View previous topic | View next topic

Graduation (and other aspects of education)

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ian Dunn
390120.  Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote

It is often said that topics such as Media Studies are nothing but "Mickey Mouse degrees" that won't get students far in work, and people take them because the subjects are easy

However, such arguments are not new. As far back as 1828, the University College London was attacked for creating a new course in English Literature.

Wikipedia article

Last edited by Ian Dunn on Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:48 am; edited 2 times in total

dr.bob
390128.  Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:34 am Reply with quote

Quite right too!

Reading books all day? That's not a real subject, is it?!

suze
390129.  Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote

And looking through telescopes is ...?

samivel
390130.  Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote

Looking through telescopes during the day is rubbish.

markvent
390134.  Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:43 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:

I am owed a new keyboard! .. mine just got soaked in coffee ... lol! :)

Mark.

markvent
390135.  Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:44 am Reply with quote

samivel wrote:
Looking through telescopes during the day is rubbish.

Only if you are looking at the stars (or attempting to) .. may I suggest the left upstairs window of number 75 ... :D

Mark.

dr.bob
390143.  Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:56 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:

Jolly useful, I'll have you know! :)

djgordy
390150.  Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:27 am Reply with quote

Ian Dunn wrote:

However, such arguemets are not knew. As far back as 1828, the University College London was attacked for creating a new course in English Literature.

Speaking about falling standards in education....

markvent
390163.  Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:18 am Reply with quote

having said that ... I do remember a friend doing his GCSE in "Leisure Studies" which seemed to involve writing essays about why playing darts was enjoyable ...

and I got stuck with Moles, Empirical Moles and Bugs ...

Mark.

Ian Dunn
390174.  Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:50 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Ian Dunn wrote:

However, such arguemets are not knew. As far back as 1828, the University College London was attacked for creating a new course in English Literature.

Speaking about falling standards in education....

Thanks for that.

I think the main problem with such degrees is getting jobs related to them. I've just got a media studies degree myself, and there are no media related jobs in my area (Teesside), despite the fact there are several local newspapers and radio stations.

Bondee
390176.  Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote

Southampton University used to do a degree in punk rock.

Presumably to pass you had to spend all of your student loan on cheap beer and speed, get arrested, throw up on the lecturers shoes and tell the dean to fuck off.

suze
390213.  Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:
Presumably to pass you had to spend all of your student loan on cheap beer and speed, get arrested, throw up on the lecturer's shoes and tell the dean to fuck off.

I didn't attend the University of Southampton and I do not have a degree in punk rock.

What's more, speed was never my controlled substance of choice.

Otherwise ...

djgordy
390224.  Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote

I doubt that they had a degree in punk rock. More than likely they had a degree in sociology or some such in which the punk rock movement was featured. The era was interesting from a socio/economic point of view as well as from a musical point of view.

I have an MSc from the Imperial College of Science and Technology and my dissertation was on the music business but I wouldn't say that I did a masters in pop music, although there is no reason why anyone shouldn't.

simonp
390234.  Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:38 pm Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:
tell the dean to fuck off.

Suze, was this how you left your lecturing job? :-)

suze
390261.  Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote

Lol, it was not.

But in my student days I was a feisty young sort, and did once tell a professor to do that thing. Another lecturer who overheard was of the opinion that the professor had to some extent asked for it, and after apologies on both sides the matter went no further.

I didn't actually throw up on a lecturer's shoes though, but only because he wasn't wearing any at the time. This was on a field trip in northern British Columbia - something I'd eaten disagreed with me rather violently, and I fear that my upchuckage impinged itself on the poor guy's stockinged feet.

On the more general point, I'd agree with djg - punk rock could be an entirely valid subject for a dissertation in a number of subjects. One of husband's cricketing friends is currently working on a Master's degree whose subject area is essentially mathematical, and his dissertation is on "an approach to field placement in the 20/20 game". Does that mean the guy will get a degree in cricket?

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next