View previous topic | View next topic

Git Wizard (David Blaine)

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
396960.  Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:06 am Reply with quote

The Git Wizard is what the comedian Marcus Brigstocke calls street magican David Blaine, who recently announced his latest stunt - hanging upside-down from a wire for three days and nights over Wollman Rink, New York.

Story of the stunt
Brigstocke's stand-up on Blaine
Brigstocke putting Blaine into Room 101

bobwilson
402400.  Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
The Git Wizard is what the comedian Marcus Brigstocke calls street magican David Blaine, who recently announced his latest stunt - hanging upside-down from a wire for three days and nights over Wollman Rink, New York.

Story of the stunt
Brigstocke's stand-up on Blaine
Brigstocke putting Blaine into Room 101

"hanging upside-down from a wire for three days and nights"

by his neck? If only.

Being able to do "magic" is cool - but when you start believing your own hype despite knowing the truth - then you just become the US. Hey - we're invincible (for which translate, I'm invisible). Audience (ake rest of world) - no you're not.

Mr Grue
402693.  Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:34 am Reply with quote

Hanging upside down by your neck would indeed be a good trick.

Blaine's become an endurance artist, which isn't necessarily him "believing his own hype", just moving into a different field of performance. Blaine's position (from the Brit view at least) is an interesting reversal to Houdini's. Houdini was an escape artist who wanted to be a stage conjuror, but could never command the same kind of success as he did when dangling upside-down from a newspaper office in a strait-jacket. Blaine is a magician who wants to be an endurance artist, but is largely met with derision for it.

I don't think Blaine's intended message is "I'm invincible; you're not" more "I'm invincible; you could be too". Admittedly It's not a message he pulls off too well, in part because of his stoner magician personality. The trick is to be superman and everyman at the same time, but his perceived distance and aloofness prevents the everyman coming through.

FWIW I think Blaine is somewhat overrated, but there is something in his presentation of magic which I feel was revolutionary, at least for TV. The shows linger on the audience reaction, which is where the real magic is happening. Prior to this you'd often get stiff volunteers up on stage and an audience applauding, neither of which really reflect being baffled or amazed.

suze
402824.  Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:29 am Reply with quote

Is he an endurance artist though?

I suppose the best known of his stunts was the 44 days he apparently spent in a glass box near Tower Bridge back in 2003. Was that in fact the feat of endurance which he says it was, or was it a conjuring trick (that is, he wasn't really in the box all the time)?

In a way, I almost hope it was the second - if it was a conjuring trick, it was a dashed clever one.

Davini994
402825.  Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote

He was certainly difficult to hit with eggs.

Mr Grue
403237.  Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Was that in fact the feat of endurance which he says it was, or was it a conjuring trick (that is, he wasn't really in the box all the time)?

The same questions can be asked of Houdini, and Derren Brown for that matter. I believe the glass box challenge was genuine, though it was fun reading all the theories on how it could have been made easier or faked outright.

Iamtheelephant616
883821.  Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:56 pm Reply with quote

Anyone else get here today by watching Alexander Armstrong's Big Ask? XD

*scrolls up* Apparently not. :P

Ep157ula
884381.  Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote

Iamtheelephant616 wrote:
Anyone else get here today by watching Alexander Armstrong's Big Ask? XD

*scrolls up* Apparently not. :P

actually yes but 2 days later apparently
it was the Brigstock Git Wizard comment

RLDavies
884385.  Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:04 pm Reply with quote

As far as I know, Blaine really has become an endurance artist, at least in the sense that he's actually doing what he claims to be doing. He seems to be fixated on the idea of controlling himself under extreme conditions, and whether anyone else finds it entertaining isn't particularly important to him.

The lovely Derren Brown, mentioned by Mr Grue, is on the other hand a straightforward sleight-of-hand magician turned mentalist, and has never really claimed to be anything else.

eggshaped
884424.  Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:19 am Reply with quote

I did. I knew quite a lot of the answers there - don't know where I might've heard them before!

Marcus Brigstock was gloating that he is responsible for the word "gitwizard" and he said it's his proudest achievement that if you google that word, the top answer is Blaine.

Well, on my search for gitwizard at least, the top result was Brigstock's wiki page - which seems to make him hoist by his own petard!

Jenny
884571.  Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote

Welcome Ep157ula :-)

Strawberry
884583.  Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:21 am Reply with quote

Hi, Ep157ula; welcome to QI.

swot
884610.  Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:16 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
I did. I knew quite a lot of the answers there - don't know where I might've heard them before!

Marcus Brigstock was gloating that he is responsible for the word "gitwizard" and he said it's his proudest achievement that if you google that word, the top answer is Blaine.

Well, on my search for gitwizard at least, the top result was Brigstock's wiki page - which seems to make him hoist by his own petard!

Blaine's wiki page is second, to be fair, and this conversation is fourth.

Page 1 of 1