View previous topic | View next topic

Glasgow

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

maiden
388064.  Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:44 am Reply with quote

Since it's the third largest city in Britain, and has a few interesting factoids, it deserves a thread .....

Glasgow

St Kentigern in the 6th century settled in Glasgow (or Glas Cu, generally construed as “dear green place”) in 543AD following exile from Culross where his miracle powers had aroused jealousy among his monastic brothers.
In Glasgow, he established his Christian church on the banks of the Molendinar Burn, a tributary of the Clyde, where Glasgow Cathedral now stands. Such was his great popularity among his ecclesiastical community he was named Mungo meaning “dear one”.

Last edited by maiden on Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total

soup
388116.  Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:03 am Reply with quote

Glasgow: the "dear green place" Hahahahahahaha (cough;wheeze:splutter)

♫There's nothing the matter wae Glescae
that an atom bomb couldn't sort

Can you tell I am from the East coast?

mckeonj
388135.  Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:34 am Reply with quote

I was in Glasgow in 1940, haven't been since. Has it changed much?

Tas
388136.  Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:36 am Reply with quote

Well, I imagine bits of it have been rebuilt.

:-)

Tas

maiden
388144.  Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:47 am Reply with quote

soup wrote:
Glasgow: the "dear green place" Hahahahahahaha (cough;wheeze:splutter)

♫There's nothing the matter wae Glescae
that an atom bomb couldn't sort

Can you tell I am from the East coast?

Yeah, I did laugh out loud at that bit too soup .... (The dear green place)

I don't know much about Glasgow either, as I am also from the East Coast soup, but I did think it needed representing in the 'G' series, as there are few interesting snippets relating to the city and it's people (as I found out from trawling through many web sites this morning).

:)

mckeonj
388148.  Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:49 am Reply with quote

Rab C. Nesbit

maiden
388186.  Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:46 am Reply with quote

This site has loads of information about Glasgow. Including famous people, history, events, news, etc, etc .....

:)

error_no_738
388194.  Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:57 am Reply with quote

And because a picture is worth a thousad words....

http://www.dwrobertson-photography.com/GlasgowSmiles.html

Bondee
389058.  Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote

The Buckie drinking neds in the cemeteries...

edit: to show one of the better views from the Necropolis...

... the aforementioned (by maiden) St Mungo's Cathedral.

Last edited by Bondee on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

tetsabb
389201.  Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quote

Home, of course, to the Glasgow Coma Scale, used the world over to evaluate how badly you have been hit on the head.
After his brush with death, IIRC, Richard Hammond had a GCS of 3, the lowest possible

http://www.neuroskills.com/glasgow.shtml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/casenotes_tr_20070206.shtml

Ian Dunn
392195.  Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:36 am Reply with quote

In the West End of Glasgow is Jordanhill Railway Station. It is notable for having a unique achievement to it. Jordanhill Railway Station is the subject of the 1,000,000th article on Wikipedia (see talk page).

Just Say No To Vorderman
393888.  Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quote

used to be home to britains three biggest football stadiums at one time

and i believe something like 80% of the Buckfast produced is consumed in the Glasgow area

maiden
395276.  Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:44 am Reply with quote

Just got sent this through from a work colleague, seen in a Glasgow shop door, but even if it is a 'doctored' photo, it still made I laugh.

Efros
395306.  Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:32 am Reply with quote

Glasgow is a really great place to live. It is also one of the best places in the world to get drunk. Contrary to popular belief Glaswegians are the friendliest city dwellers in the whole of the UK.

Like any other city it has its problems, a lot of which are related to employment or lack thereof, but the legendary past of Glasgow has been somewhat of a encumbrance the city can do without.

Rab C is alive and well and living in various parts of the city, but then most cities have Rab C's the only difference is the accent and the chosen poison.

I believe the Coatbridge area is the largest consumer of Buckfast, Greenock's is El Dorado, Glasgow's is most commonly Tennent's Super Lager. At least that's what all the Jakies in George Square used to drink.

Bondee
395539.  Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote

That pic's brilliant maiden. I can hear it being screamed across the street in a weegie accent.

Despite my "tekking tha pish" I love the city! It's my third home! I'm planning another visit later this year.

Any place that gave the world The Mono (best veggie burger I have ever tasted) has got to have something going for it!

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next