View previous topic | View next topic

George

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Arcane
388919.  Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:30 am Reply with quote

King George III

"Because of his keen interest in agriculture, he was sometimes referred to as "Farmer George."

source: who2

Arcane
388920.  Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:38 am Reply with quote

Lou Gehrig

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis is also called Lou Gehrig's Disease.

An actor with a name starting with G (Gary Cooper) won an Oscar for portraying him in a movie.

Also:

"The Yankees retired Gehrig's uniform number 4 in 1939 -- the first player in any sport ever to receive that honor."

Ian Dunn
388923.  Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:43 am Reply with quote

reddygirl wrote:
We don't get QI in Australia ID, so I haven't as yet caught up with who has said what! (I have the A series DVD but can't recall the bit about the teeth)

It is in episode 11 - with Linda Smith, Bill Bailey and Richard E. Grant.

Another interesting about Geroge Washington is that not only are Washington State and Washington D.C. named after him, but there is an English town called Washington in Tyne and Wear, which is named after his ancestors. The most notable landmark is the nearby Penshaw Monument, which is a folly.

Arcane
388925.  Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:46 am Reply with quote

Thanks ID, I'll go back and have a look.

mckeonj
388942.  Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:21 am Reply with quote

My Great Uncle George is a family legend; many extraordinary feats have been attributed to him, and many wise and witty sayings.
One such story: "Great Uncle George told me never to go into the chorus girls' dressing room; or I might see something I should not see. One day I did go there, and I saw something I should not have: Great Uncle George."
In reality there was nothing very remarkable about him, I remember him in his later years, paralysed by a stroke and bed-ridden, living in a gardener's cottage on the great estate.
I expect other families have a "Great Uncle George", too.

Ian Dunn
389103.  Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:07 am Reply with quote

In Blackadder the Third, Edmund Blackadder claims that Caroline of Brunswick was the only royal person the Prince Regent, the future George IV, could marry. Blackadder claims that Caroline of Brunswick has the worst personality in Germany, being very strict.

In real-life, George and Caroline did marry (and they were also cousins). However, in 1784, George first married Catholic widow Maria Fitzherbert. The wedding however was declared null and void by the 1772 Royal Marriages Act.

When George and Caroline first met, George's first words to her were, "I am not very well, pray get me a glass of brandy." Caroline said that George was, "very stout and by no means as handsome has his portrait."

The wedding itself was a total farce. George drank brandy throughout the wedding ceremony and kept smirking lasciviously at his then mistress, Lady Jersey. At the reception, George collapsed backwards into a fireplace, where he spent the night.

Caroline gave birth nine months later to their only child, Charlotte. Two days after the birth, George made a will which bequeathed just one shilling to Caroline, and left the rest of his estate to Fitzherbert.

Caroline herself is rumoured to he unwashed. Her favourite toy was a Chinese clockwork figure which had a repertoire of unusual sexual positions. Talking of unusual sexual positions, George himself perfered to visit a brothel in Portland Place, run by one Mrs Collett. George liked to be whipped.

Source: Brewer's Rogues, Villains and Eccentrics by William Donaldson.

gerontius grumpus
389277.  Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote

reddygirl wrote:
King George III

"Because of his keen interest in agriculture, he was sometimes referred to as "Farmer George."

This was paticularly apt, considering the meaning of the name George.

Ian Dunn
389309.  Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:28 am Reply with quote

Here's some other Georges.

George Goddard

A policeman who was sent to clean up vice in London's West End, but was in fact being payed by Kate "Ma" Meyrick, owner of amongst other things the Silver Slipper Ckub and the Bunch of Keys. She paid Goddard tip-offs about police raids. She was the insperation for Ma Maybrick in Brideshead Revisited. Goddard claimed in his defence that he was a successful gambler and had an investor in the music-publishing business. He was sentence to 18 months hard labour.

It was not the last time he was to go to court however and he returned, but next time as the plaintiff. While, Goddard had been convicted of taking only 900 in bribes, the Metropolitan Police confiscated all of his money - around 12,500. He successfully got some of his money back and he retired to the country, living off his investments.

George Hanger

At first, Hanger was a gambler and a drunk, who was wounded in the American War of Independence and became friends with George IV for his hobbies (see above for more on George IV). However, his gambling took ahold of him. He once bet 500 on a ten-mile foot race between 20 turkeys and 20 geese. He bet on the turkeys, which dropped out after three miles.

In 1798, he went to debtors' prison, but refused help from his wealthy friends. After 18 months, he came out a totally changed man. He became a coal merchant and enjoyed to embarrassing fashionable society with his new, inferior status.

He went onto write the controversal book The Life, Adventures and Opinions of Col. George Hanger in 1801. In it, he claimed that women should sort out their differences by duelling, that there should be a tax on Scotsmen who spend more than six months of the year in England, and that women should leave via windows because, "this will establish you in your lover's opinion as a woman of spirit."

George Griffiths

Griffiths fell in love with the daughter of his employer, London lawyer Arbuthnot Fraser. Miss Fraser regarded Griffiths as her future husband without telling her father. She wrote him lettrs every day while Griffiths visited friends in Windsor.

However, her father opened one of the letters. He angrily shamed her daughter for her conduct. She claimed that Griffiths was a man who had considerable private means. However, these means came from Griffiths stealing money from sums held by Mr. Fraser on behalf of clients. However, Mr. Fraser did not suspect Griffiths at first.

Griffiths attempted once more to steal some cash. However, in the usual hiding place all there was was a diamond ring. He solded it a jeweller for 12. Unluckily for Griffiths, the jeweller happened to use the same coffee house as Mr. Fraser. Upon realising that the ring was Fraser's, Griffiths was sent to Newgate prison. He pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey and was sentenced to death. Griffths died as a warning to young people prone to wrongful ambitions.

Source: Brewer's Rogues, Villains and Eccentrics by William Donaldson.

jaygeemack
389312.  Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:46 am Reply with quote

George Foreman, of the grill fame, has ten children from various relationships. They are named as follows:

Michi
George Jnr
Georgetta
Freda George
George III
George IV
George V
George VI
Natalie
Leola

No ego problem there, then.

mckeonj
389318.  Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:04 am Reply with quote

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson. Mayor of London, is a direct descendant of King George II.
This was revealed during the making of 'Who do you think you are?' to be shown on BBC1 on August 20th. Also revealed were BJ's Turkish roots.
Some details are given in an article in the Sunday Times this week.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article4449197.ece

Sebastian flyte
394032.  Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:11 pm Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to that good old Al.....I mean Boris :D!!

Mr Grue
395763.  Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:39 am Reply with quote

violetriga wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society_for_the_Prevention_of_Calling_Sleeping_Car_Porters_%22George%22

I'm currently reading the latest Houdini biography, in which there is a scene where Harry buys icecream for everybody on his train carriage, having won a load of money in a craps game1. This sequence features a porter called George, though the name is used without comment.

markvent
395816.  Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:51 am Reply with quote

. .

Last edited by markvent on Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Starfish13
398948.  Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote

George Eliot

Author of works including The Mill on the Floss, Daniel Daronda, Middlemarch and Slias Marner, whose real name was Mary Ann (Marian) Evans. She took a masculine nom-de-plume to distinguish herself from 'lady writers of silly novels'.

bobwilson
399092.  Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote

George was an early ICL operating system on the 1900 series of computers.

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next