View previous topic | View next topic

Greats

Page 3 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

gruff5
407186.  Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:02 am Reply with quote

The Russian's look like they are going to vote Stalin as #1.

Yes, people (with obvious exception of QIers & Kiwis) really are that stupid.

Ian Dunn
407191.  Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote

Do you have a source?

gruff5
407321.  Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote

I heard it on R4, he was ahead for a while, but might be pipped by Czar Nicholas. If you put the terms:

vote "greatest Russian" stalin

into google, you a selection of sources to choose from.

gerontius grumpus
407456.  Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote

Was Stalin actually Russian?
I thought he came from Georgia.

bobwilson
407471.  Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:26 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:

Irn-Bru was invented in Glasgow in 1901; no one is taking the credit for that away from Scotland.

Who would want to?

Efros
407473.  Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote

It is the single best cure for a hangover on earth, and also the best accompaniment one can have to a haggis supper.

bobwilson
407474.  Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:45 pm Reply with quote

I've watched this thread and I'm intrigued.

What's meant by "greatest" in this context? Had most impact? Best loved? Most positive?

If you look at the variety of names on any list of greats and figure out why they're there it becomes obvious that everyone has their own definition of what constitutes greatness.

Then, of course, there's the factor of what's current. If you ask the public who's the "greatest" pop singer of all time the top 100 will inevitably be over-represented with people who are currently popular.

With all that in mind here's my list of Greats by country with explanations:

Germany - Adolf Hitler, Hans or Fritz - if asked to name a German person the majority of people would pick one of these three.

India - Ghandi - the limit of most people's knowledge of India

Scotland - probably one of an innumerable list of inventors and/or authors including RLS, Stephenson, Baird, Bell etc

Ireland - Brendan Beehan or Oscar Wilde - the first will be popular with the drunks, the second with the erudite. Possible other choices would be Terry Wogan - for middle class housewives, and Boyzone for pre-pubescent teenagers (of any age).

France - Simone de Beauvoir (for the feminists), Sartre (for those who like to think they're intellectuals), de Gaulle (for the nationalists), Sacha Distel or possibly Gerald Depardieu (for non-french housewives), or Beau Geste (for readers of pulp fiction).

Italy - Garibaldi for nationalists and biscuit lovers; Michaelangelo for pretty well every one else

Serbia - Milosevic - well, can you name any other Serbians? I think Gavrilo Princip would be excluded for obvious reasons.

Switzerland - William Tell - er that's it

Brunei - the Sultan - does anyone else live there?

96aelw
407480.  Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Beau Geste (for readers of pulp fiction)

Only for exceptionally inattentive readers of that particular piece of fiction; Beau Geste was an Englishman, with an upper lip so stiff you could iron your shirt on it.

bobwilson
407482.  Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quote

I didn't say he was french - I said he'd be named as a great frenchman - as would Poirot if it weren't for the TV series.

96aelw
407489.  Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:27 pm Reply with quote

Well indeed, but I would respectfully contend that anybody who had heard of him would know he was English, and thus anybody who might name him as a Frenchman would, in fact, be unable to name him at all.

bobwilson
407492.  Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote

You have too much faith 96 - I have met the public and it is far, far stupider than you can imagine. Unfortunately, it is also the repository of the regurgitated remnants of knowledge.

Remember, the sort of people who take these polls would, if asked for the names of frenchmen with a first name of Beau, proffer (in no particular order)

Beau Bridges
Beau Geste
Beau Brummel
Beau Bells
Beau Jollay
Beau Thai
Beau Tingsong

nitwit02
407497.  Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote

Bo-Peep?

jakamneziak
407509.  Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote

beau peep, the little cartoon strip that used to appear in the daily mail if memory serves me rightly about the british legion in the desert.

mckeonj
407568.  Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:26 am Reply with quote

Beauregarde, Beaulieu.

jaygeemack
407576.  Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:38 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
a neutral would consider her at least as French as Polish.
A French Polisher?

Page 3 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next