View previous topic | View next topic

F-f-fearfully frightening!

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

dr.bob
426649.  Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:24 am Reply with quote

See, the thing about a phobia is that it's irrational. Thus you could ask "How can anyone be afraid of....?" of pretty much any phobia.

Davini994
426661.  Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:35 am Reply with quote

It doesn't seem that clavicles have enough 'personality', enough features, enough uniqueness, to be specifically scared of them.

Courgettes, cows, matt paint, shallow dips: I could understand all of these. Clavicles I could do with an explanation on Fi?

Southpaw
426669.  Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:43 am Reply with quote

What about partly rational fears? I have a fear of sharks, but seeing as I live as far away from the sea as possible in this country, and indeed can't swim so don't go in the sea when I'm near it, is that a rational fear or not?

bobwilson
426734.  Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:52 am Reply with quote

Being a long a way from the sea doesn't mean you won't get to see a shark[/img]

smiley_face
426736.  Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:54 am Reply with quote

Southpaw wrote:
What about partly rational fears? I have a fear of sharks, but seeing as I live as far away from the sea as possible in this country, and indeed can't swim so don't go in the sea when I'm near it, is that a rational fear or not?

That's not irrational, because a shark has the capability of posing a threat to your existence. It's an evolutionary thing - totally rational.

As for the clavicle issue - It's not so much a phobia as a really intense dislike. I don't run from the room when I see a clavicle (would be a bit of a social problem were that the case), I just feel odd when I see someone with really pronounced clavicles, and cringe enormously if I have mine touched or have to touch someone else's.

Have no fear, though, my supervisor and fellow students are on a mission to rectify the matter.

Bulldog clips and clavicles - need I say more...

Davini994
426739.  Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:56 am Reply with quote

Ok then!

Colle
446589.  Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote

As it wasn't mentioned yet, I thought I might bring this link up, somebody might think it to be QI: http://www.phobialist.com/

As for me, I seem to have a fear of vomiting. Everytime I feel ill, I'm more worried about having to rush to the toilet than anything else. I think it's also the main reason why I don't drink alcohol in large quantities, I'm so afraid of the consequences.
But that doesn't really make sense either, because vomiting is a mechanism to get rid of things your body deems harmful, isn't it?
(Sorry for bringing up such a horrible subject ^^x*)

Efros
446614.  Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote

It may be, but for me it is a whole body experience which totally exhausts me, and hurts like hell. I don't vomit easily and I am wracked with spasms which wreck me.

QiScorpion
446620.  Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:12 am Reply with quote

I hate vomiting too. My mouth feels horrible before hand (just behind my jaw feels weird) and i feel shaky and *shudders* it's just not nice.

I don't fear it though.

If i fear anything, it's what darkness hides. I don't fear darkness, i fear what can be hidden by it - normally this mean muggers and nasty people. I've never feared a monster in the closet or anything.

Davini994
446731.  Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:49 pm Reply with quote

Charlie Brooker has the same phobia, so you are in good company.

Sadurian Mike
446847.  Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote

QiScorpion wrote:
I hate vomiting too.

It is not meant to be pleasant experience, being decidedly opposite to what the body is actually designed to be doing.

I suppose there is the argument that vomiting, being a built-in reflex to get rid of potentially harmful substances, is also actually part of the body's design, but I'd say that the digestive system has primarily evolved to have things travel downwards rather than the other way.

Davini994
446852.  Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:16 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
I'd say that the digestive system has primarily evolved to have things travel downwards rather than the other way.
Solution: throw up while hanging upside down. Simple!

;)

Throwing up is somewhat trance like I'd say. Noticing people talking or anything around you is quite difficult. I wonder if that has anything to do with the phobia?

Sadurian Mike
446867.  Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote

Davini994 wrote:
Solution: throw up while hanging upside down. Simple!

I believe that some bungee jumpers have already tried that. I don't know if anyone asked them whether or not the experience was more pleasant than the other way up, mind.

Davini994 wrote:
Throwing up is somewhat trance like I'd say. Noticing people talking or anything around you is quite difficult. I wonder if that has anything to do with the phobia?

Losing control is a common phobia or fear, and I suppose you can't get a lot less in control than when you are in the middle of some really Olympic class heaving.

There is always that little voice outside the bathroom door asking, "are you alright?" How many such concerned loved ones actually expect a positive or lucid answer at that point, I wonder?

Colle
447021.  Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:04 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Charlie Brooker has the same phobia, so you are in good company.

Hurrah. ^^x*
I'm also afraid of lightning, but I guess that's reasonable.

Davini994
447052.  Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:38 am Reply with quote

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next