View previous topic | View next topic

kundera dvoracek no surprise there then

Page 1 of 1

blueshearer
423889.  Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote

the much admired pulp fiction scribe kundera has finally been exposed as a right wing supporter of torture for illegal immigrants, whatever next the much maligned jackie collins may turn out to actually have been born a man

djgordy
423903.  Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:34 pm Reply with quote

Are we suddenly going to believe things that are found in the files of the secret police from a totalitarian state? I thought Mr. Kundera denied any involvement.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7668484.stm

Timon
423909.  Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote

Is Jackie Collins a woman? I had always thought of"Jackie" as a boys name. Is Jackie Charlton a woman? I'm confused.

Davini994
423910.  Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:48 pm Reply with quote

Not sure where the right wing thing comes in at all anyway.

Izzardesque
423920.  Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote

Even if he did do it, I don't think we can blame him. Just because he did something over 50 years ago doesn't make him a supporter of torture now.

He, living in a totalitarian state, reported something he thought suspicious. Hardly anything unusual about that.

djgordy
423998.  Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote

Even if he did the thing which he is accused of, it does seem as absurd as criticising the Pope for being in the Hitler Youth.

Timon
424036.  Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:04 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Even if he did the thing which he is accused of, it does seem as absurd as criticising the Pope for being in the Hitler Youth.

I could not agree more Gordy. Why criticize the pope for what he did in his youth. Any youngster would struggle to resist systematic coercion to join the Nazis, even if they killed millions over a couple of decades.
Rather criticize an old and experienced man for heading up an organization that has been responsible for countless deaths for a millennium or more.

Neotenic
424104.  Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:06 am Reply with quote

Quote:
kundera has finally been exposed as a right wing supporter of torture for illegal immigrants

Yes. Because 'right wing' is a synonym for 'communist', isn't it? And 'illegal immigrant' is a serviceable replacement phrase for 'suspected spy' as well.

Personally, I think it's probably time you bought a new thesaurus.

As far as I can see, the worst he could be accused of is calling the 1950's Czech equivalent of Crimestoppers. It's not as if it was he that was clamping on the leg irons, or whatever.

npower1
424152.  Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:03 am Reply with quote

I'm admitting to my lack of culture. I've never heard of this guy. Has he written anything worth reading or just won some prizes (the two don't usually go together)?

Neotenic
424155.  Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:07 am Reply with quote

I've read The Unbearable Lightness of Being. From what I can remember (I'm useless at recalling plots) the title was better than the book.

Ion Zone
428088.  Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:10 am Reply with quote

He was in the Hitler Youth? Being brought up in a Nazi country isn't exactly a sin, and the Hitler Youth was hardly fun and games from what I heard, quite a few didn't survive the training.

Neotenic
428115.  Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:49 am Reply with quote

Herr Ratzinger indeed joined the Hitler Youth when he was 14.

However, two years previously membership had been made pretty much mandatory for all young Germans (building on laws from a couple of years previous to that), so no more damning than a requirement to pay Income Tax.

Nigelblt
428137.  Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:25 am Reply with quote

I've read "The Unbearable Lightness of Being in Aberyswyth", I'm sure it's much the same :-)

Page 1 of 1