View previous topic | View next topic

Lights out at the Eiffel Tower - energy saving?

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

blueshearer
424457.  Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote

Ive just read with interest on the internet news that France is trying to save energy by switching off the lights on the Eiffel Tower. If this is part of that countries Health and Well Being agenda Im afraid it just doesnt go far enough as the energy saved by not having to press a light switch on and off is minimal. The person who has that responsibility with the support of the French Government will have to consider a more rigorous approach to energy saving if he or she is to conserve their energy in a more meaningful way and get healthy perhaps by being donated some free relaxation tapes to listen to in the evenings - or am I missing the point?

Timon
424501.  Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote

http://www.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUSTRE49G52H20081017

It seems from this article that French view this as a largely symbolic gesture - in actual fact the lights use very little electricity anyway. Of course the French are experts on symbolic gestures - like putting their hands up or waving a white flag.
More seriously, perhaps they would be better off spending their time addressing the real issue of global warming than dreaming up publicity stunts.

npower1
424502.  Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote

Yes, you have missed the point. Avoiding using energy is not possible. Whatever you do, lighting your living room, keeping your PC or disposing of it, eating only veg or including meat, even comparing your 6 'energy saving' light bulbs to the 101 stores down the high street keeping their goods well lit takes energy.

If we wish our modern world to endure we should not be looking at ways to reduce our use of energy. We should be looking for ways to produce usable energy that doesn't reduce our environment to a state that doesn't support us, the human animal.

Since we are 'intelligent' we have the possibility to achieve this. Such optimism! Its possible, I'm an economist we fail; I'm a politician will I get elected again; I'm a big company boss/banker - my future's OK who gives a sh*t overall.

Did I just say some thing about being intelligent?

Ion Zone
424890.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:04 am Reply with quote

Turning off the Eiffel tower is silly. Giving out posters of electrical items with the off switch clearly circled to businesses and colleges might make more of a difference. They really turn off even a single light. The computers run all day and night.

It's pure laziness.

Davini994
424967.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote

Reducing the energy we use and finding cleaner ways to make what we need are not necessarily mutually exclusive aims.

After all, if we don't need to make so much clean energy then the job is easier.

And turning the lights off at the Eiffel Tower; it's a symbolic gesture more than anything, I'm sure. After all, it's got us lot talking about it, n'est pas?

Ion Zone
425057.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote

I supose...but what if somone walks into it?

;)

Davini994
425122.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote

:)

bobwilson
425126.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote

Davini994 wrote:
And turning the lights off at the Eiffel Tower; it's a symbolic gesture more than anything, I'm sure. After all, it's got us lot talking about it, n'est pas?

Yes - but how much energy are we using in talking about it?

Davini994
425130.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote

Meh.

Arcane
425187.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote

Get them carrier pigeons loaded up Dave!

Arcane
425198.  Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote

I think we really have to resist the tendency to say "Oh a few lightbulbs turned off here won't make any difference because over there is someone using something/having their lights on". Any effort is better than no effort at all. Hopefully, everyone who does something small will lead to it catching on. What the heck? Do it anyway.

But governments really need to start doing something about encouraging the use of other energy sources. In Australia, solar power would be a natural suggestion, but it's out of the price range of most people. Hybrid cars are a great idea, but my understanding of them is this (feel free to correct) - while they use less fuel, aren't they also partly powered by electricity, which in turn uses up fossil fuels down the line? I think the bio-fuels/renewable resource fuels really need to be worked on more.

I still love the idea of chip shop oil powered cars. Can you imagine the smell? No more horrid fuel smells.... but the sale of hot chips would probably explode overnight (Pavlovian influence). Yum.

cabs
425270.  Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:10 am Reply with quote

Could we not just switch France off for the winter? At least until the ski season.

crissdee
425390.  Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:33 am Reply with quote

reddygirl wrote:
Hybrid cars are a great idea,

In my experience (I have one as a company car) they are a load of smelly pants!!!

cabs
425395.  Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:38 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
reddygirl wrote:

In my experience (I have one as a company car) they are a load of smelly pants!!!

I rented one once and I was fascinated by the little display showing you what was driving what and where the power was coming from. I found myself paying too little attention to the road and too much to trying to work out exactly at what speeds and in what gears it would flip over from leccy to petrol and vv.

Arcane
425401.  Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:43 am Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
reddygirl wrote:

Perhaps car detailing may be in order.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next