View previous topic | View next topic

Germany

Page 13 of 13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Le Ricain
670708.  Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:20 pm Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:
When Germany first beat England would not have been 1968 as that would have been West Germany. The correct answer would be a date post unification.

Would not the term Germany have applied to both East and West Germany in this context?

AlmondFacialBar
670734.  Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:28 am Reply with quote

no, east germany established its own team well before 1968.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

suze
670856.  Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:01 am Reply with quote

Well quite. But it seems usual to regard West Germany as the successors of the nation which existed before 1945, and to regard the reunified Germany as the successors of West Germany. That is how FIFA does it, in any case.

England played four times against East Germany, and recorded three wins and a draw. So that nation doesn't change the fact that it was 1968 before England lost to any football team with Germany in its name.

Although 1968 was not the first time that England lost to any successor state of the Gro▀deutsches Reich - it lost to Austria in 1961.

Zebra57
670993.  Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote

Suze: I am not too sure that all Germans would agree that West Germany was the successor of the nation that existed before 1945. Perhaps one of our German QIers would like to comment.

AlmondFacialBar
671026.  Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:36 pm Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:
Suze: I am not too sure that all Germans would agree that West Germany was the successor of the nation that existed before 1945. Perhaps one of our German QIers would like to comment.

the german constitution defines the federal republic of germany (that is west germany from 1949 to 1990 and currently the area defined by the 1990 treaty on the final settlement with respect to germany) as the same international legal subject as the german reich before it, not as its legal successor, and international law goes along with that. that has partly to do with the wish to create a strong legal continuity, partly with the acknowledgment that we can't just pretend the third reich didn't happen and partly with the historically volatile situation of germany as a whole (that's actually a precise legal term) between 1945 and 1990. during that time, germany was legally defined under the terms of the 1945 potsdam conference, i.e. the area within the borders of 31st december, 1937, part of which was under occupation. part of that went out of the window with the warschau treaty of 1970, but the rest only with the 1990 treaty mentioned above. germany as a whole is now defined as the area within the borders defined by that treaty under international law, and as the area covered by the germany constitution internally. this way or the other, we're not the heirs of the reich, we're essentially just its current administrators. make sense? my head is spinning now... ;-)

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

sarabyrd
845270.  Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:41 am Reply with quote

Hello from Munich; I came across this forum via the BBC Comedy site. I contacted them with two mistakes that I found on the page for Season G "Germany":

"1) '"Sitzpinkeln" means "to stand up when urinating", while "Stehpinkler"
means "to sit down when urinating".
'- Exactly the other way around: Stehpinkeln is standing up, Sitzpinkeln is
sitting down.

2) 'The Munich Oktoberfest takes place in September, and only occasionally
overlaps into October. It is one of the largest regular festivals or fairs
in the world, with six million people a year visiting it. 6,940,600 litres
of beer are drunk during it.'
- The Oktoberfest generally begins on the third Saturday in September and
ends on the first Sunday in October. Should the third Saturday in September
fall on 15 September the Oktoberfest starts on 22 September (fourth
Saturday) to ensure that is does actually take place in October. Due to 3
October now being a public holiday in Germany the Oktoberfest sometimes runs
17 days if 3 October is a Monday (as is the case in 2011), or even 18 days
if 3 October is a Tuesday.

I would appreciate it if you could correct these errors."

BBC recommended posting here so that the diligent QI elves have a chance to check the data and possibly correct it.

I will browse this site and possibly join the banter once my season business winds down.

All the best, Sara

Jenny
845404.  Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:39 pm Reply with quote

Welcome Sarabyrd :-)

We have a few people on this site who are either German or post from Germany.

sarabyrd
845417.  Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote

Matter of fact, I'm American and desperately want the series shown in the US. Yes, I have signed the petition.

Callum
870024.  Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote

Why is it so difficult to get a DVD or some sort of copy of this show and most of the other shows?

suze
870042.  Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:09 pm Reply with quote

The unfortunate answer to that is that the first three seasons have been put out on DVD, but haven't sold all that well. That does not encourage anyone to put the later seasons out.

Where did we get stehpinkeln and sitzpinkeln the wrong way around? It was correct on the show; I just checked that.

I have to say that I find the whole subject a bit odd. There absolutely is a movement in Germany (and, to a lesser extent, in France) which consider it improper for men to stand while urinating. (This only applies to lavatories. There is no objection to standing when using a urinal.)

That movement is built on a false premise, though. The claim is that if a man stands, he is likely to miss the bowl and deposit urine on the floor. But I am reliably informed that - while a man might occasionally miss the bowl during the act of urination - it's much more likely to happen during the shaking process which concludes the activity. For which, I am again reliably informed, a man will often stand even if he has sat for the main part of the action.

And in any case, do we really want to take advice on the correct use of lavatories from the nation which gave us the lavatory with built in viewing platform ...?

Bianco
870046.  Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
And in any case, do we really want to take advice on the correct use of lavatories from the nation which gave us the lavatory with built in viewing platform ...?

A German housemate of mine recently suggested that the viewing platform is the very reason why German males spray their urine around. Other nations have deeper bowls, thus less spraying.

sarabyrd
870121.  Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:27 am Reply with quote

My German ex was a Waschbeckenstehpinkler - he peed in the washbowl.

The mistake was on the BBC site, not here. As almost always, the information on the show was correct.

sarabyrd

Jenny
870146.  Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:49 am Reply with quote

Well it's good to know that it was the BBC's fault and not ours :-)

CB27
870184.  Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:40 pm Reply with quote

Waiting for someone to pop up and have a go at the BBC.... :)

Page 13 of 13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13