me on the banter track (gratified but surprised that somebody has actually listened to it - I don't think anyone anticipated that) and I think I was the one that mentioned Velikovsky's idea. I haven't read the book, and I can't quite remember what I said on the DVD but in light of what you've told us I hope it sounded like I had my tongue in my cheek.


Surprised someone would listen to it? I don't think there's a part of the DVD I haven't watched twice.


Same here...but the Banter/Chat sections are also invaluable to back up what is said on the show.

Roboshi wrote:
But that Book has a strange case of becoming a cult hit with a surprising following of morons. And I feel it should be attacked at any opertunity, because it's a prime example of what can happen when good science is used in the wrong way.

It's similar to the science involvved in "dissproving" the Moon landing. Total rubbish, but some people actually believe it.

Another part I enjoyed was the Japanese Fugo Balloons and the origins of MIB and UFO sightings. There are also a few more cases of UFO's but most are either "Sundogs" "Ice crystals in the earths atmosphere reflecting and Refracting light into the sky. And, our old friend Venus, Being the 3rd brightest object in the sky, people wrongly assume in their minds, that brightness=Close proximity and (because it's so slow moving in the sky) it often appears to be "following" any observer.


One of my favourite quotes is from Gaius Julius Caesar: "men generally believe what they wish." And another one is "believe half of what you see and none of what you hear" but I can't remember who said that second one. Science, much like religion, is far too liable to be misused.

 
qijon
787112.  Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:54 am Reply with quote

For that, I suggest you read the Bible (APOCALYPSE BOOK). This book tells what will happen to the whole universe and whole humanity when God is ready to do his will. This book will give you a fright, but if only you have a strong faith in God, there is nothing to worry about.

Thank you and God Speed.


hundred island


Last edited by qijon on Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total

 
Ainee
787138.  Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:18 am Reply with quote

I like the simplicity of the fact that the best translation of "Manna" from Aramaic would be "What is it?"

Ainee

 
Jenny
787164.  Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:03 am Reply with quote

qijon wrote:
For that, I suggest you read the Bible (APOCALYPSE BOOK). This book tells what will happen to the whole universe and whole humanity when God is ready to do his will.


Interestingly, a friend of mine who is a geologist in Greece, tells me that the cave at Patmos in which St John the Divine, author of Revelations, is supposed to have written his book, is subject to a seepage of a natural gas that gives rise to hallucinations. A similar seepage is found in the cave at Delphi where the Oracle of ancient Greece delivered her prophecies. Both of these sound to me like a more believable theory than the one that says the writings of Revelations actually mean something.

 
'yorz
787200.  Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:19 am Reply with quote

The TV series/documentary Worlds in Collision by Veliskovsy was very popular in The Netherlands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R8giRIyVvw


Dr Carl Sagan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hNje6W7NWo&feature=fvwrel

Veliskovsy the Unsung Genius
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U_c6xlXXew&feature=watch_response

 
Ainee
787212.  Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:40 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
qijon wrote:
For that, I suggest you read the Bible (APOCALYPSE BOOK). This book tells what will happen to the whole universe and whole humanity when God is ready to do his will.


Interestingly, a friend of mine who is a geologist in Greece, tells me that the cave at Patmos in which St John the Divine, author of Revelations, is supposed to have written his book, is subject to a seepage of a natural gas that gives rise to hallucinations. A similar seepage is found in the cave at Delphi where the Oracle of ancient Greece delivered her prophecies. Both of these sound to me like a more believable theory than the one that says the writings of Revelations actually mean something.


Ethylene. My Motor Mechanic says they keep it on a high shelf, out of the way of the Apprentices. He says it gives severe headaches.

The Delphic Oracle also chewed bay leaves. I wonder if there is some growing around the cave in Patmos? It sounds likely. Perhaps the two things interact in a Revelationary way...

 
sjb
787254.  Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:04 pm Reply with quote

Jenny, I wonder who your geologist friend in Greece is. A friend/former professor of mine was part of the team that argued ethylene rising from fault lines caused the Pythia's behavior. Well, I think he was the lead on that one--he's not shy about it. Here he is, starting just after 1:00.

 
Spud McLaren
787258.  Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote

Ainee wrote:
I like the simplicity of the fact that the best translation of "Manna" from Aramaic would be "What is it?"

Ainee
Ah, wotsit from Heaven.

Plausible.

 

Page 1 of 1

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group