Goto page Previous  1, 2

CB27
391974.  Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:17 am Reply with quote

I say, my gnome has no gnus.

Really, how does he smell?

Like pottery. Idjut!

gerontius grumpus
393214.  Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:18 pm Reply with quote

Tolkien seems to have associated the word gnome with a root of words to do with wisdom (Know, gnomon etc.).
He used 'gnomes' in place of 'Noldor', the wise elves, in his early writings.

RLDavies
393754.  Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:17 am Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
Tolkien seems to have associated the word gnome with a root of words to do with wisdom (Know, gnomon etc.).
He used 'gnomes' in place of 'Noldor', the wise elves, in his early writings.

The word is sometimes misidentified as being derived from gnosis ("knowledge"). Tolkein was a master of language and I'm sure he enjoyed playing on gno- and its associations.

Gnomes often feature in fantasy games and books as a race closely related to dwarves, but with a jollier outlook and usually some special affinity for either technology or magic, depending on the fantasy world. This concept of gnomes stems directly from the game Dungeons and Dragons.

gerontius grumpus
394968.  Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote

Don't you think some of the manifestations of this concept might pre-date
the game 0of dungeons and dragons?

RLDavies
395119.  Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:35 am Reply with quote

The idea of gnomes being earth-dwellers, and of being similar to dwarves, is ancient -- see my earlier post on Paracelsus' definition of gnomes as earth elementals.

The idea of them being inventive tinkerers with a flair for technology (or magic invention, depending on the setting) is only as old as D&D, whose founders wanted to develop a clear distinction between dwarf and gnome character races.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2