View previous topic | View next topic

F-f-fearfully frightening!

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

soup
400577.  Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote

There is nothing scary about this clown.

Efros
400582.  Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote

They all float down here!

CB27
400584.  Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:08 am Reply with quote

scottydog, for your first question I'd say yes, because that's what irrational fear is about and Pavlov and other doctors have studied long and hard to see how we can stimulate physical reactions with sensory ones - that's the building blocks of brainwashing.

As for the second question, the answer would also be yes to a degree, though that would be harder to control and is usually only achievable through hypnosis (I count meditation as a sort of self hynosis as well). The problem here is that rather than remove a rational fear, you've put up a barrier to something that illicits that rational fear, be it pain, taste, etc.

CB27
400585.  Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote

And I should add it doesn't work with everyone. CBT - Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, doesn't work for everyone, some simply have to learn to cope with their phobias.

scottydog
400592.  Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:27 am Reply with quote

I definately have a learned phobia of flying. I was never great in planes but in a two year spell had to go through three emergency landings, and the end result is I now hate it. I consider myself reasonably strong willed and do still fly- both for work and for holidays/travel but I spend the entire time (even on 13hr + flights) tense and listening to every sound and never taking my eyes off the cabin crew, cold clammy sweats and sometimes I have to really concentrate on not trying to get off the plane at 39000 feet.

My own issues with flying make me angry at myself, in a way they are rational, but in another way I know that when I get on the plane I might as well chill out and make the most of things, have a drink, read, relax- but I can't.

It is pathetic really, I am not a control freak and not someone who worries about things, in fact I live my life by the mantra, 'don't worry about things that haven't happened yet.' I am a genuinly relaxed person but absolutely freak at flying. I cannot look at a plane flying overhead, cannot watch them take off and land, it makes me feel sick. It is only planes too, I have been in helicopters on a few occasions and don't mind, in fact they are great.

This fear is the direct result of experiences and it gets right up my bloody nose! Having said that, I've flown about 20 times this year so far and probably have another 5 or 6 foreign trips to do- I just have to age about 20years everytime I get on the things.

HerrBen
400608.  Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:51 am Reply with quote

Children don't have a natural fear of snakes. Until they have seen an adult acting fearfully in the presence of one they're perfectly happy to be around them. You can program children to be afraid of just about anything with a bit of classical conditioning, ie. a loud bang to scare them every time they are exposed to whatever you want them to fear. This is the basis for phobias, the healthy way that we learn to fear dangers through experience can lead us to pick up irrational fears of pretty much anything, after just one bad experience that the sufferer probably can't even remember. hence the huge lists of named phobias that seem so absurd.

QiScorpion
401857.  Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:40 am Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
this has the makings of a very interesting thread - kudos to the scorpion for raising the question.

The examples quoted by Davini demonstrate the paucity of the English language in some respects. Being squeamish about killing a chicken is quite different from being squeamish about (to paraphrase - and hoping that Davini will accept the equivalence) stroking a slug. They do have some characteristics in common but they are very different.

What they have in common is that they are perceived to be unpleasant experiences. I think this thread will wander off into some discussion of squeamishness (what a glorious word that is - I wonder if there's even an equivalent in any other language than English?).

But I'm a great believer in trying to keep the thread in line with the original post. The question was - what's the point of being afraid?

Starting from the obvious - fear is a defence mechanism. I think Scorpion partially inadvertently answered the question when he labelled some fears irrational and others rational.

Fear of clowns is not entirely irrational. Clowns mimic grotesques for comedic effect - but grotesques are almost by definition fearful creatures (there's another side track that could run and run)

Fear of buttons - that's a bit harder to understand and I confess I have no rationale for it - but I also have no experience of it either.

As for "If we're all going to die eventually anyway, what is the point of being afraid of something that would kill us?" - well this isn't really worth discussing is it? I can't believe Scorp was serious when s/he posted this part?

I used clowns and buttons only as examples because at the time i couldn't think of any really silly fears.

i was being serious when i said what';s been emboldened but i thought it through and i now see what folly it was. *embarrassed*

i'm a male, by the way!

Starfish13
415408.  Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:44 am Reply with quote

Davini994 wrote:
Bob Wilson wrote:
stroking a slug

Expertly put I'd say :)

The things like that that we are squeamish about are always situations that could be dangerous. Gloopy creatures like slugs can be poisonous, e.g. frogs; spiders are easy to understand, as are slithery things - they are potentially poisonous too.

Licking a slug dries up all your saliva. Apparently.

jakamneziak
415414.  Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote

pennywise? the punk rock band? Actually yeh they are a bunch of clowns arent they. Cant see whats scary about a punk rock band but hey. Clowns though, eerie more than scary (creepy could also be a good word.) They make my blood run cold (surely there has to be a technical term for that.)

As for fear, well how do you explain the fear of failure then? Is it rational? Is it fight or flight? What causes it?

samanthasamwise
426453.  Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote

does anyone know the name for the phobia of wasps, because I have that.

I can't recall an event that triggered me being so afraid of them and I've never been stung by one. That may be due to my speedy exit whenever one comes near me though. Those olympic 100 metre runners have nothing on me as soon as I hear that cold sweat inducing buzz......*shudders*.

How would you treat this though? I can't imagine that I'd ever gradually become used to them. I've tried ignoring them until my body takes over and I have to run, it's just impossible not to.

I'd really like to not be bothered by them as it can be embarrassing when i run out on customers in my shop or into people as I'm running away...

oh well. At least it's amusing to people who aren't me.

Davini994
426456.  Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote

I got stung on the inside of the mouth by a wasp, after taking a bite out of a burger it was residing in.

As I can't think of anything worse happening, and it wasn't all that bad, I'm not particularly fussed by them any more.

96aelw
426468.  Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote

samanthasamwise wrote:
does anyone know the name for the phobia of wasps, because I have that.

"Fear of wasps" is probably your best bet in order to remain within the bounds of comprehensibility, but I reckon your best bet for a nicely poncy, Geek derived word is "sphekophobia". A quick shufti round google suggests that the internet vastly favours "spheksophobia", but I can't help feeling that that's etymologically indefensible. "Sphexophobia" is a rather better spelling for that pronunciation, and would do, I suppose.

smiley_face
426488.  Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote

It has transpired since I started my degree that I have a phobia of clavicles. I'd hazard a guess that it's called Cleidophobia, but I think that's mixing Greek and Latin, and fear I may be shot for doing such a thing...

96aelw
426490.  Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote

At dawn, if not earlier, yes. But in fact cleidiophobia would satisfy even the most ardently unilingual of monoglots, being as it is impeccably Greek throughout. The firing squad can have a lie in tomorrow.

Davini994
426504.  Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote

How can anyone be afraid of clavicles?

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next