407977.  Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote

This Beau stuff is getting to the point of deserving its' own thread

Beau No

soup
408058.  Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:51 am Reply with quote

Starfish13 wrote:
, but we keep Bon Scott.

Why would you want Bon Scott he's dead?

Oh Happy (belated) Birthday by the way, my birthday was the 13th too.

nostradamus
408104.  Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:31 am Reply with quote

nostradamus wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:
nostradamus wrote:
He was vegetarian.

Hitler was not a vegetarian - see here.

I thought I'd get BEEPED for that, I can't look at your proof, as my work net, filters it as being bad and naughty.

I stand partially corrected Hitler was not A vegetarian but he was vegetarian from 1931 untill his death in 1945, so really I was wrong in my assumption but correct in my wording.

jakamneziak
408112.  Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:52 am Reply with quote

As far as i understood it Hitler was put on a vegitarian diet because of health problems.

nostradamus
408116.  Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:57 am Reply with quote

that's what the linky said on the QI youtube vid but the wiki article says similar but different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism_of_Adolf_Hitler

Starfish13
408242.  Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote

And happy birthday to you too soup. And to Richard Kiel from the Bond films and the cowboy from the Village People who share our birthday!

nostradamus
408245.  Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:54 am Reply with quote

happy birthday

gerontius grumpus
408426.  Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote

Alfred the Great was the only English monarch to be given the title "the Great". This title for Alfred came into use in Victorian times.

Ian Dunn
466475.  Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:45 am Reply with quote

gruff5 wrote:
The Russian's look like they are going to vote Stalin as #1.

Yes, people (with obvious exception of QIers & Kiwis) really are that stupid.

Well, the votes are in, and Stalin is... third.

First was Alexander Nevsky, who helped protect the united Russia from the Germans, Swedish and Mongols. Second was Pyotr Stolypin, a reformist Prime Minister under Tsar Nicholas II, who was assassinated in 1911.

It is believed that Stalin's role in World War Two is what helped him to do so well.

Story from the BBC
Story covered by QI News

suze
466535.  Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:53 am Reply with quote

Having managed to find it here, here is Russia's top twelve. (I've used ISO spelling rather than Polish spelling on this occasion.)

1. Aleksandr Nevskij
2. Pėtr Arkadevič Stolypin
3. Iosif Vissarionovič Stalin
4. Aleksandr Sergeevič Puškin
5. Pėtr I Alekseevič (Peter the Great)
6. Vladimir Il'ič Lenin
7. Fėdor Mihajlovič Dostoevskij
8. Aleksandr Vasil'evič Suvorov
9. Dmitrij Ivanovič Mendeleev
10. Ivan IV Groznyj (Ivan the Terrible)
11. Ekaterina II Velkaā (Catherine the Great)
12. Aleksandr II Nikolaevič (spit)

An odd selection - it's hard to see what was "good" about quite a few of those. Especially #12, even if he did abolish serfdom in Russia proper.

exnihilo
466603.  Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote

Were people outside Russia allowed to vote? I ask because what is interesting about that list is that everyone on it is well known outside Russia, with the possible exception of Stolypin and Suvorov who are probably only really known to historians.

suze
466877.  Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quote

As far as I can tell, anyone could vote - although to do so they'd have needed to understand Russian, which limits the number of votes cast from (for instance) Britain and the USA.

And one couldn't vote for just anyone - there were fifty candidates from which to choose, presumably selected by the television station which ran the contest. They can be seen here (in Russian). It seems that only dead people were considered - so Boris Nikolaevič El'cin is there, but not (for instance) Mihail Sergeevič Gorbačėv. Catherine the Great is the only woman among the 50, and - slightly to my surprise - there are no chess players.

I knew a little about Stolypin from high school history, but Suvorov was little more than a name to me.

bobwilson
466881.  Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
it's hard to see what was "good" about quite a few of those.

But isn't the poll for "greats" not "goods"? You can talk about the "greatest mass murderer" but you'd hardly describe such a person as "good".

On a similar note - why do reports say "(so and so) is the worst serial killer..." - surely, they mean the best serial killer?

suze
466889.  Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote

By definition, we don't know the name of the world's "best" serial killer because he was never caught.

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next