Gloucester and Gloucestershire

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Sebastian flyte
420603.  Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote

That is a lovely pig.

gerontius grumpus
420714.  Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:06 am Reply with quote

Yes, Gloucester old spots rank with Tamworths in the prettiest pig stakes.
But about those lampreys, I've always wondered if the good citizens of Gloucester were hoping to repeat the Henry I lamprey incident.

Dix
420792.  Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
mckeonj wrote:
Isn't it lovely how Americans pronounce Gloucestershire and Worcestershire; giving full value to every syllable?

Don't forget Lie cess ter shire.

And once the pronounciation penny drops, someone is sure to mention Cirencester...
How do you guys cope with these names? Anyone remember being confused with the spelling/pronounciation when first learning the names in childhood?
<revealing my non-british-nativeness>

The pig is indeed lovely. And so is the cathedral. Not sure about the cheese, though.

gerontius grumpus
421004.  Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:46 am Reply with quote

Well you do pronounce every syllable in Cirencester, although the locals often abbreviat it to Ciren. The "Ciceter" pronunciation seems to be a victorian poetic invention.

Yes the cheese is lovely too. Proper famhouse double and single gloucester can be found in farm shops and delicatessens in the area. One of my favourites is Mrs Smart's single gloucester from Churcham.

Izzardesque
421581.  Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote

Whats the difference between single and double Gloucester?

samivel
421595.  Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote

Single Gloucester is made from mainly skimmed milk, Double Gloucester is whole milk.

greentree
421684.  Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
OK, to try and breathe some life back into it, let me just add that Gloucester Cathedral was used as a location for filming the upcoming Dr Who special :)

Tis also one of the locations for the Harry Potter films. I think the cloisters are used to make up part of Hogwarts.

Joanna Trollpe's the Choir is also based around Gloucester Cathedral.

gerontius grumpus
421827.  Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:34 pm Reply with quote

Carla Lane's Butterflies was filmed in Cheltenham, Dr Doolittle (the Rex Harrison version ) was filmed in Chipping Campden, The childhood scenes of The Singing Detective were filmed in the Forest of Dean and both dramatisations of Cider With Rosie were filmed largely around Slad and the Stroud Valleys.
On the other hand, Hot Fuzz, set in Gloucestershire, was filmed in Somerset.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2