View previous topic | View next topic

"G" Phobias and Fears.

Page 1 of 1

Arcane
407056.  Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:27 am Reply with quote

Here for your amusement and bemusement (and inspired by another thread), some "G" phobias and fears:

Gamophobia: Fear of marriage.
Galeophobia: Fear of sharks.
Geliophobia: Fear of laughter.
Geniophobia: Fear of chins.
Genuphobia: Fear of knees.
Gephyrophobia/Gephydrophobia/Gephyrdrophobia/Gephysrophobia:
Fear of crossing bridges.
Gerascophobia: Fear of growing old.
Germanophobia: Fear of Germany, German culture, etc.
Gerontophobia: Fear of old people or of growing old.
Geumaphobia/Geumophobia: Fear of taste.
Glossophobia: Fear of speaking in public or of trying to speak.
Globophobia: Fear of balloons.
Graphophobia: Fear of writing or handwriting.
Gymnophobia: Fear of nudity.
Gynephobia/Gynophobia: Fear of women.

Ian Dunn
407064.  Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:34 am Reply with quote

reddygirl wrote:
Graphophobia: Fear of writing or handwriting.

I don't know about being scared of other people's handwriting, but my own writing is so awful I'm scared of other people reading mine at times.

"Philias and Phobias" thread on the forum

jakamneziak
407082.  Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:14 am Reply with quote

ditto mine. My handwriting can be compared to an epileptic spider drowning in black treacle whilst having a heart attack

Arcane
407098.  Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:35 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:

"Philias and Phobias" thread on the forum

Reddygirl wrote:
(and inspired by another thread)

Exactly, heheheheh. But these are more "G" specific, thank you for the idea tho ID!

Ian Dunn
407125.  Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:23 am Reply with quote

Is the "ID" my initials or some kind of emoticon?

King of Quok
407128.  Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:30 am Reply with quote

The opposite of a phobia (though I suppose you could make it one by a bit of suffix substitution!) but apparently a gynotikolobomassophile is a gentleman (or indeed lady) who is aroused by nibbling on a lady's earlobe.

Arcane
407500.  Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
Is the "ID" my initials or some kind of emoticon?

ID is not an emoticon, it's definitely your initials! (I only use two: ;-D and :-D generally). I'm not really an emoti-person.

Ian Dunn
407517.  Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:58 am Reply with quote

OK, I just like to be sure on these things. ^_^

Arcane
407539.  Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:26 am Reply with quote

:-D !

violetriga
407990.  Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote

Lists of phobias are quite common. I wonder how many of them actually exist as a true phobia and how many are just people playing with Greek words.

Arcane
408048.  Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:35 am Reply with quote

I wonder if there is a phobia of making words up for phobias, or overuse of Greek words... I'm not an expert in that area, I wonder if anyone can come up with something!

Sebastian flyte
408169.  Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:50 am Reply with quote

Talking of overuse of Greek there was a new quiz on BBCfour last night and I watched it with the Dad before our dinner and they had the Greek alphabet as the categories to choose from, which we both found a bit too pompous really a bit silly. The show wasn't that great but there was a fun round where you had to categorize words into sets and that was good and another where you had to work out the person who's name was shown without any vowels. Other than that it was okay but they should have had cleverer contestants on the first show so you could work out how the other harder rounds worked, it looked confusing to poor little me. It did show promise but the Greek alphabet just made us cringe. It was called 'only connect'.

King of Quok
409622.  Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote

reddygirl wrote:
I wonder if there is a phobia of making words up for phobias, or overuse of Greek words... I'm not an expert in that area, I wonder if anyone can come up with something!

I have The Insomniacs' Dictionary, which ends its chapter on 'phobia' words with the neologism phobologophobia, for 'a fear of "phobia" words'.

Page 1 of 1