View previous topic | View next topic

Gas

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

bobwilson
538397.  Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:37 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
Or that unintelligible means most of bob's posts.

Crap - maybe. Gratuitous and childish - possibly. But unintelligible - I don't think so Mike.

Theblazeuk
538424.  Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:43 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Gosh! We're all a bit human-centric around here... next you'll be saying invisible means not visible to humans...

:P

bobwilson
538443.  Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
Gosh! We're all a bit human-centric around here... next you'll be saying invisible means not visible to humans...

we already do say "inaudible to humans" - why not "odourless to humans"? Odourless on its own seems to indicate absolutely odourless. Can dogs smell nicotine?

Theblazeuk
538471.  Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:12 am Reply with quote

Probably!
I suppose its always been easier to work out that an animal is hearing something rather than smelling something (and of more use).

Davini994
538580.  Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:51 am Reply with quote

AFAIC we use inaudible and odourless to implicitly mean to humans, i.e. both the same way. We explicitly state to humans when required; maybe this just comes about a bit more with audible.

Droid
539169.  Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:38 am Reply with quote

Nicotine. Colourless to pale yellow oily liquid; very hygroscopic; turns brown on exposure to air or light. Acrid burning taste. Develops odour of pyridine.

From the Merck Index.

Presumably the chemical is unstable in the air and the developing odour is due to oxidation releasing pyridine, but not really undetectable by smelling.

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3