Page 11 of 13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Efros
632406.  Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:08 pm Reply with quote

Which one we brits have had so many!

martin boorman
643821.  Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:23 am Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
Who is this Martin Boorman geezer, Martin Borman is the nazi but Boorman apparently is on facebook.

LOL - thats my facebook page. Boy the joy of having such an infamous name!

Jenny
643931.  Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote

Hi Martin and welcome to QI - stick around :-)

And it's OK to google yourself. Honestly :-)

AlmondFacialBar
643996.  Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:27 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
The most famous connection with Germany, however, is the bribery scandal that almost took down Lockheed. The Germans and Dutch defence ministers were illegally paid millions of dollars to buy the F104.

can't comment on the dutch guy, but at least regarding the german minister of defence these allegations were never proven and eventually dropped. though, in fairness, i wouldn't be at all surprised if they were true.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Alfred J. Eisenmann
662187.  Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote

In the Germany episode, SF was trying so hard not do the usual Nazi stuff it was almost painful. AD tried a little bit with the German dog killing the neighbor's dog and immediately people started cheering. Apart from that they were unnaturally careful not to fall back into the old routine.

Then, one or two episodes later, during the bit about Carl Benz they let it all out, especially Davies, and everyone loved it.

Why didn't they just do the Germany episode the way everyone wanted it to be: Hitler, Nazis, goose step, war, killing, screaming and so on?

hassan el kebir
662245.  Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:28 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
And it's OK to google yourself. Honestly :-)

I googled myself and the very last site offered to me was naked goth cat-wrestling which confused me slightly but hey, what the hell, I've not tried it before, who knows, I may like it ;-)

dr.bob
662461.  Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:53 am Reply with quote

Alfred J. Eisenmann wrote:
Why didn't they just do the Germany episode the way everyone wanted it to be: Hitler, Nazis, goose step, war, killing, screaming and so on?

They're obviously saving Hitler for the "H" series!

Alfred J. Eisenmann
664472.  Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote

I guess so. This better be a proper Germany/Nazi episode then.

Dr. Know
664476.  Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote

Knien verbogen, arm gestreckt, ra ra ra.

sorry.

bobwilson
664576.  Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote

I (accompanied by my mother) got stopped in the street by some German students who were asking people to name German cities (no I dunno why either).

My mother went first (Berlin, Munich, Paris - she was stumped after that)

I went for an alphabetical list

Aachen, Bremen, Coblenz (in the English spelling) or Chemnitz (but that's contentious) so let's go with Cottbus, Dortmund, Essen, Frankfurt (that's am Rhein not and der Oder), Giessen, Hamburg, Idar-Oberstein, Jena, Karsruhe, Ludwigsburg, Munchen/Munich, Nurnberg, Orianenberg, Paderborn

and then I got stuck at Q. Is there a German city beginning with Q?

samivel
664602.  Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:00 am Reply with quote

I don't know if they count as 'cities', but Quakenbrück, Quedlinburg, Querfurt and Quickborn all start with Q. Quickborn is twinned with Uckfield in East Sussex.

exnihilo
664614.  Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:07 am Reply with quote

I for one am perfectly happy that it wasn't an entire episode on Hitler and the Nazis. Presumably the people asking that it should be don't have Sky where they would have access to the Nazi Channel all day every day.

AlmondFacialBar
664868.  Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote

bobwilson wrote:
I (accompanied by my mother) got stopped in the street by some German students who were asking people to name German cities (no I dunno why either).

My mother went first (Berlin, Munich, Paris - she was stumped after that)

I went for an alphabetical list

Aachen, Bremen, Coblenz (in the English spelling) or Chemnitz (but that's contentious) so let's go with Cottbus, Dortmund, Essen, Frankfurt (that's am Rhein not and der Oder), Giessen, Hamburg, Idar-Oberstein, Jena, Karsruhe, Ludwigsburg, Munchen/Munich, Nurnberg, Orianenberg, Paderborn

and then I got stuck at Q. Is there a German city beginning with Q?

sounds like they were either researching what brits know about germany to meor were trying to win a bet... ;-) as for chemnitz, nothing contentious there, it didn't even make it to reunification as karl-marx-stadt. they had a referendum on 23rd april, 1990 about the name of the city, and 76% of its citizens wanted it back as chemnitz, so it reverted back to its old name on 1st june. and oranienburg is not definitely not a city, with a population of just over 40000 it firmly comes under the heading of town. how about osnabrueck instead? ;-)

samivel wrote:
I don't know if they count as 'cities', but Quakenbrück, Quedlinburg, Querfurt and Quickborn all start with Q. Quickborn is twinned with Uckfield in East Sussex.

quedlinburg can be counted as a city i guess. quakenbrueck and querfurt are both small towns and quickborn is pretty much a suburb of hamburg (part of the bacon belt).

AlmondFacialBar

suze
664986.  Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote

bob, if you were happy with English names, then why not Cologne for C? As for Cottbus, it's the largest town/city* in Germany which is substantially Sorbian speaking, so it has two official names these days - Cottbus and Chóśebuz. But both start with a C, so it doesn't enable me to get pedantic.

Anyways, the following are the largest German towns/cities beginning with each letter of the alphabet. The source is the Statistisches Bundesamt Deutschland official estimates as 31 Dec 2008; Germany hasn't held a proper census since 1987 - and that was only West Germany - so these estimates are the best there is. A new census is due to be held next year.

Augsburg, Berlin, Chemnitz, Dortmund, Essen, Frankfurt am Main, Gelsenkirchen, Hamburg, Ingolstadt, Jena, Köln, Leipzig, München, Nürnberg, Oberhausen, Potsdam, Quedlinburg, Rostock (spit†), Stuttgart, Trier, Ulm, Velbert, Wuppertal, Xanten, Zwickau.

There doesn't appear to be anywhere starting with Y.

* Unlike Britain, the USA, Canada, Poland, and lots of other countries, Germany doesn't make a formal distinction between the concepts of "town" and "city".
† Supporters of FC Hansa Rostock tend to be right wing and not to like supporters of FC St Pauli, everyone's favourite anarcho-loony football team. So I spit on their city!

AlmondFacialBar
664987.  Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote

well, we basically distinguish by size, anything with a population above 50000 would be a city. never knew velbert was that big, gosh! and you've got my on the german cities with a y prowl now... ;-)

and yay for you re rostock! :-D

AlmondFacialBar

Page 11 of 13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next