View previous topic | View next topic

Gods and Goddesses

Page 1 of 6
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Ian Dunn
385513.  Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:48 am Reply with quote

In an episode of Room 101, Harry Hill nominated to get rid of God, because of the lack of miracles happening in modern times. Paul Merton put God in on the condiditon that he was replaced by Sir Jimmy Savile.

Sebastian flyte
385811.  Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:36 pm Reply with quote

don'tputthisguy?intoroom101

but is a hermaphrodite God a God or a Goddess???

Arcane
385934.  Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:16 am Reply with quote

On the topic of Gods and Goddesses, Marion Zimmer Bradley wrote a book called "The Firebrand" (fiction) about the fall of Troy, the events leading up to it and after, written from the point of Kassandra/Cassandra. Possibly my favourite book ever, made the Gods and Goddesses appear more human, and more like squabbling children!

But a very good read nonetheless.

Sebastian flyte
385948.  Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:14 am Reply with quote

Is there an Asterix book where the God's squabble? I seem to remember it? Or it is the film where he does the twelve tasks..

Something I would like to know is does every Greek God and goddess have a Roman counterpart?

Sebastian flyte
385958.  Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:21 am Reply with quote

For God's beginning with G we have Goibniu (Goibhniu) pronounced I think Goive-Nu. Who was one of the Irish smith Gods. His mead gave the drinker invulnerability and possibly immortality. He forged swords that never missed their target! A similar God existed in Wales ,Govannon, Abergavenny being associated with him and his Gallo-Roman (Gaulish roman) version Gobbannus /Gabannos as it was called Gobannium in Roman times. Abergavenny means Goibhniu's River. He is very like Vulcan (Roman) and Hephaestus (Greek).

There is the Green man of course but I think he might be a spirit or fairy rather than a God.There is however the fantastically named Gayomart, which means dying life. He was the first man in Persian Mythology he was poisoned and from his seed grew Mashye and Mashyane the father and mother of the human race.

Arcane
385984.  Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:16 am Reply with quote

I have an excellent book on Roman/Greek mythology somewhere in the deepest darkest depths of Mr R's office.

Hang on Seb, I shall look.

It seems that the Romans were impressed by Greek mythology and adopted it quite happily, identifiying with many Italian deities and even those they had no equivalent for. By the 2nd century BC, they seem to have merged.

Here is a good little site to compare Greek/Roman mythology figures, reasonably basic but a good starting point.

This is an interesting site, and quite twinkly too!

Sebastian flyte
385995.  Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:37 am Reply with quote

There are 12 Olympians (Zeus Hera Posiedon Hades Demeter Ares
Hermes Aphrodite Athena (or Athene) Dionysus Apollo and Artemis) I think and I have no idea how many other Greek Gods?? But I suppose we can say that the Romans had equivalents of the main Greek Gods at least, maybe all the others, I think the Romans liked Egyptian Gods too the famous temple of Isis at Pompeii even gets in my Cambridge Latin course book 1 (school book) it makes them seem quite modern to take bits and pieces of things like that, *arranges feng shui on desk* *polishes Apollo statue* *crosses self*.

Arcane
386001.  Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:51 am Reply with quote

At the bottom of the second site I provided the link to, you'll find a table of Greek/Roman deities comparisons.

Sebastian flyte
386006.  Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:01 am Reply with quote

OO I must have missed that one, but are those all the God's? Gobannus could be just another name for Vulcan I suppose??

96aelw
386048.  Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote

Not all of them, no. Not by a long chalk. Both the Greeks and Romans had truck loads of deities, and you would be doing exceptionally well to list the lot of them.

Gobannus looks to be a Latin language form of a Gaulish smith god; how Roman one might regard him as being is potentially moving into somewhat controversial turf, but a Roman in Gaul would, I would tentatively suggest, perhaps not have regarded him as just Vulcan under another name, since he doesn't seem to be attested epigraphically in the form "Vulcan Gobannus", but rather as "Gobannus" or "Deus Gobannus" (God Gobannus). When Romans regarded a local deity as being one of the ones they already had under a different name, one generally finds inscriptions and dedications to the god using the Roman name together with the indigenous one; Mars Nodens, for example, or Sulis Minerva at Bath. The fact that Gobby (if I can call him that) avoids this fate is perhaps significant, but I'm mainly working off the wiki article, and so could be wholly wrong.

But yeah, gods coming out of their ears, quite frankly. There were local deities for pretty much any locality you care to mention, and while these might be one of the big names, they might equally be an obscure little godlet unknown anywhere else, there were lares and penates, essentially gods of individual households, and there were countless gods who consisted of little more than an ordinary noun with a capital letter slapped on the front. Some of these might never have seen the light of day outside of poems, but there were all sorts of little divinities one hasn't heard of. I remember reading a book once which listed all the goddesses known to have been concerned with various parts of childbirth. There was pretty much a different one exclusively concerned with each individual stage of that distinctly dangerous process; I think I counted 17 in all.

Sebastian flyte
386055.  Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quote

lotsofemhere!

I found another site which has a lot of Roman Gods listed. I'm off to read my 'Greek Myths' again in a few minutes :) About the household Gods, the Romans had shrines in their houses called Larariums. Lares seem a little like angels or fairies to me.

Sebastian flyte
386078.  Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote

Another G related God's related myth is that of Ganymede and this story has been credited with being used to justify homosexuality in Greece. Ganymede-rarara!

Sadurian Mike
386221.  Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote

Sebastian flyte wrote:
Something I would like to know is does every Greek God and goddess have a Roman counterpart?

Only the main ones. The Greeks had a bewildering variety of gods and deities.

EDIT: Scooped by 96aelw. That'll teach me not to hit the red wine before posting.

Davini994
386247.  Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote

Q1) Is it true that there are 33 million and 3 Hindu gods?

Q2) If so, can you name them all?

Sebastian flyte
386264.  Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote

Q1) I wouldn't be surprised the number 3 seems to crop up a lot in this sort of thing.
Q2) no. :)

Page 1 of 6
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next