View previous topic | View next topic

The Golden Dawn

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

RLDavies
389380.  Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:32 am Reply with quote

samivel wrote:
RLDavies wrote:
They were the first ones to bring together previously disparate practices such as astrology, numerology, Tarot, Kabbalah, etc. and link them into a coherent philosophical system.

This does, of course, depend on what you consider to be 'coherent'.

Well, "coherent" in the sense that they linked together what were originally entirely separate systems. For instance, connecting a particular Tarot card to a particular zodiac sign or planet. I'm not entirely convinced by some of their arguments. They could only make their Tarot theory work, for instance, by transposing the order of two cards in the deck.

Their major "triumph" in this field was taking the Kabbalah, which was purely a rarefied branch of Jewish mysticism, and linking it to pretty much everything else in the world. The entire western version of the Kabbalah (what you'll read in "Teach Yourself Kabbalah" type books) is based entirely on Golden Dawn work.

They even devised ways to link the Kabbalah to every god and spiritual entity from every religion throughout history. Which is quite a feat when you remember that the entire original point of the Kabbalah was the worship of the Jewish version of God.

On other points, I can most heartily recommend http://www.sacred-texts.com/. It's a complete free library of holy books, mythologies, and similar topics, from the major modern religions to the fringes of crankiness. Do support the site by buying their CD or DVD version if you can.

Aleister Crowley was a very, very disturbed and deeply weird man. His parents were fanatically strict Christians of the evangelical type, so it's no real surprise how he turned out. He had a natural talent for occult work, but not the necessary self-discipline to handle it. His writings do contain a few nuggets of gold, but you've got to work damn hard to find them. Crowley had a particular taste for writing unreadably florid poem-prayers in which sex acts are couched in layer upon layer of religious symbology.

You can find a load of Crowley's writings in the Sacred Texts Archive (link above) under the heading "Thelema".

Frumious
439159.  Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:48 am Reply with quote

A waiter at the Café Royal used to tell this story about Crowley. “I’d only been working here for a week when this chap came into the Café wearing funny clothes, stood in the middle of the place and started babbling away in some weird language. Nobody paid him any attention, but I asked the Head Waiter if something should be done, but he told me not to worry, it was just Mr Crowley being invisible again."

Sebastian flyte
439186.  Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:52 am Reply with quote

:D!!

Lumpo31
439249.  Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:14 am Reply with quote

Sebastian flyte wrote:
The Golden Dawn had some very influential people within its ranks. W. B. Yeats, Aleister Crowley, Constance Wilde, Algernon Blackwood, Arthur Machen, A. E. Waite, Annie Horniman, Florence Farr, Gerald Kelly and Maude Gonne were all members. There was also a rumour that Wallace Budge, who was in charge of Egyptology at the British Museum, was also involved, although this has never been verified.
Annie Horniman was the daughter of Frederick Horniman, he of tea and Museum fame. They too have a fairly substantial Egyptian collection, which I find interesting...

Annie founded the Abbey Theatre in Dublin and the Gaiety Theatre in Manchester.

Wiki says she was known (due to her tea connections) as "Hornibags". I think that would have as much to do with her surname as anything else...
s:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annie_Elizabeth_Fredericka_Horniman

Celebaelin
439277.  Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Ingredients
20ml/¾fl oz calvados
20ml/¾fl oz dry gin
20ml/¾fl oz Cointreau (or similar orange liqueur)
20ml/¾fl oz apricot liqueur
20ml/¾fl oz orange juice
ice cubes
1 stemless maraschino cherry, to garnish

Place the calvados, gin, apricot liqueur and maraschino cherry in a chilled champagne flute frosted with icing sugar. Throw the mixture into the fireplace as forcefully as possible and drink the Cointreau and orange juice in a tall glass over ice.

Amidst all the pruning my post on Crowley has gone missing so I'll add that he was born in Leamington Spa. I know where but perhaps it is better not to make the address public unecessarily.

mckeonj
439284.  Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:18 am Reply with quote

Aleister Crowley, William Shakespeare, and Meatloaf; all have something in common. They could not spell their own names properly.
Any more so gifted?
(merkins please note the proper use of the word 'gifted')

Celebaelin
439290.  Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:25 am Reply with quote

Mr and Mrs Loaf's favourite son cannot spell his own name? Do you mean that he changed it
Quote:
Michael Lee Aday (born Marvin Lee Aday; September 27, 1947),

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meat_Loaf

or is there something I'm missing?

mckeonj
439311.  Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:23 am Reply with quote

In a TV interview with, I think Michael Parkinson:
Interviewer: Why did you use the name 'Meatloaf'?
Meatloaf: Because I couldn't spell my own name.

Starfish13
439313.  Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote

Apparently a b+b in Inverness owns a bed that once belonged to Alesteir Crowley, which is reputed to give the occupants quite a disturbed night. However my source for that information was something like Most Haunted.

What's that, Sam? You make it up as you go along...

I went to school with someone called Crowley. His first name is Damian.

Frumious
439464.  Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote

Sounds like an Omen...

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2