View previous topic | View next topic

Genius

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Ian Dunn
531719.  Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:50 am Reply with quote

Has anyone been watching this on TV. I've been a big fan of this and the original radio series hosted by Dave Gorman. However, I always feel that some ideas should have won when others did not.

I was keen on the science of opposites idea that was on last week, and on the radio series as well. In fact, the people behind the idea have created their own website devoted to it. I also liked yesterday's winning idea of making the Isle of Wight symmetric.

IronMonkey
531760.  Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:41 am Reply with quote

Someone said to me the TV proggramme was good and i want to watch it. Channel? Day? Time?

Ian Dunn
531762.  Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:54 am Reply with quote

BBC Two, 10pm on Fridays. It is not on this week however because of the golf.

All the episodes are currently on the iPlayer.

IronMonkey
531766.  Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:14 am Reply with quote

watching it now. Thanks

Mort
532423.  Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote

I love things that are cheerful and uncynical, especially with regards to the 'general public', and Dave Gorman is the epitomy of cheerful uncynicism.

The programme was received badly by critics, like
Caitlin Moran from The Times wrote:

The BBC amazes me. It takes four years for Stewart Lee - a comedian with 17 years' experience - to get a six-part series; yet in Genius wholly inexperienced members of the public are expected to deliver five minutes of broadcast-quality improvised material at the drop of a hat. What, literally, is that all about?"

But amazingly enough, they do deliver five minutes of great (somewhat) unscripted material and they are genuinely funny and charming, like that hood-on-coat-arm guy. He was brilliant.
There was that shoe-stealing taxi driver that was borderline insane, but as long as they filter out the crazies that just want a soap box for venting grievances, I think this promises to be great light-hearted entertainment.

It's showing that 'normal' people can be funnier and wittier than 'professional' comedians (funnier and wittier than the wholly irrelevant Jo Brand at least).

Ian Dunn
532425.  Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote

Mort wrote:
But amazingly enough, they do deliver five minutes of great (somewhat) unscripted material and they are genuinely funny and charming, like that hood-on-coat-arm guy. He was brilliant.

Interestingly, the man who invented that coat was a journalist from The Sun.

Neotenic
532426.  Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote

Quote:
It's showing that 'normal' people can be funnier and wittier than 'professional' comedians

I think one would have to be present at a recording, or at least privy to the unedited footage, to draw any conclusions in this respect.

I wonder how many 'normals' they parade out in front of Dave & Guest at each recording to be able to pare it down to four good ones.

But having said all that, the net result is quite good fun. Last Friday's was the best yet, but I do think the overall quality of any show is rather dependent on the quality of the main guest.

Stewart Lee's show, incidentally, is genius.

Ian Dunn
532427.  Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote

And incidentally, Stewart Lee is a guest in a later episode of Genius. He was also a guest in the radio version.

bobwilson
532604.  Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote

Caitlin Moran from The Times wrote:
The BBC amazes me. It takes four years for Stewart Lee - a comedian with 17 years' experience - to get a six-part series; yet in Genius wholly inexperienced members of the public are expected to deliver five minutes of broadcast-quality improvised material at the drop of a hat. What, literally, is that all about?"

Well, I don't know which "Stewart Lee" Caitlin Moran has been watching but it clearly wasn't the one I watched. It wasn't funny - perhaps the BBC should have waited another 4 years until he'd actually managed to get something worth broadcasting together.

PS
Quote:
What, literally, is that all about?

Is that, literally, the most gratuitous and fatuous use of the word literally to appear in print ever?

samivel
532647.  Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:18 pm Reply with quote

It was, until you wrote your last sentence.

legspin
532651.  Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote

<snigger>

bobwilson
532655.  Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote

samivel wrote:
It was, until you wrote your last sentence.

ah - but - mine was knowingly sarcastic - and unlike Caitlin Moron, I don't get paid for being a twat.

Neotenic
532666.  Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote

I think Caitlin writes very well.

Quote:
And incidentally, Stewart Lee is a guest in a later episode of Genius. He was also a guest in the radio version.

That, sir, is very good news indeed.

bobwilson
532668.  Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:48 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I think Caitlin writes very well.

Pray do provide examples - preferrably not ones which include examples of stupidity such as "What, literally, is that all about?"

djgordy
532740.  Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:55 am Reply with quote

I would have to agree with Mr. bobwilson that Mr. Lee's "current series has been awful. There was about 10 minutes good material stretched out into a 30 minute slot. As a "comedy vehicle" it would have failed its M.O.T. and been sent to the scrap yard.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next