View previous topic | View next topic

The Game

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Ameena
392499.  Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote

Lol Amie...won't avoiding the G Series thread mean you'll have to think "Ooh, I mustn't go into that section of the forum" every time, and therefore have to think "I remember I mustn't go in there because...ohh bollocks!"? So it probably wouldn't make much difference, would it? ;)

smokie
392528.  Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote

I've lost the NIGEL game already.

Mr Grue
392759.  Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote

I had to stop playing. There was a poster I used to walk past on my way to work that always used to remind me of the game (I forget what it was, but let's say for the sake of argument it was an advert for Lost). I was reaching a stage where I would recall there was something I was not supposed to think about as I approached the poster, and would then find myself in a very troubling state of simultaneously being aware and unaware of what it was I was not to think about. This always always resolved itself into me losing the game, but the cognitive dissonance wasn't enjoyable, so I stopped playing. You can stop playing, you know.

Davini994
392772.  Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote

Congratulations Mr Grue.

Amie
392792.  Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Lol Amie...won't avoiding the G Series thread mean you'll have to think "Ooh, I mustn't go into that section of the forum" every time, and therefore have to think "I remember I mustn't go in there because...ohh bollocks!"? So it probably wouldn't make much difference, would it? ;)

I forget not to look at the G series thread, so then just end up seeing the 'The Game' thread! Hopefully when this topic disappears off the front page it'll get easier!

So, again, I lost the Game. Damn.

maiden
392794.  Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:46 am Reply with quote

The Game

mckeonj
392810.  Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:39 am Reply with quote

I suspect that George Orwell knew about TG when he invented 'doublethink' in his novel 1984.
Quote:
"To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic, to repudiate morality while laying claim to it, to believe that democracy was impossible and that the Party was the guardian of democracy, to forget whatever it was necessary to forget, then to draw it back into memory again at the moment when it was needed, and then promptly to forget it again: and above all, to apply the same process to the process itself. That was the ultimate subtlety: consciously to induce unconsciousness, and then, once again, to become unconscious of the act of hypnosis you had just performed. Even to understand the word 'doublethink' involved the use of doublethink."

This, to me, suggests a possibly successful strategy for winning.

Fifi
401465.  Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:06 am Reply with quote

I went to university having just learnt of "the game" that summer.

I then met 1 other person who also knew it, we lost and starting talking about it. We then told our group of friends, who told others. we then put up some posters explaining the rules so that people ended up playing it whether they wanted to or not.

There was a communial eating area and I remember a few occasions of someone shouting "the game" or "I just lost" and about 80 people groaning/shouting/swearing together. hilarious, also very very infuriating!!

I lost the game by finding this thread so I don't have any guilt about posting this here and moving this thread back to the front page!! :-)

Arcane
401495.  Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:10 am Reply with quote

And I lost the game by clicking on it to see who posted about possibly losing the game. D'oh.

Amie
401546.  Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote

And I lost for the same reason as reddy, damn!

mikeyfone
401549.  Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote

And I was doing so well! I could have gone Pro.

CaptTimmy
401604.  Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote

I never heard of the game before, but I'm doing terribly already.

mckeonj
401613.  Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote

Curses, foiled again!!

CaptTimmy
401616.  Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote

Damn....I see a new message and check, in hopes that maybe it was something about Georgia or something, but nooooooo. I'll never win, which means I will always lose.

At least I've got the basic premise of the game down.

I'll have to introduce it to my friends (thus causing me to lose, yet again) and introduce them to my and soon their perpetual losing.

QiScorpion
401691.  Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote

i've heard lots about this Game and it does seem rather pointless because as soon as someone thinks about it, they lose.

thus, passing it on means both the passer and receiver lose.

which means everyone in turn (assuming the game spreads) loses.

thus whoever came up with the idea for "the Game" has some serious insecurities about losing.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next