View previous topic | View next topic

Latin Vocab

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Flash
6709.  Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:16 am Reply with quote

"Marmozet"? Who are you calling "marmozet"?

But I've been reflecting on this overnight, and I think it might not work as Gen Ig because, come to think of it, anyone who uses this expression at all does in fact say "bend sinister", and I'm not sure I'd ever heard the term "bar sinister" before last night (although it felt as though I had).

Who else still thinks of Roger Moore as Ivanhoe?

Jenny
6713.  Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:11 am Reply with quote

I do. And as The Saint.

Frederick The Monk
6716.  Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:49 am Reply with quote

For me Ivanhoe will always be the marvelous King Baggot in the 1913 film version.

Frederick The Monk
6717.  Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:50 am Reply with quote

That's the first version of Ivanhoe from 1913, not the one starring Lauderdale Maitland as Ivanhoe.

Flash
6718.  Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:56 pm Reply with quote

It's quite interesting, to coin a phrase, how quickly the film business got into the remake game. I read somewhere that the second-ever publicly-exhibited film was a remake of the first-ever.

Here's a film which is ripe for a remake, IMHO. I found this while looking for Bridget Jones's Diary on IMDb:

Quote:
How Bridget Served the Salad Undressed (1898)

Plot Outline: The serving girl is asked to serve the salad 'undressed' so she takes her clothes off before entering the dining room.

Also Known As:
No Salad Dressing Wanted (1898) (USA) (short title)

Great that it was felt necessary to sanitise the title for the US market in such a way that the joke completely evaporated. Not a mistake we'll be making with the QI remake, I'm sure.

Frederick The Monk
6721.  Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:17 am Reply with quote

I wonder if the 1902 comedy short 'Serving Potatoes, Undressed' was a remake?

Menocchio
6722.  Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:42 am Reply with quote

Who starred in that interminable BBC series of the early 70s? Gloomy Sunday afternoons were never the same once it stopped.

Agree with Flash about 'Bend Sinister' and Gen Ig. Although the idea of 'Bar Sinister' has definite potential. (You don't have to be a bastard to drink here but it helps.)

Never read the Nabokov novel called Bend Sinister, but I'm sure I know someone who has...

Flash
6723.  Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:06 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder if the 1902 comedy short 'Serving Potatoes, Undressed' was a remake?

Bound to have been. They knew a really first-rate idea when they saw one in those days. They would have discovered a new cinematographic breakthrough (the close-up, probably) and thought "Very clever, but what on earth can we do with it? People will never stand for the camera jumping in and out from close-up to wide and back again - that's just not how people see. What would anybody want to see close up? Hmmm ... I know, by Jove - we'll remake Bridget, only with potatoes instead of salad! It'll be huge! We can use that new girl from the Gaieties, Sally Dressing! What an angle! Wide release (both the cinemas in America simultaneously ) - how crazy is that? Then into the ancillary markets a month later - we'll have it in "what the butler saw" machines all over the country before the pirates know what hit them!"

That's my guess as to how it would have gone, anyway.

Frederick The Monk
6724.  Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:55 am Reply with quote

Perhaps we should back-project it in a loop at Bar Sinister?

Jenny
6725.  Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:24 am Reply with quote

Does it strike anybody that this is a good scenario for the 'club room' at the QI building?

Frances
6726.  Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:16 pm Reply with quote

I'm more interested in the clientele at this 'Bar Sinister'. Shady ladies, shadier spivs, spies, cut-throats, desperados of all sorts - you remember the list in 'Cat Ballou'? Does QI really want to get involved with such low-lives? [Don't all shout at once...]

Jenny
6729.  Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:54 pm Reply with quote

<pulls shady veil over her face>

<points at Flash as obvious example of desperado>

<is not quite sure whether Commander qualifies as cut-throat>

<finds Frances' travels an obvious cover-story for a spy>

And I'm sure we can find a spiv or two somewhere...

Frederick The Monk
6768.  Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:03 pm Reply with quote

Going back to the issue of 'sinister' and when it took on extra, nasty meaning. Steph my wife, who knows about such things, says that although French and Spanish are both Romance languages and hence ultimately derived from Latin, both from their early pre-tenth century days chose a non-Latin word for 'left'. This of course implies that in the very earliest formulations of these languages sinister already had the other meaning which they were keen not to associate with 'left'. So that begs the question when did sinister become, well, sinister?

BobTheScientist
7671.  Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:23 am Reply with quote

I mind (well, still cringe at) the dreadful when-I-was-10 days of being expected to prepare a translation for a block of latin for school. Teacher would ask at random for each sentence to be translated. I, having failed again on the forward planning front, would attempt my chunk from first principles by trying to find words similar to english in the sentence. Cognitive dissonance (http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion/ny-vpcoo203859311jun20,0,4497789.story?coll=ny-viewpoints-headlines)
would occur as my brain peddled furiously and random nonsense would exit my mouth. ANNyway, we have recently been joined by a French woman in the lab, so we get a sample of e-mail forwards in French. I thought the following was funny, but it may well have a had-to-have-been-there feeling to you. I share it nevertheless....
Quote:

Nora said:
>First Lesson of french for all of you !!....
>This is your first home work...translate it and send it back to me, I'll note it
>on 20. Your classification will be put on the board for every one to see :)

I was very good at languages in school, so I'll translate for the rest:

> > Un homme décède et va au paradis. Il arrive dans le bureau de
A man decides to go to Martinique (a tropical paradise). He goes to the tourist office
> > St-Pierre, et remarque que les murs sont ornés d'une multitude
in St Pierre and remarks that his hotel has mice with multitudes of
> > d'horloges, intrigué il lui demande "dites-moi, à quoi servent ces
Spots. Worried, he asks “ tell me what is the meaning of
> > horloges accrochées contre vos murs?" Et le saint homme de lui
Spots on the mice?”. A holy man replies to him.
> > répondre : "ce sont les horloges du mensonge, lorsqu'une personne dit
Those are the spots of the plague. If a person gets one of those
> > un mensonge, son horloge personnelle avance d'une heure. Voici
Spots he knows his hour has come. See
> > par exemple celle de mère Teresa, elle est bloquée sur midi, donc elle
For example, my mother Theresa, she is covered on her tum and
> > n'a jamais dit de mensonge. Voici celle de Martin Luther King,elle marque
certainly has the plague. Hear the Cello of MLK. She listened for
> > deux heures, donc il a prononcé deux mensonges dans sa vie."
Two hours before being pronounced dead with plague-sores all over her.
> > L'homme observe les différentes horloges et demande: Je ne vois pas celle du
The man has seen different spots on himself and says “ I will play that Cello out in
> > président Bush?". St-Pierre répond "Elle se trouve dans le bureau de Jésus,
the surrounding bush”. So Pierre replies “ Either that or pray to Jesus
> > il l'utilise comme ventilateur !"
or you’ll find yourself on a ventilator.

18/20 ? Pretty strange sense of humour the French have; laughing at folk dying in the third world because they don’t have an adequately resourced health service

Jenny
7686.  Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:06 pm Reply with quote

That reminds me of someone I knew who was asked in class to translate a passage about a girl who had 'un bague de plombe sur la doigt'. This was duly translated as her having a bag of plums on her finger, at which the teacher was deeply unimpressed. Her revision tactics were obviously much like yours Bob!

Good joke :-)

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3