View previous topic | View next topic

Generals

Page 1 of 1

Ian Dunn
392934.  Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quote

The greatest general in British comedy is either General Melchett from Blackadder Goes Forth, as we all know (and love), or our very own "General Ignorance".

The title for the greatest general in American comedy would probably go to real-life Generalissimo Francisco Franco, who in the words of Saturday Night Live, "is still dead".

"Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead" was probably the first catchphrase from SNL to make it into the American lexicon. It started from the show's first season, during which Franco was suffering from ill health. Sometimes, on slow news days, reporters would say that Franco was still alive. Franco's death was also covered deeply after he passed away.

Afterwards, Chevy Chase insisted that the show got as many laughs from Franco's expense, using the catchphrase and other versions of it.

The catchphrase is still used in America in relation to similar stories about people who are still alive or have died after a long period of waiting, such as Pope John Paul II.

Wikipedia article about "Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead"

djgordy
392963.  Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:37 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:
The greatest general in British comedy is either General Melchett from Blackadder Goes Forth, as we all know (and love), or our very own "General Ignorance".

Nah, it's General von Klinkerhoffen from 'Allo 'Allo.

Efros
393014.  Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:45 am Reply with quote

American, I would suggest Leon Askin - General Albert Burkhalter from Hogan's Heroes. Who I believe was Austrian.

soup
393018.  Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:51 am Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
American, I would suggest Leon Askin - General Albert Burkhalter from Hogan's Heroes. Who I believe was Austrian.

Hah! You obviously know nuffink.

Page 1 of 1