View previous topic | View next topic

Geoffrey of Monmouth

Page 1 of 1

gerontius grumpus
503444.  Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote

Geoffrey of Monmouth wrote a history of the kings of Britain, a work of fiction passed off as history. He must have been one of the biggest liars of all time, after the creationists and holocaust denyers.

djgordy
503504.  Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote

Why are creationist and holocaust denyers liars? If they truly believe the things they say then they are not lairs, even if those things are not true.

gerontius grumpus
503628.  Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:47 pm Reply with quote

Oh I hadn't considered the possibility that they actually believe these things.
I suppose you're right.

QiScorpion
505866.  Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:38 am Reply with quote

Didn't Geoffrey have his head cut off, only for people to realise he hadn't had his portrait painted, so they stuck it back on, painted a protrait and then buried him?

Or am I thinking of someone else?

djgordy
505875.  Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:56 am Reply with quote

Supposedly it was Charles I who had his head sewn back on because they realised they hadn't got a portrait of him.

Sewing the heads back onto the bodies of decapitated people was rare but not unknown in Tudor and Stuart times and was probably done in deference to the status of the person rather than to make a portrait. Charles I certainly had many portraits done in his life and the idea that he had to have his head sewn back on because one did not exist seems rather absurd.

However:

Quote:
James Scott, duke of Monmouth and illegitimate son of Charles II, had his head sewn back on. This was apparently because they realised that this important person had not had a portrait done, and so an artist was called to paint the dead aristocrat.

http://tudorhistory.org/queryblog/2008/07/question-from-elizabeth-m-heads-sewn.html

I don't know if that was true, but if it is then possibly the story was known and in later years people mistakenly thought it referred to Charles I.

Celebaelin
507344.  Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:23 am Reply with quote

Eerily the portrait of Monmouth here looks as if the head was painted seperately from the body.

but the Encyclopaedia Britannica website has an image described as 'after W. Wissing c. 1683', which is 2 years before his execution.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic-art/389635/13049/Duke-of-Monmouth-oil-painting-after-W-Wissing-1683-in

djgordy
507423.  Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
Eerily the portrait of Monmouth here looks as if the head was painted seperately from the body.

It was done using Ye Olde Photoshoppe.

Page 1 of 1