View previous topic | View next topic

Tristan da Cunha

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Tatar Lover
398698.  Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:54 am Reply with quote

Has anyone on the board ever visited the `Loneliest Inhabited Island in the World?` I know so much about the place but I've never met anyone who has visited.

AndyMcH
398717.  Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:28 am Reply with quote

The closest I have got was Ascencion Island.

Tatar Lover
398757.  Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:22 am Reply with quote

TubewayAndy wrote:
The closest I have got was Ascencion Island.

Were you based there in the RAF? Must have been an amazing experience.

Zebra57
650879.  Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quote

Hardly surprising that nobody visits Tristan da Cunha. The British only got interested in it when Napoleon went into exile. It is very difficult to get to but further south is the more isolated Gough Island.

I believe the Tristan da Cunha's main source of income is from the issue of stamps.

seafarer
651323.  Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:08 am Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:
Hardly surprising that nobody visits Tristan da Cunha. The British only got interested in it when Napoleon went into exile. It is very difficult to get to but further south is the more isolated Gough Island.

I believe the Tristan da Cunha's main source of income is from the issue of stamps.

We do get visitors here on Tristan - up to 130 a year on "regular" passenger vessels plus several hundred more via the handful of cruise ships which call. Our main income is derived from lobster fishing, although we also earn revenue from the sale of commemorative stamps and coins.

Jenny
651366.  Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote

Hey I love information straight from the source! Welcome seafarer :-)

seafarer
651384.  Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:17 pm Reply with quote

thanks - couldn't resist replying! Just getting ready for the community's New year's Eve party. Enjoy whatever you're doing this evening.

Jenny
651392.  Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote

Thanks - have a good party and all best wishes for 2010.

Zebra57
651400.  Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:44 pm Reply with quote

HI seafarer

Enjoy your party, where do you send your lobsters to?

Where do most of your visitors come from?

CB27
651903.  Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote

Abroad?

:)

Jenny
652252.  Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote

I suppose if you live on Tristan da Cunha, there's rather a lot of abroad.

seafarer
657858.  Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:27 am Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:
HI seafarer

Enjoy your party, where do you send your lobsters to?

Where do most of your visitors come from?

Good day everyone - Tristan lobsters (which are delicious) sell mainly in the US and Japan. The market's a bit depressed at the moment for obvious reasons. Our visitors are mainly from the UK. The easiest way to get here is to travel on a cruise ship. We have three calling in March. But landing can sometimes be tricky and cannot be guaranteed. Check out www.tristandc.com

Zebra57
658066.  Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:00 pm Reply with quote

Hi Seafarer

Thanks for the information. How popular is QI on the Island or are you in a group of one?

I can just about remember the Island population being evacuated to Merstham, Surrey, England following the volcanic eruption in 1961.

In lived in neighbouring Croydon and remember our teacher telling us about the evacuation. The local papers covered the arrival and subsequent return of the islanders (in 1963) in great detail.

Please keep in touch it was good to hear from you.

seafarer
658070.  Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:24 am Reply with quote

Just me I think, Zebra. I'm always surprised at how many people in UK recall the evac. The islanders here now in their 40s talk very fondly of their time in UK, even though it must have been tough for them.

Zebra57
658346.  Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:51 am Reply with quote

Seafarer: You may find this extract from The Historical Guide to Merstham by Kevin Ausen QI.

Tristan da Cunha

"In the early 1960s the disused Pendell Army Camp at the Warwick Wold end of Bletchingley Road once again opened its doors to people from faraway corners of the earth.
Previously used to billet Canadian troops during World War II this time it welcomed refugees from a small remote island in the mid-Atlantic range. Tristan da Cunha, a volcanic island situated 1250 miles (2000km) to the south-west of the Cape of Good Hope, South Africa was discovered by the Portuguese in 1506 and is named after its discoverer, Tristao da Cunha. It became strategically important with the exile of Napoleon Bonaparte to St. Helena and the British formally annexed Tristan in August 1816 setting up a small garrison there.
In 1961 a volcanic eruption caused the evacuation of all of the island's 264 inhabitants to England. The eruption was of modest size, but occurred from a small cone immediately adjacent to the settlement of Edinburgh.
For two years the islanders stayed in Merstham but maintained much their close-knit community ways and a desire to return to the island."

There is a lot of information about the evacuation in local documents especially the local newspapers. Did all the islanders return in 1963 or did some remain in Britain?

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next