View previous topic | View next topic

Germany

Page 12 of 13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

suze
664988.  Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote

If you're speaking English you may do, but do you have any word other than Stadt to use in German?

AlmondFacialBar
664990.  Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote

nope... it's all done with (of course) compounds. under 50000 is a kleinstadt, between 50 000 and 100 000 is a mittelstadt (rarely used), between 100 000 and a million is a grossstadt and anything above a million is a weltstadt (which sounds slightly absurd in the case of munich but well, i guess they occasionally like feeling cool, too).

and regarding places starting with a y, i can offer yach in the black forest, though admittedly that's not a city but a village of about 1000 souls. interestingly enough, though, it's pronounced ╦ich, which certainly wouldn't come naturally to me.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

suze
665008.  Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote

Well, Munich has hosted the Olympic Games and the World Cup final, so I suppose we have to let it count as a Weltstadt!

Top work on finding Yach - and no, I wouldn't have had a clue as to how to pronounce it.

Austria has a town called Ybbs an der Donau. I'd probably have pronounced that as though it were "▄bbs", but apparently it's actually "Ipps".

AlmondFacialBar
667087.  Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Well, Munich has hosted the Olympic Games and the World Cup final, so I suppose we have to let it count as a Weltstadt!

Top work on finding Yach - and no, I wouldn't have had a clue as to how to pronounce it.

Austria has a town called Ybbs an der Donau. I'd probably have pronounced that as though it were "▄bbs", but apparently it's actually "Ipps".

hm yes, i guess you have a point about munich there, but still... it feels wrong... ;-)

i'd have pronounced ybbs the same way as you, but then austrians have always been different...

AlmondFacialBar

Last edited by AlmondFacialBar on Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Vacca
667092.  Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
name German cities (no I dunno why either).

My mother went first (Berlin, Munich, Paris -

Was this during World War 2, or is there a Paris in Germany?

bobwilson
667157.  Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
bob, if you were happy with English names, then why not Cologne for C?

I was showing off.

Quote:
the following are the largest German towns/cities

Someone from Salzgitter told me that it (Salzgitter) was the largest something (city/town?) in (West? - this was before 1989) Germany - by area. According to him it's spread out over a huge area but still constitutes one unit.

Quote:
Was this during World War 2, or is there a Paris in Germany?

No - my mother is as geographically challenged as an American.

Zebra57
667467.  Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote

Could anyone make up a virtual German city to complete the list?

How about Yattersburg?

AlmondFacialBar
667783.  Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
Someone from Salzgitter told me that it (Salzgitter) was the largest something (city/town?) in (West? - this was before 1989) Germany - by area. According to him it's spread out over a huge area but still constitutes one unit.

wow... something interesting about salzgitter... the fact that

a) salzgitter is in my homestate, at best a two hours' drive away from my village

b) i've even been there once or twice

and

c) i still didn't know that

will tell you how little that place would be missed if it suddenly disapparead into a geological fault overnight. i don't think it would even make the news because no one would notice.

which brings me to another extremely uninteresting fact about german place names: lufthansa planes are named after german towns and cities. fine ieda you'd think, only... they're never named anything cool, like, say, hamburg, berlin, cologne, but only ever named after towns and cities no one's ever really heard of and no one would miss, places like landshut, bruchsal or, yes, salzgitter. what does that tell us about the way lufthansa feel about their planes? i don't even want to know. *GULP*

(regarding that particular thought i'm deeply indebted to the german comedian eckart von hirschhausen, who also has a thoroughly enjoyable and truthful monologue on the phaenomenon of air travel related overconsumption of tomato juice... anyways... he's right.)

AlmondFacialBar

AlmondFacialBar
668989.  Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:43 pm Reply with quote

WOW! just found a seriously good american source for german historical documents, check it out!

http://germanhistorydocs.ghi-dc.org/index.cfm

AlmondFacialBar

Le Ricain
669596.  Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:32 am Reply with quote

When watching the Germany show, I was disappointed with the England-Germany Football rivalry section. The show covered well the fact that rivalry is only perceived by the English as the Germans feel a great rivalry with the Dutch.

My disappointment was that the show missed the key question:

"Germany and England have been playing football matches since 1899. In which year did Germany first defeat England?"

suze
669650.  Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:43 pm Reply with quote

1968, I do believe ...

Le Ricain
669828.  Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:23 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
1968, I do believe ...

You are exactly correct. The year 1966 which the English go on and on about was for the Germans just one more defeat at football at the hands of the English. It is hardly the basis of a great rivalry if one team beats the other team all the time.

Since 1968 England and Germany have met 18 times and the Germans have won 11 times (including penalty shootouts) and drew twice. This time the results are too lopsided the other way to form the basis for a great rivalry from a German point of view.

The German Dutch rivalry is just perfect. The two nations have met 8 times and each nation has won three times.

Zebra57
669830.  Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote

When Germany first beat England would not have been 1968 as that would have been West Germany. The correct answer would be a date post unification.

samivel
669842.  Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote

11th September, 1991.

bobwilson
669843.  Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote

Quote:
date post unification.

well it would have been 10th September 1991 but it was delayed in the post

Page 12 of 13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next